Do the Redskins do the unthinkable?

BZski

There are more and more experts projecting that the Redskins will actually take Tua at #2. At first i thought it was a pipe dream as a Lions fan but I am starting to think this may actually happen. New coach, Haskins looking very average at best even for a rookie QB. Seems like there is more of a possibility to this happening.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001107680/article/fourround-2020-nfl-mock-draft-six-trades-shake-up-round-1

21 minutes ago, BZski said:

There are more and more experts projecting that the Redskins will actually take Tua at #2. At first i thought it was a pipe dream as a Lions fan but I am starting to think this may actually happen. New coach, Haskins looking very average at best even for a rookie QB. Seems like there is more of a possibility to this happening.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001107680/article/fourround-2020-nfl-mock-draft-six-trades-shake-up-round-1

If the Redskins hadn't traded for young QB Kyle Allen (Carolina), then I would be extremely nervous that you would be correct.

I'm not even a little concerned that this will happen now.

Trading for Allen was a cheap insurance policy, in case Haskins doesn't work out.

He knows the coaches already, he knows the Offense & he's young & healthy.

If anything, trading for Allen all but guaranteed Chase Young is gonna be a Redskin.

The only way Young is NOT drafted by Washington?

Is if Miami or some other team trades the farm for the #2 pick.

Which is possible...I doubt it happens, but it's possible.

Edited by aceinthehouse
  • Like 2

Twould be unusual, indeed, but not without precedent. Famously, the Cardinals drafted Kyler Murray at #1 a year after spending their first- #10, I think?- on Josh Rosen (passing master and posessing a delightful, quirky, non-team personality). They did what they thought best for the team, even if in so doing they seemed to disavow the previously-drafted QB.

I have seen some passionate opinions on these pages from Redskin fans defending Dwayne Haskins, as best as I recall, because he's very young; he was very inexperienced; he needs time; he allegedly showed improvement as the season wore on; he's a pleasant person- and (of course) he was Washington's first-round pick this past year, and there's the usual Hope-Springs-Eternal faith in the first-round picks of one's team, especially it it was a high one, especially if it was a QB.

I shall await the pro-Haskins arguments from 'Skins fans and, truth be known, not having an opinion one way or the other meself on Dwayne Haskins future glories, will not be disappointed if @aceinthehouse demolishes me with his response- in fact, I would enjoy it, as I do his bold predictions.

Redskins QB Dwayne Haskins sends out some cryptic tweets

• March 1, 2020
Dwayne Haskins, Redskins

Edit: Whoops! I see Ace beat me to the punch. I might have known- you don't mess with the Ace!

Edited by bzane
  • Like 3

Btw....I like Haskins.

Not crazy about him, but I like him 

He reminds me of a more physically gifted, yet inexperienced version of SB 22 MVP QB Doug Williams.

If you ever watch the 2 throw the ball, their arm strength, their pocket presence & their ad-libbing when the play breaks down? They're very similar.

They also are almost identical in height & weight. 

Imo, it's the best comparison to Dwayne Haskins.

Ever since Rivera was announced as the hire for head coach I have expected the Redskins to not pass on Tua. I just don't think Rivera will give up the opportunity to draft who he and others feel is a true franchise QB prospect. I am not so high on Tua myself, but I think Rivera is. I like Haskins a lot as a prospect and I am sort of anticipating the Chargers to trade their second round pick for him.

22 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Trading for Allen was a cheap insurance policy, in case Haskins doesn't work out.

It could just as easily mean that Allen is the starter while Tua learns, and continues to recover. And Haskins is traded. 

Chase Young is a generational pass rusher.

Ron Rivera & Jack Del Rio are defensive minded players & coaches. Both were LB's as players.

They also drafted DE Julius Peppers as a rookie I believe. 

They know the importance of that position.

Both coaches have to be salivating at having Sweat, Payne, Allen, Ion, Kerrigan & adding Chase Young to that front.

Is there a need to draft Chase Young? No

We actually need CB Jeffrey Okudah. In fact, im more worried we draft CB Okudah over Chase Young than I'm us taking Tua.

Edited by aceinthehouse

20 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

It could just as easily mean that Allen is the starter while Tua learns, and continues to recover. And Haskins is traded. 

This is my thought as well. The more I think about it, the more I think Tua is taken by the redskins. It is so hard to find a franchise QB and I just dont see RR passing on one as highly thought of as Tua is around the scouting community. Young is a phenomenal talent but he is not a QB and I dont believe the Skins value Haskins as much as the fans do. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aceinthehouse said:

Chase Young is a generational pass rusher.

So was Clowney.

1 hour ago, aceinthehouse said:

Is there a need to draft Chase Young? No

Then why do it? I wouldn't draft Tua if I was the Redskins. But there is mounting evidence that may be what's going to happen.