Fromm is at BEST a 5th round pick! (and other QB thoughts)

ScoDucks823

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

I am not very high on Fromm either. That said, here are other QBs that went in round 3-4 in the past 5 years: Will Grier,  Ryan Finley, Jarrett Stidham, Mason Rudolph, Kyle Lauletta, Davis Webb, CJ Beathard, Josh Dobbs (lol), Jacoby Brissett, Cody Kessler, Connor Cook, Dak Prescott, Cardale Jones, Garrett Grayson, Sean Mannion, Bryce Petty.

Now, avoiding hindsight for what it is, I think I would have taken Fromm over most of these guys from how I felt about them. Exceptions would have included Grier, Rudolph, Cook. That's probably it. 

Yeah.  I think when you lay out the list like this, it becomes pretty clear that teams will spend those 3rd/4th round picks on guys they like...even if like Fromm, they have some lackluster "tools", but a lot of experience and other ability to lean on as a "game manager".

It's either that...or you're taking guys with significant "tools" that you're going to try to "fix".  Some teams are just in situations or have philosophies where they don't much care to tinker with those massive projects.  So they take Fromm types that can give them cheap backup play with less extensive "grooming" and "fixing".

9 minutes ago, ScoDucks823 said:

Saw another poster on this forum, but I'm seeing him more commonly listed at 4-6. I just don't personally see anything from him that justifies being a mid-round pick

A looney tune on this forum saying Fromm is #3 does not mean you are seeing Fromm being talked about as the #3. It means 1 random guy on a forum, who may or may not be 12 years old, thinks Fromm is QB3.

1 Burrow
2 Tua
3 Love/Herbert
5 Eason
6 Gordon
7 Morgan/Stanley
9 Hurts/Fromm

I'd say he's 9th or 10th. Probably 10th.

Edited by Jeezla

1 minute ago, Jeezla said:

A looney tune on this forum saying Fromm is #3 does not mean you are seeing Fromm being talked about as the #3. It means 1 random guy on a forum, who may or may not be 12 years old, thinks Fromm is QB3.

1 Burrow
2 Tua
3 Love/Herbert
5 Eason
6 Gordon
7 Morgan/Stanley
9 Hurts/Fromm

I'd say he's 9th or 10th.

Fair point, I made this OP after hearing the BR guys (desperate for content in this weird time, these guys really just frustrate me more than anything) and they keep hammering at him being a 2nd rounder. 

Surprised to see Hurts so low on your board. What's the reasoning there? I have him right in line with eason and those 2 a significant step down from Love (who I have a fairly decent step below Herbert, but I recognize there may be some bias there on my end so I don't push too hard against people who have them similarly ranked)

Burrow
Tua
Herbert
Eason
Love
Hurts
Gordon
Fromm
Stanley
Morgan

Eason is the guy i'm higher on that most, and I think Hurts is the cream of the crop for the long term backups.  Honestly, I like Hurts more than Love, but Love has the upside to be a good starter with his physical tools whereas I think Hurts is close to maxed out.  I just don't think Love is going to come anywhere close to his ceiling.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ScoDucks823 said:

Fair point, I made this OP after hearing the BR guys (desperate for content in this weird time, these guys really just frustrate me more than anything) and they keep hammering at him being a 2nd rounder. 

Surprised to see Hurts so low on your board. What's the reasoning there? I have him right in line with eason and those 2 a significant step down from Love (who I have a fairly decent step below Herbert, but I recognize there may be some bias there on my end so I don't push too hard against people who have them similarly ranked)

Hurts relies on athleticism too much. He's like young McNabb. He's good when he's a threat to run for 50-70 yards, but not really anything to worry about when he's not running, unless he has all day to throw.

Edited by Jeezla

1 minute ago, Jeezla said:

Hurts relies on athleticism too much. 

Don't disagree with this point, I guess with how the league is going I just don't see this as AS much of a negative as I would have previously. I also think he can at least contribute in some creative ways whereas the others can't (he can provide more of an impact than just as a QB so i think it's easier to justify using a mid-round pick on a known backup)

I don't think that point alone is enough to drop him below guys like Morgan and Stanley, who I view as true longshots to contribute in any way

Just now, ScoDucks823 said:

Don't disagree with this point, I guess with how the league is going I just don't see this as AS much of a negative as I would have previously. I also think he can at least contribute in some creative ways whereas the others can't (he can provide more of an impact than just as a QB so i think it's easier to justify using a mid-round pick on a known backup)

I don't think that point alone is enough to drop him below guys like Morgan and Stanley, who I view as true longshots to contribute in any way

Hurts has to get a HC that's going to cater to his specific skills, and that probably won't happen.

3 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Burrow
Tua
Herbert
Eason
Love
Hurts
Gordon
Fromm
Stanley
Morgan

Eason is the guy i'm higher on that most, and I think Hurts is the cream of the crop for the long term backups.  Honestly, I like Hurts more than Love, but Love has the upside to be a good starter with his physical tools whereas I think Hurts is close to maxed out.  I just don't think Love is going to come anywhere close to his ceiling.

I like this list, I see the reasons to put Eason there even if I wouldn't myself. Both he and Love some to be pure potential bets and I just think Love's athletic upside pushes him higher than Eason. I definitely have Tua at 2, but OMG does his injury history scare me. I wouldn't want to be the GM to take him

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ScoDucks823 said:

I like this list, I see the reasons to put Eason there even if I wouldn't myself. Both he and Love some to be pure potential bets and I just think Love's athletic upside pushes him higher than Eason. I definitely have Tua at 2, but OMG does his injury history scare me. I wouldn't want to be the GM to take him

Injury history aside i'd have Burrow and Tua very close, but damn, two ankle surgeries and a hip surgery at age 21?  That's scary.

1 minute ago, THE DUKE said:

Injury history aside i'd have Burrow and Tua very close, but damn, two ankle surgeries and a hip surgery at age 21?  That's scary.

2 ankle surgeries performed via methods (tightrope surgery) with unproven long term trajectories too. And his hip injury is something typically seen in trauma (ie car crashes), not a fairly routine tackle. Points to some kind of soft-tissue deficiency that isn't going to just go away

Edited by ScoDucks823