Round by Round Mock (you make the pick RD 5 page 7)

squire12

1 hour ago, Lieker said:

1. Lucas Niang OT TCU

2. Ross Blacklock IDL TCU

3. A.J. Epenesa IDL/EDGE IOWA

Niang 2019 film showed a fair amount of struggles in the few games he played. His season ended early due to getting his hip cleaned up. From what I hear his 2018 film showed his ability to move much better, and that he has the tools to be a player in pass protection as well as the run game. IMO much more polished than Josh Jones or Austin Jackson. Easily my OT 5.

I like Niang, but the hip issue does scare my lo g term.  First round pick, that matters more vs 3rd or later.

1 hour ago, Lieker said:

Blackock has a lot of parallels to Simmons last year (The guy I wanted over Gary). Explosive mover. Enough length to two gap, needs some more good weight to hold up in the run game. His combine was good not great but he is not far removed from an ACL injury. Has the ability to be the interior penetrator and pass rusher we need alongside Clark.

My choice as well

1 hour ago, Lieker said:

Epenesa was almost my first choice. He looks like exactly the type of EDGE you’d play in Pettine’s system who also has the ability to move to interior on obvious pass downs ala Zadarius Smith. Like Smith, his game is predicated on his size, length, and technique rather than athleticism. Take a look at Smith’s combine numbers and you’ll see some similarities. At the same time, I’d be wary using premium draft capital on such a poor tester. I believe there’s a pretty decent correlation between testing numbers or lack there of and success in the NFL as a EDGE rusher. Z. Smith was a 4th rounder I believe so much less risk taking that player. It’s a shame Epenesa didn’t get a chance to run at a pro day. His highlights show a good not great mover, but not as poor of a mover as his combine indicates.

Agreed

I think it's a bit of a reach, but I'm taking Austin Jackson. He's not ready to play this year, but with Bak up next year and Wagner pretty much a 1 year contract, I've got to go that way. I"d love to grab one of those D-lineman though and would not be disappointed if we went that way as well. 

Edited by Golfman

40 minutes ago, Lieker said:

Not sure what the issue was, but hip scopes to "clean" out the joint are not a great thing down the line.  Especially if you are 300+#.

I like the player and tape/potential.   Just the injury spooksme for pick 30

20 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Not sure what the issue was, but hip scopes to "clean" out the joint are not a great thing down the line.  Especially if you are 300+#.

I like the player and tape/potential.   Just the injury spooksme for pick 30

I don't like hip injuries for picks in rnd #1

58 minutes ago, Pilprin said:

I don't like hip injuries for picks in rnd #1

We once traded a 1st round pick for a guy who doctors didn't think would play more than 5 years because of a degenerative hip! That was Brett Favre. Medical advancements have come a long way in those 29 years. 

Generally though, I agree with this sentiment. 

3 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'd want to trade back here given this board.  The safeties might be good value here .. McKinney or Delpit.  How do these guys compare to a guy like Minkah Fitzpatrick?  

Not many do! I don't see us getting a safety at 30 that will play like Fitzpatrick. He's currently in the perfect defense for his skill set and it shows. 

9 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Not many do! I don't see us getting a safety at 30 that will play like Fitzpatrick. He's currently in the perfect defense for his skill set and it shows. 

Well, if neither of those safeties are terrific coverage options, or ultimate chess piece types, I'd probably go with Ross Blacklack.  We lack top talent on that Dline.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Golfman said:

We once traded a 1st round pick for a guy who doctors didn't think would play more than 5 years because of a degenerative hip! That was Brett Favre. Medical advancements have come a long way in those 29 years. 

Generally though, I agree with this sentiment. 

QB vs OT.  220 vs 300+

Those extra pounds matter