UNDER-THE-RADAR REDSKINS YOU"RE WATCHING

Thaiphoon

Okay. So we've been talking about guys who we are hoping to continue great seasons from last year. What I want to know is this.

Who are the more under-the-radar guys (the ones that not everyone is talking about constantly) who you want to see improve, and why?

I'll go first.

Kelvin Harmon

Go watch NFL Game Pass (Free right now) and watch this dude. He's good on his routes. Catches some balls that I didn't think he would and is sneakily fast. At times got left out of the conversation, but the dude WAS getting open. Especially when I could watch the games in person. You couId see it easily. Is he a burner? Will he be DJax speed? Nope. But I'm hoping he's improved his speed a bit. Because if he also takes another leap with TMac on the other side, I won't be too sad if we don't take a WR (or more than one) in this draft

Jimmy F Moreland

You knew this was coming. I love this guy. I love his tenacity. His aggressiveness. He is a better outside corner than inside. Which is also one of his downsides because of his height. However, covering tall receivers is not a new thing. At times he did play like a rookie (too many penalties) , but those were mostly from being too aggressive rather than he got beat and held. The times he was put outside, he usually locked his guy down. He likes to bait QBs into throwing and then make up the gap (which led to him getting 18INTs in college). He had a similar situation at JMU. So-so freshman campaign and then improvement as a sophomore and then skyrocketed in Jr/Sr seasons. I'm hoping that continues here.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Okay. So we've been talking about guys who we are hoping to continue great seasons from last year. What I want to know is this.

Who are the more under-the-radar guys (the ones that not everyone is talking about constantly) who you want to see improve, and why?

I'll go first.

Kelvin Harmon

Go watch NFL Game Pass (Free right now) and watch this dude. He's good on his routes. Catches some balls that I didn't think he would and is sneakily fast. At times got left out of the conversation, but the dude WAS getting open. Especially when I could watch the games in person. You couId see it easily. Is he a burner? Will he be DJax speed? Nope. But I'm hoping he's improved his speed a bit. Because if he also takes another leap with TMac on the other side, I won't be too sad if we don't take a WR (or more than one) in this draft

Jimmy F Moreland

You knew this was coming. I love this guy. I love his tenacity. His aggressiveness. He is a better outside corner than inside. Which is also one of his downsides because of his height. However, covering tall receivers is not a new thing. At times he did play like a rookie (too many penalties) , but those were mostly from being too aggressive rather than he got beat and held. The times he was put outside, he usually locked his guy down. He likes to bait QBs into throwing and then make up the gap (which led to him getting 18INTs in college). He had a similar situation at JMU. So-so freshman campaign and then improvement as a sophomore and then skyrocketed in Jr/Sr seasons. I'm hoping that continues here.

Really like both of these guys!! I think Harmon is getting very little love!!! I think he can be a ball player for us he has very good strengths which are hands and he’s kinda savey in zones. I’d like to see him get some chances to run after catch I think he’s a harder guy to drag down. But that is part on him for separation or catchable balls neither of which we had clearly as a 3-13 team. 

Moreland was my small school guy knowing Thai mentioning him a lot he wasn’t hard to find at JMU so there was always that lol. I’m excited for both as well.

I almost wonder is this the year Ryan Anderson becomes a baller. Almost just that dog gritty work guy who cleans up on Chase and Sweat working guys. I could see him and Christian just being some out of nowhere right spots. I’m scared of the Christian one unless it’s just night and day difference like him doggin guys in camp or who even knows about preseason with everything but too me it have to be something like that for Christian to be a less talked about who could be good. That’s a reach!!! IMO

• Like 1

It’s kinda hard for any Redskins player to be “under the radar,” simply because the roster is and has been so bad that if you’ve got any noticeable talent, you’ve probably already emerged over the course of the past couple seasons and are already being counted on to play some sort of role this season (Martin, Holcomb, Moreland, etc). 

If I had to pick a couple, I’d go with guys who were on other rosters and thus haven’t had the open opportunity in the free-for-all that is the Redskins’ talent desert.

First would be Kevin Pierre-Louis. The folks in Chicago spoke highly of his abilities, including in coverage, and his intangibles seem to be off the charts. Which is good news, because his “tangibles” also tested quite well at the combine — meaning that he’s got all the tools you’re looking for, and now he just needs someone to give him snaps and let him develop. Enter the Redskins’ awful LB corps, and just as importantly, enter Ron Rivera and Jack Del Rio. Those are two dudes who know pretty much all there is to know about playing LB, and I expect KPL will be a sponge for their knowledge. I think there’s a fair chance he emerges as one of the starting OLBs this season and holds down the spot for a few seasons. 

Second would be Cornelius Lucas. I’ve never really seen him play, so I’m basing this almost entirely on his measurements, scouting reports and film from KState years ago, and PFF grade from last year. He’s obviously huge and athletic, and he appeared to play well last year. Watching him at KState, he was extremely weak. It’s painfully obvious from watching even a couple games of film — he never moved anyone, just impeded them, and he was always getting shocked and moved back by strong hand play by opposing pass-rushers. He was big and nimble enough to recover, but the absolute lack of functional strength was clear. He’s had years to try to get his strength up to NFL OT standards and if he’s done that, he could be a useful player for us. 

• Like 3

three under the radar guys with predictions 

Wes Martin- by the end of the season will be our second best OL

Bryce Love- will have more total offensive yards than any other back 

Rueben Foster- serious pro bowl consideration  

Edited by Doc Draper
  • Like 4

1. Logan Thomas - We all know he has the size 6’6, 250 and he has some good  athletic skills for a guy that size, but he's always been a back up he’s never put it all together.

Maybe this is the year he finally does and at least becomes a 40 rec, 450 yd, 4 or 5 TD TE.

No matter who wins the starting TE job, they and Steven Sims are going to be Haskins’ safety valve so that likely means a lot of receptions, even if that doesn't translate into a lot of big plays. 

2. Shaun Dion Hamilton - He should have been splitting time with Holcomb last year or even starting. He was definitely the better option in the nickel defense which we are in at least 60% of the time, probably more like 75% of the time. 

He really has the smarts, athletic ability and instincts to be a good starting LB in the league. Here's to predicting this is the year that the defensive coaches don't play favorites and just play the best players and SDH emerges as a good LB for us making plays in both the run game and vs the pass.

3. Fabian Moreau - Fabs has flashed the last two years, it's just he was forced to play in the slot - which wasn't his best position - and injuries slowed him a bit. When healthy and after Norman was benched last year, Fabs had 3 ints and almost 4 the second half of the year. He's the one guy we currently have on the outside who I see with the size and talent to make us forget about Dunny.

Here's to a 70 tackle, 10 pass defense (PD), 4 int & 4 forced fumble (FF) year for Moreau. 

Look up his last two seasons, he's not that far off from already haven proved he's a #2 corner in this league and most are sleeping on him.

2018: 16 games, 58 tackles, 5 PDs, 1 int & 4 FF

2019: 12 games, 44 tackles, 5 PDs & 3 ints

4. Sean Davis - Everyone already knows that I like this signing and it shouldn't be an under the radar shock if he does emerge w/ a good year but some have acted like it would be or that his signing was somehow a horrible mistake.

In 2016 he made the All-Rookie team - 70 tackles, 4 tackle for loss (TFL), 5 passes defended (PD) ,1 int, 4 QB hits, 1.5 sacks

2017: 92 tackles, 7 TFL, 3 ints, 8 PDs and a sack

2018: 80 tackles, 7 PDs and an int

In 2019 he was hurt and IR’d for the year which is why the Steelers traded a first for Mika Fitzpatrick.

So, this year I’d expect a pretty good season out of Sean Davis like he gave the Steelers in 2017 & 18:

80 tackles, 2 TFL, 8 PDs, 4 ints, 1 sack

He's not an elite player but he's better then what some think. He's only 26 and he hasn't reached his full potential yet. Hopefully, DelRio & company & Landon Collins help Sean Davis take the next step in his development. He should be a huge upgrade over Nicholson who flashed the talent but not the mental capacity to be a good FS in the league.

5. Ryan Anderson - I think Anderson can play. I think he's a glue guy and a great leader - he showed that when he was at Alabama. He's never going to be the most athletic guy on the field, he won't make a lot of flash plays but every good team needs a guy like him on their team, a lunch pale guy. 

He  is a cerebral Football player who makes smart plays, good football plays and always seems to be around the ball. I think the player we saw him be when he started and/or got a lot or playing time in the last 6 games of the year - after Ryan Kerrigan was shut down - is the player he currently is but there is still more talent there to untapped, especially if he makes the fulltime switch to SLB from 3-4 OLB bc obviously he's have to learn a new position so there's a lot of talent they'd have to get out of him as Ron & Jack develop him, but if anyone can do it, they can as E said bc these two know as much or more about linebacking in the NFL then anyone else in the league.

He could have a shocking emergence in our LB corps at SLB.

He did have 24 tackles, 4 sacks and 4 forced fumbles the final 6 games (5 FF if you include the final 7 games) when he finally got a chance to either start or play most of the snaps after Kerrigan was shut down.

I also agree with those that everyone else has posted. The Redskins have a lot of young raw talent that needs a chance to play and needs to be developed. That’s where Rivera & DelRio step in. Hopefully those two can take this team with a lot of young and raw talent and mold them into something that will shock us all.

It’s a very long shot, the better bet is where Lavar has been and most of these guys won’t improve very much over what they currently are and the team will win 5 or less games again, but there’s a chance they will shock us, and no matter how small that chance may be.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Would be massive if this guy could actually come back healthy.

Umm yeah! Getting him back added to the LB corps we have w/ the young guys and our two new signed vets - Thomas Davis & KPL - would be huge. Can’t expect him to have reached his talent level he flashed as a rookie in San Fran but it’d be nice to see that he could be on his way to that this year.

If Foster is able to play this year then, it could be a stepping stone for him reaching his full potential under Ron & Jacks teaching & Thomas Davis’s mentorship for Foster’s 2021 season.

I’m excited to see and hopeful that that happens for him and us. We need it.

Under the radar is hard to ask on this Board so I'd go possible breakout in new system

TE Hale Hentges-Combo TE that should fit the new Coaches and had 6 catches and a TD in final 2 games

DT Tim Settle-Always flashes in preseason to me shooting gaps making plays think the move to 4-3 will make him more productive then being the fill in NT in the 3-4

Hopeful one Jordan Brailford had 28 sacks in final 2 season of College hopeful he steps up after being on IR last year and takes a backup Rusher spot away from someone

Edited by ovfd55
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, taylor made said:

Morgan Moses - I understand he had a down year last year but people actually want to get rid of him? Hmm. He's a slighty above average OT and is the only guy that we can count on to stay healthy.

I agree w/ most of this but it's not true that he stays healthy. It's true he plays through injuries, but he’s been injured every year he was drafted and that as much as anything has slowed him from reaching his full potential.

His rookie year in 2014 he had a lisfranc foot injury just when they were trying to give him the opportunity to be the starter the last month of the season over Tyler Polumbus.

2015 I do think he was mostly healthy and its when he showed his potential and he had a good year.

2016 was probably his best season and it was this OL’s most healthy year in the last 5 but he still battled some ankle injuries which he played through.

Since 2017 he’s battled ankle injuries to both ankles and or a knee injury every year since 2016 and had has multiple injuries on both ankles.

That being said, he is a slightly above average player most of the time as you said, getting rid of him would almost certainly be a downgrade at least for this season. I just don't understand why anyone thinks it would be a good idea to cut him at this point. We shouldn't cut him until we know we might have an upgrade.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 2