Packerraymond Mock Finishing the Off-season V3

Packerraymond

• We know Crosby, Ervin and Big Dog are back. That’s it. No other signings made from our remaining UFA’s

Remaining Free Agents (We cut Lane Taylor to gain that 4m in cap space)

Damon Harrison DT Detroit Lions (1/4m): Snacks is signed to eat space and help us stop the run. He’s been a monster here his entire career and is probably the most valuable FA left we could bring in. Base downs/run heavy personnel situations a DL of Clark-Harrison-Lancaster could be dominant. Harrison was cut by Detroit so no effect to the comp formula, our picks for Fackrell/Goodson stay intact.

Timmy Jernigan DT Philadelphia Eagles (1/4m): Timmy has spent the last two years oft-injured and has gone from one of the young up and comers at DL to an afterthought who will try and get a good year in on a “prove it” deal. He was non-tendered a club option, so he too does not factor into the comp formula. Which could leave the packers with 4 picks depending on the Funchess deal and if Tramon gets a decent deal elsewhere. Jernigan is only 27, a nice year in GB could buy him a long-term deal and have him became a fixture next to Kenny.

The Draft:

Round 1: TRADE: Gute is hoping to land Austin Jackson or Josh Jones, both go in the 20-29 range and thus Gute starts weighing his options. Nice part about picking late is you can always move down. Teams want that 5th year option. We move to the mid 2nd and get a mid 3rd in the process.

Round 2: Jeff Gladney 5’10 190 CB

School: TCU

Can already hear fans complaining about another year with a top pick spent on a DB. Would make now 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020. Well tough …. The NFL is a passing league and having a good secondary is imperative. CB has become a low key need for us due to the lack of progression from Josh Jackson. Tramon moves to greener pastures and we bring in Gladney. Almost identical in size to Alexander, Gladney is another “punk” of a small corner who doesn’t take any crap despite his size. Man skills are a plus and he’s physical at the LOS. There’s plenty of good tape of him taking on Allen Lazard, Hakeem Butler and Collin Johnson, all 6’5+ receivers, stays in their hip pocket and doesn’t let them play over the top with him. He’ll slid right into the slot as a rookie and if he can play as well as past rookie DB’s have for us, will give us a real solid secondary.

Round 2: Chase Claypool 6’4 238 WR

School: Notre Dame

Call him raw, call him “too big” whatever you wish, Claypool is a perfect mesh of both Gute’s desire for elite physical tools mixed with LaFleur’s desire for WR’s who do all the extra stuff you don’t see on SportsCenter. Obviously at his size, he’s a bully out there, you can’t jam him, you can’t get him off his line in the route, he can play outside or slot. He’s going to be a guy I feel very strongly we’ll have graded highly. Excellent blocker. The cons to his game are obviously the lack of wiggle, just always going to be the case for 6’3+ 220+ pound receivers, they have to find other ways to separate. He’s not a super refined route runner either, he’ll need some coaching there. The WR room continues to look like a group of small forwards, and now that we’re starting to get enough data on Gute and LaFluer, maybe that’s exactly how they want it.

Round 3: Saahdiq Charles 6’4 320 OT

School: LSU

I get Bahk vibes watching Charles. Obviously Buffs version of Bahk and not his current form. He’s a young, raw prospect with plus feet and pass pro skills. Does not get beat around the edge. He’s nimble and stays in front of his man, not an oversetter, just looks smooth and natural. You can bully him right now which was the case with Bahk coming out. The anchor needs tech work and some NFL weight room time. Hopefully Wagner will stay healthy and he’ll get it. Charles lets us get out of the Wagner deal after 1 year and add some cap space for the busy offseason in 2021.

Round 3: Jonah Jackson  6’3 306 OG

School: Ohio State

Gute missed the top tackles in the draft so he uses the move down to double up on OL at the end of day 2. Jackson has played RG, OC, LG and is a perfect fit for the kind of OL we’ll look for. Pass pro well beyond his run drive skills at the moment. He’s elite there, maybe the best interior pass pro guy in the draft IMO. He’s seen it all as far at stunts and blitzes, heady guy who is always in the right spot. Weakness comes in the run game, far superior of a move/zone guy than he is a M2M power blocker, which means he’ll almost certainly go to a team like us that is zone heavy. Jackson lets us let Linsley go in 2021, the loss of Wagner and Linsley should add enough to the books to give Bahk one more contract. We could even let Turner go and save another 5m and start Lucas Patrick at OC and play Jenkins and Jackson at the guard. Either way, we should have the flexibility now to ensure Aaron gets to keep his stud LT for the rest of his career.

Round 4: McTelvin Agim 6’3 309 DL

School: Arkansas

The final offseason additions of two vet DL makes the need to take a DL early diminish, however seeing as they are one year deals, still important to add a young guy here. Agim is a nice ball of clay to get on day 3, former 5* Mr Football who stayed home and fell under the radar at Arkansas, he switched late in his college career from an edge guy to an IDL. Intriguing blend of size, speed and power. He’s been productive at the SEC level, he dominant the East-West Shrine game, certainly was in the upper half of the DL at the Senior Bowl and then ran sub 5.0 at the Combine at 309. He’s certainly put himself on the map as a late 2/early day 3 guy.

Round 5: Jacob Phillips 6’3 230 ILB

School: LSU

Queen gets all the hype, but Phillips was the guy they trusted to make all the calls on that LSU defense. He’s above average at just about everything, but great at nothing. Posted a mid 4.6 40 and a 39” vert so he’s definitely athletic enough to get it done at the pro level. Another day 3 pick added to the group behind Kirksey, if the last few training camps have shown us anything, a vet LB will come available to backup Kirksey if need be. As for the immediate future, let the young bucks Burks, Phillips, Summers and Bolton run behind Kirksey in camp and see if one stands out.

Round 6: James Robinson 5’9 219 RB

School: Illinois State

Probably smart to add another back to battle Dex with the impending FA of Williams and Jones. Robinson has some miles, but he’s the kind of late round back that usually catches on. Vision, balance and burst is his game. Like Jones, his top speed isn’t overly impressive (4.64) but he jumped over 40 as a 220 pounder, that tells you he can get from a jump cut to top speed relatively quick. Guys who can see it, and can get to top speed quickly, usually have a chance.

Round 6: Jared Pinkney 6’4 257 TE

School: Vanderbilt

Before I get messages on this…yes I’m aware Pinkney is slow. He’s also one of the better inline blocking TE’s in the draft, he’s savvy and he was productive against some of the best defenses in college football. I want this guy in a room with Big Dog for a season. I think he’s a great future #2 TE. Does the dirty work, can be the unheralded guy you wouldn’t expect to catch a big pass. We need a guy for Lewis to pass the torch to, I like Pinkney.

Round 6: Charlie Taumoepeau 6’2 240 FB/H-Back/TE

School: Portland State

Get a lot of Juszczyk vibes from this guy. Think LaFleur could utilize him all over. Biggest question for him will be, can he block as well as Juszczyk does to be a true hybrid player? Or does he peak out as a backup move-TE. I’d like to get him into camp to find out.

Round 7: Jauan Jennings 6’3 206 WR

School: Tennessee

Jennings is similar to Pinkney. First round vibes mid-season, didn’t really stand out at the all-star events, and then showed he stinks as an athlete at the Combine. From day 1 to late day 3 grades. Jennings can play though. I get a lot of Allison vibes from him, know there is a recent bad taste from saying those words, but Allison showed a lot of good things for the amount of capital we used to acquire him.

Round 7: Tyler Huntley 6’1 205 QB

School: Utah

Huntley is a better version of Manny Wilkins. Mobile QB that escapes to throw rather than to run. Arm strength and accuracy is above average, his pocket presence is probably his best trait. With the extra late round picks I’m fairly confident we’ll bring the highest UDFA graded QB we have in with one of the 6-7th rounders so that we don’t have to win a bidding war for him.

Camp Depth Chart: (room for a 15 man UDFA class)

QB: Rodgers-Boyle-Wilkins-Huntley

RB: Jones-Williams-Ervin-Williams-Crockett-Robinson

FB: Taumoepeau-Wellman

WR: Adams-Lazard-Funchess-Claypool-MVS-EQ-Kumerow-Begelton-Shepherd-Taylor

TE: Sternburger-Lewis-Tonyan-Pinkney-Looney-Baylis

OT: Bahktiari-Wagner-Charles-Light-Nijman-Leglue-Conway

IOL: Linsley-Jenkins-Turner-Jackson-Madison-Patrick

IDL: Clark-Harrison-Jernigan-Lowry-Lancaster-Adams-Keke-Agim

EDGE- Smith-Smith-Gary-Roberts-Williams-Ramsey

ILB: Kirksey-Burks-Summers-Bolton-Phillips

CB: Alexander-King-Gladney-Sullivan-Jackson-Hollman-Ento-Amos

S: Amos-Savage-Redmond-Greene

ST: Crosby-Scott-Bradley

Overall thoughts: Might want to dip into the veteran cut down market for depth at EDGE, ILB, S. Overall I think we improve at WR and DL, two biggest areas of need and hold tight most other places (which is fine, we were 13-3). Can’t see any drastic areas of weakness. Most importantly, every deal we sign in the offseason (Kirksey, Wagner, Lewis, Ervin, Redmond, Funchess, Harrison, Jernigan) is either a 1 year deal, or easy out after 1 year, so all that cap opens up again next off-season. It’s obvious that Gute’s philosophy this year is halfway between “all-in” and wanting an equal shot over the next 4 years for a ring for Aaron. This should allow us to gain cap space, and get more by maneuvering Adams and Z. Amos, Turner, Kirksey, Wagner could all be cap casualty candidates. In this scenario if we paid Clark, King and Bahk. We’d have all out teams money tied to QB, WR1, LT, IDL1, EDGE, CB. That right there is a winning formula if your rookies contribute.

• Like 8

Ayyy a Toumoepeau sighting! Love it. 

Not sure I see a need for a second wr late but the value is there. Love Huntley as a prospect. He’s got some buzz but still seems undervalued.  In fact every pick round 4 and late I’m really in on. 

The closer we get the more it seems like a trade down is going to happen. We’re right at that next tier and there is just so much to like about this class for where our perceived needs are. I won’t lie I don’t want them addressing OG that high, but understand why you did here.

5 minutes ago, festiveonion said:

I won’t lie I don’t want them addressing OG that high, but understand why you did here.

Sadly due to Rodgers jumping up 14m in cap hit, it's probably going to be -Linsley + -Turner =Bahk. I'm OK to make that trade. Might as well grab one to get a head start.

Bahk-Jenkins-Patrick/DP-Jackson-Charles

4 guys on rookie/minimal deals, yet still has a chance to be a plus line if those rookies hit.

Gotta echo off of @AlexGreen#20 here -- easily the best mock of the offseason so far. Nicely done @Packerraymond. Really like the Claypool and despite the assuredly unpopular pick of CB with our 1st pick -- love, love, love the Gladney pick. You addressed the OL/DL/ILB/WR/CB and even managed to find someone for Lewis to pass the torch too. Granted not all of these guys will pan out but man I'd be lying if I didn't leave April 25th thinking we just addressed everything we needed to and feeling damn good about where we sit as a team as a result of this draft.

Just now, MaximusGluteus said:

Does anyone have an idea how much RAS and/or SPARQ have been a factor in Gute's past draft picks?  I'm trying to get a feel for how much stock I should be putting into those scores when doing my own mocks.

Were you around years back, when Packer fans would comb through draft prospects Twitter profiles and see which ones were praising Jesus/God and preaching through their twitter feed to find out which pick Ted Thompson was going to make? RAS/SPARQ is similar in Gute's drafting as that except with a little more seriousness. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Sadly due to Rodgers jumping up 14m in cap hit, it's probably going to be -Linsley + -Turner =Bahk. I'm OK to make that trade. Might as well grab one to get a head start.

Bahk-Jenkins-Patrick/DP-Jackson-Charles

4 guys on rookie/minimal deals, yet still has a chance to be a plus line if those rookies hit.

Totally understand it. You’re prioritizing flexibility. Smart way to build a team and extend that window. 

doesn’t mean I’m gonna be pumping my fist come draft day lol. Nice work. Mock is great 

1 minute ago, Nick_gb said:

Were you around years back, when Packer fans would comb through draft prospects Twitter profiles and see which ones were praising Jesus/God and preaching through their twitter feed to find out which pick Ted Thompson was going to make? RAS/SPARQ is similar in Gute's drafting as that except with a little more seriousness. 

This is hilarious and so true 

• Like 1

I like the draft, and agree the Packers ought to shore up the CB position, especially with Kevin King’s impending free agency next year and the uncertain status of Josh Jackson. I do think Gute found a real keeper in Chandon Sullivan.

• I’m curious about which CBs you’d have being drafted ahead of Gadney.
  • I think both 2nd day picks strengthen the squad immediately, with Claypool being ready to play this year, and Charles in the wings for next season.
  • I like Agim and Robinson on Day 3.
  • The Packers would be a much stronger team after this FA and draft.
Edited by JQ1

15 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Im going to have to watch more Gladney I guess. Watched Texas last night and it wasnt pretty.

2019? What didn't you like. That was one of my favorite watches this year. I counted 5/12 with 2 PD and 1 OPI forced.

It was good on good. Johnson made some fantastic catches, but was 0/4 in the redzone.

Absolutely nothing "not pretty" in that game from either player.