Do the Redskins do the unthinkable?

BZski

What's the unthinkable? Start winning?

But seriously. I don't put much stock in draft prospects, whether it's Tua or Young or Burrow. A lot of it comes down to the team environment and the quality of instruction and training players receive. Poor coaching can destroy a first-round prospect, just as surely as great coaching can turn a late-rounder into a star. I hope Ron Rivera is the right man for the job.

In other words, unless they make a serious commitment to improving the culture it won't matter very much who they draft.

Edited by y*so*blu
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Drained said:

Even a generational DE with great leadership abilities can inspire a team to play well and tip the tides of a game countless times

-from someone with a team that has one and made the playoffs with brian hoyer and ryan mallett

As good as JJ Watt is you take the QB over a great DE. Watt hasn't been able to take you over the top but great QBs do it year in and year out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BZski said:

As good as JJ Watt is you take the QB over a great DE. Watt hasn't been able to take you over the top but great QBs do it year in and year out.

Watson is a great QB and they still haven’t gone far in the playoffs. It takes a full team. 

But Von Miller in 2015-16 proves a great EDGE player can be the main driver in carrying your team to a SB win. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Watson is a great QB and they still haven’t gone far in the playoffs. It takes a full team. 

But Von Miller in 2015-16 proves a great EDGE player can be the main driver in carrying your team to a SB win. 

1 year out of the last 2 decades? QB trumps a once in a generation DE every day of the week. Washington has little a QB and a solid DL already. I think they take Tua or at least I hope. 

2 hours ago, BZski said:

1 year out of the last 2 decades? QB trumps a once in a generation DE every day of the week. Washington has little a QB and a solid DL already. I think they take Tua or at least I hope. 

Washington doesn't know what they have at QB yet, and we have a solid DL that could be great.  

Regardless, we're taking Chase Young - guaranteed.  I will be happy to sig bet anyone who thinks otherwise.

13 hours ago, BZski said:

There are more and more experts projecting that the Redskins will actually take Tua at #2. At first i thought it was a pipe dream as a Lions fan but I am starting to think this may actually happen. New coach, Haskins looking very average at best even for a rookie QB. Seems like there is more of a possibility to this happening.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001107680/article/fourround-2020-nfl-mock-draft-six-trades-shake-up-round-1

No. do not let the Lions get Chase

It seems stupid.  But then...the whole thing the Cardinals did last year felt kinda farfetched too...until it got closer to the draft and started to feel like an eventuality.

Would be a pretty funny fall-on domino thing to have it happen two years in a row.  Team drafts highly regarded "faller" QB, has terrible rookie debut...team cleans house and drafts a new guy, ships old guy out.

It'd certainly be interesting if the Redskins think they can get something for Haskins still.  Send him to the Pats or something and see what happens.  But the signing of Kyle Allen really feels like a team setting themselves up to run him as a cheap stopgap for the season, while Tua gets healthy and ready.  Doesn't feel that necessary to bring in a guy like that unless you're not committed to letting Haskins sink or swim.  And the new regime in Washington...Tua makes worlds of sense.  That's the sort of QB it seems like they'd want.

8 hours ago, BZski said:

Tua has alot of uncertainities, he isn't Andrew Luck coming out of college who will all knew would be elite. You take the generational DE you know will be a hit over the possible bust.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tugboat said:

It seems stupid.  But then...the whole thing the Cardinals did last year felt kinda farfetched too...until it got closer to the draft and started to feel like an eventuality.

Would be a pretty funny fall-on domino thing to have it happen two years in a row.  Team drafts highly regarded "faller" QB, has terrible rookie debut...team cleans house and drafts a new guy, ships old guy out.

It'd certainly be interesting if the Redskins think they can get something for Haskins still.  Send him to the Pats or something and see what happens.  But the signing of Kyle Allen really feels like a team setting themselves up to run him as a cheap stopgap for the season, while Tua gets healthy and ready.  Doesn't feel that necessary to bring in a guy like that unless you're not committed to letting Haskins sink or swim.  And the new regime in Washington...Tua makes worlds of sense.  That's the sort of QB it seems like they'd want.

That is kind of where I am at. When you think about the Redskins probably should take Tua. Haskins will never be a superstar QB, at best he is an Alex Smith level starter. I think they take Tua and trade Haskins.

48 minutes ago, BZski said:

Haskins will never be a superstar QB, at best he is an Alex Smith level starter.

There isn't anywhere near enough evidence to make such a claim. Outside of selfie-gate, I liked Haskins last year. He was in an impossible situation and did what he could under the circumstances. Like any young QB, he needs to be given a lot more time before we know how good he can be. 

16 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Because a lot of people think Tua is a bonafide franchise QB, and doubt Haskins is. The accumulation of recent media reports (which could be accurate OR ridiculous) suggest Rivera is one of those people. 

I've made my opinion known--they should forget about Young (who they may not even need) and instead get as much as they can from the Dolphins for the second pick. If I were the Redskins GM, I might even trade down AGAIN from the fifth pick. (Herbert, whoever.) Any number of positive scenarios can be spun from all that. I wouldn't be gambling on Young when there are possibilities to get into instant contention. 

Sure, just ignore parts of my post that would explain why the Redskins would let Haskins go for a year.   And that's definitely giving Haskins a chance, and if he's not the guy, his poor play has put the Redskins into a position to draft Trevor Lawrence.  The Redskins, judging by the quiet off-season, are taking 2020 as a year to install culture and evaluate who is and who isn't going to be on the roster for future seasons.  Sure, this happened with the Cardinals and Josh Rosen last year, but there's a couple differences.  Namely, Rosen didn't show any kind of improvement during the season while Haskins did, and Kingsbury came in with his own offensive system and Murray was the better choice to fit that system.  

Here's the thing, you aren't the Redskins GM.  We actually don't have a GM.  Ron Rivera is in control of the front office.  You think as a defensive coach, he wants to turn down adding a generational talent like Chase Young?  He and Jack Del Rio, who was his first hire as DC, are going to take Young.  They are defensive guys, and will want to rebuild the defense in their image.  This is their guy.   Del Rio's done great things with Von Miller.  Young is the best fit for the system currently in place.  

Also, with the whole uncertainty surrounding the standard NFL off-season and Covid-19, drafting a rookie QB is even more of a risky proposition, especially one who is rehabbing from a serious injury.  

4 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Sure, just ignore parts of my post that would explain why the Redskins would let Haskins go for a year.   And that's definitely giving Haskins a chance, and if he's not the guy, his poor play has put the Redskins into a position to draft Trevor Lawrence.  

I'm not going off of the logic (or lack thereof) of either position, or direction, for the Redskins. Instead, merely pointing out that often times when we keep hearing rumblings about certain things from the football media, these things end up being true. There were TONS of Patriots fans around here who swore up and down that Brady would NEVER leave the team. Guess what happened, though?

The reports we're seeing could certainly be wrong, or they could be misdirection by the Redskins to drum up interest in the pick. We'll find out what happens soon enough. 

4 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Here's the thing, you aren't the Redskins GM.  

I'm not?

Well...****.

No wonder they won't let me into the complex. Best turn around and head back home, I guess.

5 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

We actually don't have a GM.  

That's true, at least for now.

13 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Young is the best fit for the system currently in place.  

What are they going to run? Not being snarky, I simply haven't read up on it. But, I think you could probably make Young work in just about any system.