Round by Round Mock (you make the pick RD 5 page 7)

squire12

I would suggest to @squire12 that you put in the position played for each draft pick. It's not so important in round one, we all know the names there, but do you know the positions of all the players that might be available in round five ? I certainly don't. Sure some positions might be flexible for some players and some listed as a (for example) OT may project to guard in the NFL, but on balance, put in the position played/projected.

Of the players listed as available, I choose DL Blacklock in round one.

1. Lucas Niang OT TCU

2. Ross Blacklock IDL TCU

3. A.J. Epenesa IDL/EDGE IOWA

Niang 2019 film showed a fair amount of struggles in the few games he played. His season ended early due to getting his hip cleaned up. From what I hear his 2018 film showed his ability to move much better, and that he has the tools to be a player in pass protection as well as the run game. IMO much more polished than Josh Jones or Austin Jackson. Easily my OT 5.

Blackock has a lot of parallels to Simmons last year (The guy I wanted over Gary). Explosive mover. Enough length to two gap, needs some more good weight to hold up in the run game. His combine was good not great but he is not far removed from an ACL injury. Has the ability to be the interior penetrator and pass rusher we need alongside Clark.

Epenesa was almost my first choice. He looks like exactly the type of EDGE you’d play in Pettine’s system who also has the ability to move to interior on obvious pass downs ala Zadarius Smith. Like Smith, his game is predicated on his size, length, and technique rather than athleticism. Take a look at Smith’s combine numbers and you’ll see some similarities. At the same time, I’d be wary using premium draft capital on such a poor tester. I believe there’s a pretty decent correlation between testing numbers or lack there of and success in the NFL as a EDGE rusher. Z. Smith was a 4th rounder I believe so much less risk taking that player. It’s a shame Epenesa didn’t get a chance to run at a pro day. His highlights show a good not great mover, but not as poor of a mover as his combine indicates.

4 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I would suggest to @squire12 that you put in the position played for each draft pick. It's not so important in round one, we all know the names there, but do you know the positions of all the players that might be available in round five ? I certainly don't. Sure some positions might be flexible for some players and some listed as a (for example) OT may project to guard in the NFL, but on balance, put in the position played/projected.

Of the players listed as available, I choose DL Blacklock in round one.

Noted.  

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Give me Austin Jackson I guess, though this is pretty clearly the top of the tier and we should be trading back.

Agreed, but since I am a singular entity, that is not an option in this exercise.  Otherwise it just becomes... "trade back for awesome value all the time".  There is only 1 Bill O'Brien in the league;)

• Like 1