Packerraymond Mock Finishing the Off-season V3

Packerraymond

14 minutes ago, MaximusGluteus said:

Does anyone have an idea how much RAS and/or SPARQ have been a factor in Gute's past draft picks?  I'm trying to get a feel for how much stock I should be putting into those scores when doing my own mocks.  I've been looking at his past draft picks as I've gotten time and the free one looked at so far have scored really high, aside from Sternberger.

They're irrelevant this year IMO. No pro days and the weird late night timing for the Combine. It's a "tape" year for scouts GMs

11 minutes ago, festiveonion said:

Totally understand it. You’re prioritizing flexibility. Smart way to build a team and extend that window. 

doesn’t mean I’m gonna be pumping my fist come draft day lol. Nice work. Mock is great 

Totally get it. Jenkins was my least favorite pick of last year lol.

7 minutes ago, JQ1 said:

I like the draft, and agree the Packers ought to shore up the CB position, especially with Kevin King’s impending free agency next year and the uncertain status of Josh Jackson. I do think Gute found a real keeper in Chandon Sullivan.

• I’m curious about which CBs you’d have being drafted ahead of Gadney.
  • I think both 2nd day picks strengthen the squad immediately, with Claypool being ready to play this year, and Charles in the wings for next season.
  • I like Agim and Robinson on Day 3.
  • The Packers would be a much stronger team after this FA and draft.

I have Okudah, Robinson and Fulton ahead of Gladney. Noah I. from Auburn is a push, I just like Gladney's man skills a hair better but Noah is one explosive dude.

15 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I have Okudah, Robinson and Fulton ahead of Gladney. Noah I. from Auburn is a push, I just like Gladney's man skills a hair better but Noah is one explosive dude.

Would that be “Henderson?”

Re: Gladney - I think overall he may be a bit more road-ready at this point than Noah. Both would add some toughness to the Packer defense.

Edited by JQ1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

2019? What didn't you like. That was one of my favorite watches this year. I counted 5/12 with 2 PD and 1 OPI forced.

It was good on good. Johnson made some fantastic catches, but was 0/4 in the redzone.

Absolutely nothing "not pretty" in that game from either player.

I should've probably not watched any cut ups last night. I was a bit biased, for whatever reason, I think.

He got grabby when he got pushed through press. Didn't get off some blocks. And I really hated the curl route in the second. Looks like I shut it down before half. I think he was in a pretty rough position on the OPI, think that was unnecessary but it happened.

Scrappy dude and pretty stellar in both coverages. I was wrooong on that one.

Like the FA signings though I'm a little confused as to how Jernigan would function in an odd front. I know he's been oft-injured, but the fact that Baltimore let him walk tells me that he may not fit into our system, though I like the signing as he's far better depth than Adams or Lowry if he can stay healthy.

As for the draft. I really don't see why people are enamored with this draft. I have a major love/hate feel to this one as there's a lotta great picks here, but there are a few picks that are absolutely horrible so I'll start with those.

Cons:

The Jonah Jackson pick is the worst and it may be a worse pick than Richard Rodgers at that slot. Jackson's a one-year wonder who struggled mightily against Clemson. Horrible reach there IMHO and if you're looking for a Center go with Tyler Biadsz. I know The Draft Network is high on Jackson's potential having him at 57 on their big board, but even they're saying he's a Day 3 pick if you read the write-ups. There are better, more proven prospects at that point in the draft and you're addressing a position that could be addressed in the next draft if necessary. I'll follow Zierlein's analysis on this one, which isn't too far off of TDN's.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jonah-jackson?id=32194a41-4327-3114-31f3-a570f5dec407

With that in mind, my objection is more triggered by the fact that we're clearly grooming Lucas Patrick to replace Linsley if we're even going to go that route IMHO. It wouldn't be the move I would personally make, but the evidence is there that Patrick could be the heir-apparent at Center in the event Linsley were to leave. If you're going to draft someone that high who you expect to be a Center, I know you'd understand that he'd have to be a Travis Frederick/Nick Mangold type of guy out of the gate. Jackson needs way too much coaching to command that kind of draft investment. I'd go Jordan Elliott there.

Agim is pretty bad as well though he's apparently great at shooting gaps so if you felt like you missed out on Ross Blacklock and you're ok with someone  who "doesn't have the anchor, punch power or experience to hold up while effectively learning on the job" in the run game, then Agim's the guy for you.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/mctelvin-agim/ckarALEGlr

How many times do we have to remind ourselves that all four of our losses came at the hands of teams with a strong running game? I know Agim's supposed to be a developmental prospect behind Jernigan and Snacks in this situation and I'm respectful of TDN pegging him as a great 3-tech. It makes a lot of sense in a pass-rush situation, but TBH his scouting report SCREAMS 4-3 pass-rushing DT. Another poor man's Neville Gallimore that'd do well as a Viking, Panther, or Giant.

As for Jennings: why do you want another GMo Allison? I thought we were of the consensus that Allison needed to go; why replace him with what we feel is a similar player? Plus, Jennings is nothing like GMo in that he's another slower, yet physical receiver who can't separate who, unlike GMo, can't get open and be constantly work TO GET open. He's borderline undraftable and we could do better even that late in the draft. Grab John Hightower and toughen him up; Hightower checks all the physical boxes we look for in evaluating WR's.

Now for the good.

Pros:

I'd be surprised if Gladney would be there wherever we would trade down, but if you had a better 3rd rounder than Jackson, that trade would be an absolute steal. I love that trade down a lot and Gladney's a guy that could come in and push Kevin King a bit and make us forget about Tramon. Gladney could spend his rookie year playing in the nickel and eventually move outside once his strength and conditioning caught up. Jerry Gray would do wonders with the kid and I honestly wouldn't mind him at 30 if we didn't trade back.

Claypool at 62 would also be incredible value IMHO as he might get overdrafted based on his combine performance. Still, he's big, fast, and physical and Gute just HAS to be acting out that Ryan Stiles GIF you posted yesterday lol. I'm shocked that we aren't tied to him given that he hits all the marks we look for physically and he can line up anywhere; which is what MLF wants out of his WR's.

Big fan of the Charles pick even though it might be a bit early. I think he's the type of guy that can come in, develop behind Rick Wagner, and replace him at a much higher level. I know people are thinking LT with him, but he's probably one of these guys that's better at RT as a pro and can be a staple at that position for the better half of a decade if his health holds up.

I like the Phillips pick a lot. He needs development, but we need better guys on ST's and Phillips could fill that roll as he develops into a solid ILB. The same with Huntley and Taumoepeau. I really don't understand why Huntley isn't getting a bit more love by the pundits. You could do far worse with a 7th round pick at that point in the draft. 

Other than that, I'd go with Darrynton Evans over Agim in the 4th and get rid of the no-name from Ill St.; plug Josiah Coatney there. Pinckney's a UDFA but I wouldn't mind spending a draft pick on him as Lewis' replacement given that they're basically the same player. I'm willing to bet that he'd be great on ST's; mainly on FG and Punt duties.

Edited by Joe
  • Like 1

Definitely the most realistic Packers mock of the year so far. I'm not as up to date on prospects as I'd like to be (despite doing my own mocks) due to how much time I've put into the 2020 NHL draft (yes, hockey >>>>>) but this one just screams Packers. Nothing fancy about it and no big name prospects dropping to the 3rd or 4th to fit needs. Well done, Ray.

6 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Definitely the most realistic Packers mock of the year so far. I'm not as up to date on prospects as I'd like to be (despite doing my own mocks) due to how much time I've put into the 2020 NHL draft (yes, hockey >>>>>) but this one just screams Packers. Nothing fancy about it and no big name prospects dropping to the 3rd or 4th to fit needs. Well done, Ray.

Gladney and Claypool aren't big name prospects? Totally agree with the sentiment, however.

5 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

Not a fan of this one.

I think Gladney is small.  He may be listed at 5'10",  but looks smaller than that.   I think there are better options at WR than Claypool as well.

It's not about listed. We've been through the combine. He objectively measured at 70 and 2/8 inches tall. 

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

It's not about listed. We've been through the combine. He objectively measured at 70 and 2/8 inches tall. 

And he has a small build.   I guess I needed to choose my words more carefully.   Everyone just ready to argue.  We had 3 pages of arguments about a small contract, and another on what defines a traditional vs running QB.

Gladney is not a player I would want this year in the first round.  Claypool isn't either for different reasons.    And no - I don't need a listing of his combine performance.

44 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

And he has a small build.   I guess I needed to choose my words more carefully.   Everyone just ready to argue.  We had 3 pages of arguments about a small contract, and another on what defines a traditional vs running QB.

Gladney is not a player I would want this year in the first round.  Claypool isn't either for different reasons.    And no - I don't need a listing of his combine performance.

Are you uncomfortable with Jaire? He was 5'10 196 coming out of college.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Are you uncomfortable with Jaire? He was 5'10 196 coming out of college.

No.   But I also think Alexander plays bigger and is/was a better prospect.  Alexander is/was faster and quicker.   Our roster make up is different as well now vs when we drafted JA.    

I also like that King is on the bigger side of CB's , paired with Jaire.     If you draft Gladney my assumption is that we move on from King after his contract is up.  Not necessarily true, but more than likely.

Edited by hitnhope