Running backs !!!!

Gibster16226

I know you guys dream of a RB but I would be very surprised with all of the needs.  LT is a big need.  Speed WR. 

If they take one I would expect it to be another day 3. Some quality RBs will be on the board on day 3

Give me James Robinson or Darrynton Evans or even Sewo Olonilua on day 3. Don't waste my time with a RB at 2.49 if a LT or a quality EDGE or William Gay, Jr. or a high quality safety is on the board.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

I know you guys dream of a RB but I would be very surprised with all of the needs.  LT is a big need.  Speed WR. 

If they take one I would expect it to be another day 3. Some quality RBs will be on the board on day 3

Give me James Robinson or Darrynton Evans or even Sewo Olonilua on day 3. Don't waste my time with a RB at 2.49 if a LT or a quality EDGE or William Gay, Jr. or a high quality safety is on the board.

What's up with Willie Gay? I've heard nothing to make me think he'll be a 2nd round pick. Also, do we really need another high pick at ILB?

1 minute ago, jebrick said:

I am saying that they should not pick a Rb on day 2 meaning the 2nd or 3rd round.  They need a Speed WR, a LT ILB depth, safety depth.  Rb is a luxury pick.

I am good with this.  Don't think it will happen, but I would do it.

Not gonna lie, I love me some Darryington Evans.

46 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I am saying that they should not pick a Rb on day 2 meaning the 2nd or 3rd round.  They need a Speed WR, a LT ILB depth, safety depth.  Rb is a luxury pick.

How is RB a luxury pick but LT isn’t? Villy is solid and 10 times more reliable than James Conner.

What do you mean by “speed” wide receiver? Washington proved to be a reliable deep threat last year and should only improve with Ben and DJ was one of the best separators in the league as a rookie last year. Add in JuJu, Ebron who is basically a wide receiver and Cain who is a fine #4/5 and I don’t see how wide receiver wouldn’t be a “luxury” pick. 

Sure we need safety and ILB depth but we need RB depth as well. We saw what happened when Conner went out last year, it was a disaster. Not to mention this is the last year of his contract.

I trust Bush/VW and Edmunds/Minkah to be reliable and stay healthy FAR more than I do Conner. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, jebrick said:

RB is no more of a luxury pick than others you mentioned.  Conner goes down and we have next to nothing after him.  And its almost a guarantee he will go down.

I dont prioritize RB high at all in terms of team building, but the facts are a)  they are trying to make Ben's job easier b) we do not currently have a dependable RB, and c)  RB can make an immediate impact more than most other positions.

I'm not saying RB will definitely be the pick.  The Steelers traditionally go with the BPA on their board that fits a need, and I dont expect that to change.  

Im just saying, dont be surprised if it's a RB, and if it is, I personally dont have an issue with it.

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

What's up with Willie Gay? I've heard nothing to make me think he'll be a 2nd round pick. Also, do we really need another high pick at ILB?

Bunch of red flags.  Kicked off the team... that kinda stuff.

But, we need another ILB.  Asking a lot of UG3 to be the nickelbacker with only a 1/2 a year of playing.

LT is a need, but not on the level of ILB/S.  It is about right there with RB/WR, IMO.

We NEED depth at S/ILB.  Those guys are going to play.  A WR/RB will also play, but not of necessity.

12 minutes ago, jebrick said:

LT not a need?  Villy is going to be 32 and at the end of his contract.  If a LT is there it is a much higher priority than RB

While I agree, they're in "Ben mode" right now and a new LT doesn't help right now. I wouldn't think any Rookie LT will take the starting role away from Al this year and maybe not even the next.

Edited by Chieferific

I do not see LT as a need. Offensive linemen playing to and past 35 really isnt crazy, and Villy isnt showing signs of physical decline. I see a 2 year extension for Villy kicking the LT need down the line. Its next year I would start looking for that replacement. Draft a top end LT next year, have a year to sit and if he can compete in year 2 AV's contract will be expendable post Ben. 

But I still don't want a running back....I'm maximizing all 4 years of my RBs contract. Its the only time they are really worth the money. And Philip Lindsay could be on the block if we decide the Conner/Snell thing doesnt work in 2020. 

4 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I do not see LT as a need. Offensive linemen playing to and past 35 really isnt crazy, and Villy isnt showing signs of physical decline. I see a 2 year extension for Villy kicking the LT need down the line. Its next year I would start looking for that replacement. Draft a top end LT next year, have a year to sit and if he can compete in year 2 AV's contract will be expendable post Ben. 

But I still don't want a running back....I'm maximizing all 4 years of my RBs contract. Its the only time they are really worth the money. And Philip Lindsay could be on the block if we decide the Conner/Snell thing doesnt work in 2020. 

I think Royce Freeman will actually be the one on the trading block and he would absolutely beast in our system. But I'm also ok with RB @ #49. 

48 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

I think Royce Freeman will actually be the one on the trading block and he would absolutely beast in our system. But I'm also ok with RB @ #49. 

Royce can be had right now, but unless Denver is looking like a playoff contender I think Lindsay's available at the deadline when we would know more about our RB room. That’s why I’d rather skip RB. There’s some quality names that will be FAs next year. Should be some quality bodies if we need a mid season change. 

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

LT not a need?  Villy is going to be 32 and at the end of his contract.  If a LT is there it is a much higher priority than RB

I didn’t say it’s not a need, I said it wouldn’t be any less of a luxury pick than RB.

Villy is 32 but has only played for 5 seasons. That would put him as a 27 year old in terms of playing years. And he hasn’t really shown much of a decline yet. And most importantly he’s started 16 games 4 years in a row.

Drafting Villy’s replacement with our first pick is a clear luxury pick and the opposite of a “win-now” pick which Colbert/Tomlin have proven we are in. We can worry about his replacement in 2022. 

Edited by bigben07MVP
  • Like 1

Just because RB is a top need doesn't mean you spend your only top 100 pick and 49th pick on one.

And how is IOL a bigger need than LT? They have no OT under contract after this year. AV appears to be declining, will be a 32-year old FA seeking his first big payday. I think Feiler gets the LG spot, gets the payday, AV walks. Now is the time to draft a LT you can bring along this year and expect to start in 2021. You have Derwin Gray, Feiler, Wisniewski, and probably even Chuk and Banner to play G. Maybe you could draft a future C but I don't see IOL as big a need as LT, DT, RB, speed WR, blocking TE, ILBdepth, EDGE depth.

I see valid points to both sides of the RB vs. LT argument. 

At age 32, Villy is not old for an OL.  OL's typically can and some do play into their mid 30's.  Most of the problem with veteran OL's is the salary becomes too high.  That is precisely what happened with Ramon Foster.  He could have played another year, but for what he wanted $$$, getting a younger free agent like Wiz made much more sense.  I agree that the Steelers are in a win now mode. Picking at 49, they are not going to find the next Joe Thomas there.  Even if they find a very good to a great player, that player is going to take time to develop and would not help much in 2020 unless absolutely forced into service a la Mason and Duck in 2019 at QB.  

I "personally"still see a need at IOL. We can certainly debate how much of a "priority" that is. If you have a solid IOL sitting that is your highest rated player in round two, three or four, I think you take him: Cushenberry, Ruiz, Biadasz, etc.  They have DeCastro, Wiz, and Feiler if they move him inside. Personally, I would keep him at RT.  

The Steelers have three RT types with Feiler, Banner, and Chuks.  The jury is still out if Chuks can be a replacement for Villy in a year or two at LT in some people's minds.  They do have a back-up LT if you believe in Chuks, or they have none if you don't.  If so, then LT is a bit of a priority. Is it actually better to address that with a cut or free agent signing rather than trying to draft a developmental guy? I think so.

It would be hard to pass on some of the RB's at #49, especially if they are the BPA.  I think Connor does bounce back, but I also believe that you are better served to have another back as well. Some argue that Samuels and or Snell is it. Others believe that one of the backs listed earlier in the thread might be better.  It depends on who you like. I think Connors has a good year and they resign him next year to a respectable deal.  Snell can be a short-yardage back and I see him making Samuels expendable, especially if Connors stays healthy and can be utilized in the passing game as he has before.  Besides the obvious guys Swift, Taylor, Akers, I like UCLA's Josh Kelly, Maryland's Anthony McFarland, and BC's AJ Dillon.