Do the Redskins do the unthinkable?

BZski

Just now, Heinz D. said:

I'm not going off of the logic (or lack thereof) of either position, or direction, for the Redskins. Instead, merely pointing out that often times when we keep hearing rumblings about certain things from the football media, these things end up being true. There were TONS of Patriots fans around here who swore up and down that Brady would NEVER leave the team. Guess what happened, though?

The reports we're seeing could certainly be wrong, or they could be misdirection by the Redskins to drum up interest in the pick. We'll find out what happens soon enough. 

I'm not?

Well...****.

No wonder they won't let me into the complex. Best turn around and head back home, I guess.

That's true, at least for now.

What are they going to run? Not being snarky, I simply haven't read up on it. But, I think you could probably make Young work in just about any system.

Snyder went with the coach centered approach, and Rivera has the power.  Of course, I agree with you that it could change, and Snyder is famous for it, but I've become a pretty good judge of what the Redskins say/mean over the years, so right now, Rivera is the guy.  

I also agree with you on the Tom Brady situation.  Things could happen.  But right now, with what has been said about the talent level coming in, and how Snyder is still behind Haskins, I just don't see Tu'a being the guy right now either.  Like I said, I think Haskins is playing for his spot next year, and his play will determine whether or not the team is in a position to draft an upgrade.  That's really putting him in a bad spot as it relates to learning a new offense with a likely truncated off-season, but hopefully Kyle Allen's familiarity with it will help the transition.  

They are running Del Rio's defense.  He's had Julius Peppers, Von Miller and Khalil Mack all at different points of his career.  Rivers built his Panthers team from the trenches first.  So unless they get a Godfather type offer, I don't think they are moving off of this pick or Chase Young. 

2 hours ago, BZski said:

That is kind of where I am at. When you think about the Redskins probably should take Tua. Haskins will never be a superstar QB, at best he is an Alex Smith level starter. I think they take Tua and trade Haskins.

Huh?  Haskins is the complete opposite of Alex Smith in nearly every way. 

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Like I said, I think Haskins is playing for his spot next year, and his play will determine whether or not the team is in a position to draft an upgrade.  That's really putting him in a bad spot as it relates to learning a new offense with a likely truncated off-season, but hopefully Kyle Allen's familiarity with it will help the transition.  

I think that's most likely all true--and if so, they're probably going about it the right way. I might add that I'm not really sure that we know what they have in Allen, either. I think they're in a pretty good place as far as QB goes. We'll see if Rivera feels the same. 

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Sure, just ignore parts of my post that would explain why the Redskins would let Haskins go for a year.   And that's definitely giving Haskins a chance, and if he's not the guy, his poor play has put the Redskins into a position to draft Trevor Lawrence.  The Redskins, judging by the quiet off-season, are taking 2020 as a year to install culture and evaluate who is and who isn't going to be on the roster for future seasons.  Sure, this happened with the Cardinals and Josh Rosen last year, but there's a couple differences.  Namely, Rosen didn't show any kind of improvement during the season while Haskins did, and Kingsbury came in with his own offensive system and Murray was the better choice to fit that system.  

Here's the thing, you aren't the Redskins GM.  We actually don't have a GM.  Ron Rivera is in control of the front office.  You think as a defensive coach, he wants to turn down adding a generational talent like Chase Young?  He and Jack Del Rio, who was his first hire as DC, are going to take Young.  They are defensive guys, and will want to rebuild the defense in their image.  This is their guy.   Del Rio's done great things with Von Miller.  Young is the best fit for the system currently in place.  

Also, with the whole uncertainty surrounding the standard NFL off-season and Covid-19, drafting a rookie QB is even more of a risky proposition, especially one who is rehabbing from a serious injury.  

It doesnt matter if RR and Del Rio are defensive coaches. EVERY coach knows they need a QB to win and Tua is considered this "Generational" talent at QB. If Redskins do in fact feel both Tuan and Chase Young are generational talents....QB wins. I am pretty confident nobody feels Haskins is the same caliber QB as Tua.

42 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

If that’s the case, he should just say he thinks he’ll be a top 15-20 player throughout his career. 

Exactly....average QB at best. Tua has more upside. Some say like Mahomes level upside (I personally dont see that level).

Just now, BZski said:

Exactly....average QB at best. Tua has more upside. Some say like Mahomes level upside (I personally dont see that level).

Haskins was about as boom/bust as it gets as a prospect. His upside is substantial. So is his downside. 

Tua is an injury-prone, short, slight-of-frame, left-handed QB that is coming off an extremely serious injury.  He’s a great prospect when healthy, but that injury risk needs to be baked into his evaluation.  Rivera is not dumb enough to write Haskins off after a solid rookie season and risk everything on Tua. Especially when he has a presidential pass rusher (~ once every 4 years) staring him in the face. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Haskins was about as boom/bust as it gets as a prospect. His upside is substantial. So is his downside. 

Tua is an injury-prone, short, slight-of-frame, left-handed QB that is coming off an extremely serious injury.  He’s a great prospect when healthy, but that injury risk needs to be baked into his evaluation.  Rivera is not dumb enough to write Haskins off after a solid rookie season and risk everything on Tua. Especially when he has a presidential pass rusher (~ once every 4 years) staring him in the face. 

We will see. I think it is much more of a chance of happening then you are saying.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

If that's the route they decide to go, I'm positive they can get quite a bit for Haskins. 

How much do you honestly figure they'd get for Haskins?  Is he regarded highly enough to get the Rosen package of a 2nd and a 5th?  I feel like Rosen was more widely appreciated coming out, just victimized by a strong top-end of that QB class.  Whereas Haskins "fell" a ways in the draft, in a really weak QB year at the top.  This is also a year where there were all sorts of veteran options out there, and some decent QB depth toward the top-end of the draft as well.

7 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

How much do you honestly figure they'd get for Haskins?  Is he regarded highly enough to get the Rosen package of a 2nd and a 5th?  I feel like Rosen was more widely appreciated coming out, just victimized by a strong top-end of that QB class.  Whereas Haskins "fell" a ways in the draft, in a really weak QB year at the top.  This is also a year where there were all sorts of veteran options out there, and some decent QB depth toward the top-end of the draft as well.

Probably?  Haskins is pretty similar to Rosen in that there were a lot of differing opinions among football folks about him. You'd just have to find somebody that liked him in the first place. You're right about the draft, though. That could well throw things off, were the Redskins to try and trade him. It would all boil down to specific situations and such. 

• Like 1