Ravens sign former Bronco DE Derek Wolfe

Ray Reed

23 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

100% about durability. 2 of our 3 big free agent signings last year basically didn’t play at all. After adding Casey they were only going to bring back one of Shelby Harris or Wolfe, and Shelby has played 48 of a possible 48 games for us. 

I'm looking at snap %s, it looks like the Broncos like to play him 60-80% of defensive snaps per game.

The Ravens rotate quite a bit at DL, I think they will play Wolfe in the 30-50% range. Hopefully that will keep him healthier. 

4 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

After their train wreck of an offseason that would’ve been an easy decision for me as well.

Derek Wolfe isn’t as impactful as what I believe Michael Brockers would’ve been, but he’s also clearly not a long term option and thus I could easily see us procuring a Justin Madubuike or Raekwon Davis in the second round and that giving the overall potential of the unit that much more juice.

That and we have more money to work with. Clowney has yet to sign and what type of coup would it be if we could finally trade Judon for a day two pick and then sign Clowney to a lovely value deal. Clearly he hasn’t been happy with what he’s received and who better to swoop in and sign him.

Yeah I still haven't given up on this happening either.

11 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

I thought Brockers was a clear upgrade from Wormley. 

Wormley + comp pick         vs.          Derek Wolfe 

seems like a wash. Yes Wolfe is more productive, but he's more injury prone, a bit more expensive, and we lose a comp pick. 

True but we flipped a 7th to a 5th in the Worm trade

Edited by Ray Reed

49 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Not sure how he had computed Brockers numbers or what, but the first year cap was only $5m but with the signing bonus factored in that would’ve been an additional amount.

The amount he was going to count against the cap was $5m

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

Derek Wolfe isn’t as impactful as what I believe Michael Brockers would’ve been, but he’s also clearly not a long term option and thus I could easily see us procuring a Justin Madubuike or Raekwon Davis in the second round and that giving the overall potential of the unit that much more juice.

This is where I'm at. He's an upgrade over Wormley in the rotation, but this still means drafting a DI early will be key. Personally, I'd love a Madubuike(1st-2nd) and Fotu(3rd-4th) double dip. Would inject some big upside talent at both 3T and 5T, and give each prospect a chance to crack the rotation early. They could learn from some pretty successful veterans at their positions too, with Campbell and Wolfe in house.

SIS had Wolfe at 14 pressures last year, so with 7 Sacks that's a ridiculous conversion rate. Conservatively, I'd expect him back down in the 2-3 Sack range this year with about the same amount of pressures. This isn't the big upgrade to our interior pass rush many will anticipate.

Brockers played about 240 more snaps than Wolfe(535) and had 7 more pressures at 21 total. And again Wormley had just 5 pressures on 448 snaps, a total Zach Sieler matched on 117 snaps and Brent Urban matched on 245 snaps(Our other former 5Ts, FWIW).

Our only young developmental option on the defensive line is Daylon Mack, who is unproven and didn't really flash during his limited preseason opportunities. 

Outside of Rounds 1-3 it will be almost impossible to identify an early significant contributor, and the FA market is cooked. Maybe EDC swings a trade for someone, or brings in a guy like Clowney. Who similar to ZDS, can generate pressure rushing over IOLs. Neither move is all that likely though. So onto the draft we go. Time to pour over those DI cut ups.