RUMOR: Bears sign Kelechi Osemeli

beardown3231

39 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Osemele would be good competition and give the Bears another option at RG.

At this point we need to bring a bunch of lineman to camp and play the best 5.

I’m preparing myself as though they think they have a preliminary starting 5 now with Ifedi in the fold as the presumed starting RG heading toward camp, and will be drafting the guys to legitimately compete with them. I’ll be surprised if that’s not where the next OL adds are coming. Any FA we add now is just competition anyway and not a clear cut upgrade. It makes the most sense for anyone beating out an incumbent to be a potential long term guy and not someone who’s just a placeholder. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m preparing myself as though they think they have a preliminary starting 5 now with Ifedi in the fold as the presumed starting RG heading toward camp, and will be drafting the guys to legitimately compete with them. I’ll be surprised if that’s not where the next OL adds are coming. Any FA we add now is just competition anyway and not a clear cut upgrade. It makes the most sense for anyone beating out an incumbent to be a potential long term guy and not someone who’s just a placeholder. 

I think the way Pace operates is he always has an adequate preliminary starting group in place before the draft.  That is how he attacks free agency.  He tries to plug obvious holes with some type of veteran.  Whether that is actually adequate or not is another story.  Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn’t.   But in his mind at this time of year it is. 

This way if draft doesn’t go as planned it isn’t a disaster that makes you leave your board to fill a need.  It also allows him to gamble more in draft on upside prospects.

Its not a bad strategy in theory even though sometimes the free agents don’t work and sometimes the draft picks don’t work.   

Look at Houston.  They were targeting an OT in draft.   Philly snaked them at OT and they had to reach on their next best prospect because the hole they had was so huge.  Then when he wasn’t that good they had to trade too much for Tunsil.

8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

They still need to sign guys. They have close to 30 open roster spots. Unless they are bringing in the largest UDFA class in history, more signings are coming.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I think the way Pace operates is he always has an adequate preliminary starting group in place before the draft.  That is how he attacks free agency.  He tries to plug obvious holes with some type of veteran.  Whether that is actually adequate or not is another story.  Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn’t.   But in his mind at this time of year it is. 

This way if draft doesn’t go as planned it isn’t a disaster that makes you leave your board to fill a need.  It also allows him to gamble more in draft on upside prospects.

Its not a bad strategy in theory even though sometimes the free agents don’t work and sometimes the draft picks don’t work.   

Look at Houston.  They were targeting an OT in draft.   Philly snaked them at OT and they had to reach on their next best prospect because the hole they had was so huge.  Then when he wasn’t that good they had to trade too much for Tunsil.

Or the Bears TE position.

Or the Bears WR position pre Robinsons

OLB pre Mack trade 

QB the entire Pace tenure

4 minutes ago, soulman said:

Signing Osemele might make some sense but I have to wonder if $$$ isn't the issue.  He got about $5 mil from the NYJ in 2019 and we don't have $5 mil to give at the moment.

Coming off injury, being cut half way through the season, 3 weeks into free agency, I doubt he is looking for 5 million.

36 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Coming off injury, being cut half way through the season, 3 weeks into free agency, I doubt he is looking for 5 million.

Despite that we really don't know what he's looking for.  Probably not but then we'd have a hard time covering vet minimum right now.

In the words of Commander Cody we are down to the stems and seeds again.  :D

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

They still need to sign guys. They have close to 30 open roster spots. Unless they are bringing in the largest UDFA class in history, more signings are coming.

Once Ifedi is added they’ll show 10 OL on the roster on the team website. Assume 2 draft picks on the OL somewhere and now you’re at 12. At least 7 of those (Leno, Daniels, Whitehair, Ifedi, Massie and the 2 draft picks) are virtually assured roster spots plus Coward having a great shot (dirt cheap with multi position experience including some starting experience). We can only roster 9 or 10 guys come September - how many more bodies can you realistically expect? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Once Ifedi is added they’ll show 10 OL on the roster on the team website. Assume 2 draft picks on the OL somewhere and now you’re at 12. At least 7 of those (Leno, Daniels, Whitehair, Ifedi, Massie and the 2 draft picks) are virtually assured roster spots plus Coward having a great shot (dirt cheap with multi position experience including some starting experience). We can only roster 9 or 10 guys come September - how many more bodies can you realistically expect? 

I expect them to bring in at least 1 more veteran offensive lineman. Maybe 2.

They will roll with 14-15 into camp so they have bodies to run the reps they need. Generally you have 3 full group.

9 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I expect them to bring in at least 1 more veteran offensive lineman. Maybe 2.

They will roll with 14-15 into camp so they have bodies to run the reps they need. Generally you have 3 full group.

Veteran? Maybe. Veteran of consequence? I doubt it. I’m guessing all additions not coming from the draft at this point are going to be camp bodies UNLESS we are wrong about the Ifedi add and he’s our swing/push OT.  

37 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Veteran? Maybe. Veteran of consequence? I doubt it. I’m guessing all additions not coming from the draft at this point are going to be camp bodies UNLESS we are wrong about the Ifedi add and he’s our swing/push OT.  

They would be competition. We are well past players of consequence.

Sign Osemele to see if he is healthy and can still play.

Sign Jared Veldheers

Draft a couple guys m

Bring them all to camp and see what shakes out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Sign Jared Veldheers

Draft a couple guys m

I mean, I guess it makes sense for the Bears to bring in guys like that on minimal deals (even though both guys basically didn’t play at all in 2019 and may not be any good anymore), but does it make sense for Veldheer or Osemele? Both guys have made more than $40M in the NFL - is it worth it to them to go through another season for something pretty close to or at the league minimum in what is at least reasonably likely to be a reserve role (especially for Veldheer)? 

IMO, we have enough year-to-year guys on the roster already. We need guys to push going forward but as longer term options. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Sign Jared Veldheers

Draft a couple guys m

I guess posting about our current cap situation didn't make much of an impact did it?

From the looks of it until we clear some cap space we couldn't sign a capable veteran beer vendor.