Top TE Prospects in NFL Draft

turtle28

9 hours ago, taylor made said:

Good idea for a thread. These are my thoughts:

Cole Kmet, TE Notre Dame - 2nd round - I think Kmet is the best in the Tight End class. Or at least the safest. He has plus athleticism and just seems like a natural TE out there. He was highly recruited coming out of high school. His play style reminds me of Jason Witten. Will he turn out as good as Witten? Probably not. He most likely won't be there with our 3rd round draft pick, and I think this team runs to the podium if he is there unless someone like Denzel Sims,Michael Pittman, Jr. or Malik Harrison are there.

Adam Trautman, TE Dayton - 2nd round - Trautman is a hard evaulation. His competition is minor league and he is a former QB. He has a lot of hype right now, but is it  justified? He seems to have all the intangibles as well. He is a plus athlete and did well at the Senior Bowl.  He reminds me of Chris Cooley. He is on the shortlist of our 3rd round pick, but he could be easily be picked in the 2nd round.

Albert O, TE Missouri - 2nd-3rd round - He might have the biggest frame in the tight end class. He can create yards after contact which besides Cole Kmet it doesn't seem like many tight ends in this class can do. He splits out to the slot but I don't see him being a big threat there in the NFL. He's an above average blocker out there with that huge frame but I'm not sure he has that killer mentality to be feared there. He ran a great forty time,  but he opted out of the other drills and probably for good reason. I'm not sure if I ever see Albert having the upside to be a dominant tight end. I don't have a comp for him. His production dropped after Drew Lock left and that's a concern. I would consider him with our 3rd round pick but I'd be hoping a better player would drop to us.

I think a big part of that lack in production could of had to do with having kelly bryant has his QB

• Like 1

9 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Would you trade up in the 2nd round to get in front of teams like the Patriots to make sure you got a guy like Kmet, Trautman or Albert O? 

Or would you just wait until round 3 to see which/if one of them fell to us there?

I’m open to trading up to make sure we get the TE we think that could start like Kmet but it depends on the cost. 

Of course if we are finally able to trade Trent we could have a 2nd where we could draft one of them there also.

I wouldnt trade up for any TE in this draft. none seem like they can be the next big thing. I could be wrong though, wr have rogers, thomas, sprinkle, and henteges right now, i let them battle it out. if albert o or kmet are there in the 3rd i would take 1, other than that i wait til the 4th round

• Like 1

a couple thoughts: 

not having a pro day has to hurt those tight ends who didn’t work out- and also players who were really good but hurt during the season. Albert O has blazing speed, but didn’t lift, Jump,  shuttle nothing. You can’t pick a guy on day 1 or day 2 you haven’t fully evaluated. But that speed, that size, is intriguing. Here’s my comp to him. Any guesses? what better things you have to do? 😂 

Height:  77.88 inches
Weight:  254 pounds
BMI:  30.15 
Arm Length:  32.50 inches
Hand Size:  10.50 inches
Front Shoulder:  14.0 inches
Back Shoulder: 

18.0 inches

40 Yard Dash:  4.53 seconds
40 Yard (MPH):  18.06 (MPH)
20 Yard Split:  2.61 seconds
10 Yard Split:  1.61 seconds
Bench Press:  23 reps (225 lb)

Option 2 in the fourth or fifth

Height:  75.5 inches
Weight:  265 pounds
BMI:  33.47 
Arm Length:  30.88 inches
Hand Size:  9.63 inches
Front Shoulder:  13.0 inches
Back Shoulder:  15.5 inches

NFL Combine Measurables

40 Yard Dash:  4.86 seconds
40 Yard (MPH):  16.83 (MPH)
20 Yard Split:  2.75 seconds
10 Yard Split:  1.65 seconds
Bench Press:  22 reps (225 lb)

or 

6' 4"
253 lbs
32 1/4”
HANDS
9 3/4”
40-4.7
Bench Press 21
Vertical Jump34.
Broad Jump125.0
3 Cone Drill 7.07
20 Yd Shuttle4.19

Edited by Doc Draper

43 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

I think a big part of that lack in production could of had to do with having kelly bryant has his QB

Troutman has that Edleman Bill Bilichek gene. He was a QB. He plays super smart but he’s also super strong and has good effort run blocking. I know he’s a small school guy and I’m the conductor of this hype train. But the guy is going to make a lot of teams look dumb for passing on him because his level of competition. He might not be the game 1 impact Hockinson and high round guys can sometimes be. But honestly the fact we went and signed Logan Thomas makes me believe we would highly consider Troutman. Trautman and Thomas could both be used for end around passes trick plays that Ron actually likes his OC’s to add. I know I’m higher then most on this guy but I think he’s the next big time guy at the position.

Just another nugget on the Trautman love. When we drafted our last great talent we drafted a flyer TE named Cooley. I’m hoping we can match that ST Cooley with a Young Trautman this year

Edited by ripsean21
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

Character. I think he was amazing with Lock I think teams fear Lock made him better after a down year as well.

A good QB always makes the players around him better and good players make a QB better. That goes hand in hand. You can’t expect a very talented TE or WR to have amazing stats with an average or below average QB, just like it’s hard for a QB to produce w/o good WRs and a good TE.

Perfect example is Michael Thomas at Ohio State w/ JT Barrett throwing him the ball vs what he’s done in the pros w/ Brees throwing to him. It’s clear Michael Thomas had first round talent, but his production wasn’t what it could be bc of QB play.

3 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

I’m not very high on him. I can’t remeber his name the colts took him Fleener I think very similar player from Stanford as well. I think he’s 1 dimensional. I like him just not for us. While it would be great having a super y’all redzone weapon we need a 3 phase TE. That is why I’m super high on Trautman. But I also think if your going one dimensional with a guy then Albert O or Kemt are the two strictly pass catcher guys 

Coby Fleener wasn’t a bad TE. He had a lot of concussions & a bad one in his second year in New Orleans which has seemed to end his career.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/sean-payton-recently-cut-coby-fleener-is-working-through-medical-clearance-process/amp/

Last week, the New Orleans Saintsreleased tight endCoby Fleener just two years into a five-year, $36 million deal. Fleener disappointed in his two years with the Saints, and also has been off the field since suffering a head injury in 2017.

In his first year with the team, Fleener caught 50 passes for 631 yards and three touchdowns. He started hot out of the gates by catching five passes for 54 yards and a touchdown against the Vikings in Week 1 of last season, but he ended up totaling justy 22 catches for 295 yards and two touchdowns before being placed on injured reserve in early December. 

Now a free agent after being cut loose, Fleener is apparently working his way back to full health. Saints coach Sean Payton told reporters on Saturday that Fleener is working through the process of being medically cleared to play.

This article was from two years ago in May of 2018. Also, just bc Parkinson went to Stanford doesn’t mean he should be compared to Coby Fleener. I understand why people do that but it just isn’t a comparison that should be made.

Fleener’s career stats:

2012: 26 recs, 281 yds & 2 TDs (in 12 yrs)

2013: 52 recs, 608 yds & 4 TDs

2014: 51 recs, 774 yds & 8 TDs

2015: 54 recs, 491 yds & 3 TDs

2016: 50 recs, 631 yds & 3 TDs 

2017: 22 recs, 295 yds & 2 TDs

If Colby Parkinson falls to round 4 and we draft him with the 2nd pick in the 4th round and he has a 6 year career like that for the Redskins, I’d take it!

That being said, I’m defiantly higher on Cole Kemt, Adam Trautman, Thaddeus Moss, Albert O & Brycen Hopkins and  I want them more then Parkinson.

5 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

There, that's the one.  I'd take a lot of this season as a grain of salt as far as production goes.  Specific film is going to help here, and keep an eye on things that are under his control.  Good think there is also a lot of film with him and Lock as well.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

a couple thoughts: 

not having a pro day has to hurt those tight ends who didn’t work out- and also players who were really good but hurt during the season. Albert O has blazing speed, but didn’t lift, Jump,  shuttle nothing. You can’t pick a guy on day 1 or day 2 you haven’t fully evaluated. But that speed, that size, is intriguing. Here’s my comp to him. Any guesses? what better things you have to do? 😂 

Height:  77.88 inches
Weight:  254 pounds
BMI:  30.15 
Arm Length:  32.50 inches
Hand Size:  10.50 inches
Front Shoulder:  14.0 inches
Back Shoulder: 

18.0 inches

40 Yard Dash:  4.53 seconds
40 Yard (MPH):  18.06 (MPH)
20 Yard Split:  2.61 seconds
10 Yard Split:  1.61 seconds
Bench Press:  23 reps (225 lb)

Sure you can pick that guy on day 1 or 2, turn on the tape and watch him play. The tape is the most important piece of the puzzle. Also, they can have individual work outs and interviews that teams can do over the internet even w/o having a true ”pro day.”

My guess on the comparison is Jared Cook.

Edited by turtle28

5 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

Troutman has that Edleman Bill Bilichek gene. He was a QB. He plays super smart but he’s also super strong and has good effort run blocking. I know he’s a small school guy and I’m the conductor of this hype train. But the guy is going to make a lot of teams look dumb for passing on him because his level of competition. He might not be the game 1 impact Hockinson and high round guys can sometimes be. But honestly the fact we went and signed Logan Thomas makes me believe we would highly consider Troutman. Trautman and Thomas could both be used for end around passes trick plays that Ron actually likes his OC’s to add. I know I’m higher then most on this guy but I think he’s the next big time guy at the position.

Just another nugget on the Trautman love. When we drafted our last great talent we drafted a flyer TE named Cooley. I’m hoping we can match that ST Cooley with a Young Trautman this year

Hockenson actually proved me right so far last year in his rookie season - even though it was just one season - he wasn't worth a top 10 pick.

He had an underwhelming rookie year w/ just 32 recs, 367 yds & 2 TDs.

I hope he has a breakout season in his 2nd year, his rookie year was a dud.

The other Iowa rookie TE, Noah Fant outplayed Hockenson for the Broncos last year:

40 recs, 562 yds & 3 TDs, even that though is average for a TE except for the yards, it's obvious that Fant can stretch the field.

Could've drafted some better defenders for Patricia’s defense who went just after him like Ed Oliver, Devin Bush or even Brian Burns who was drafted 16th & had 7.5 sacks in just 5 games started.

Edited by turtle28

To be honest, speed isn’t necessarily what i’m looking for in a TE. Hands, spacial awareness and blocking ability all come before speed.

Call me old school, but I think we need a true TE. A guy who can find the open space on 3rd and 7, has reliable hands and can block well when asked. We haven’t had someone like that in a long time. 

These very athletic, spread TEs are a great asset when you have one, but you need true TE for a young guy like Haskins to rely on.

Edited by A TRAIN 89
  • Like 3

Hockenson had three different QBs throwing to him, including Jeff Driskel and David Blough.  That sounds an awful lot like Mark Sanchez and Josh Johnson to me.  Also, Hockenson only played 12 games, and was shut down with a quarter of the season remaining.  It's hard for me to judge him on one season right now, especially with that group of QBs throwing him the football. 

5 minutes ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

To be honest, speed isn’t necessarily what i’m looking for in a TE. Hands, spacial awareness and blocking ability all come before speed.

Call me old school, but I think we need a true TE. A guy who can find the open space on 3rd and 7, has reliable hands and can block well when asked. We haven’t had someone like that in a long time. 

These very athletic, spread TEs are a great asset when you have one, but you need true TE for a young guy like Haskins to rely on.

That's the kind of TE I think the Redskins ultimately want to end up with.  Those are the guys who perform the best in the Coryell offense, especially working underneath for those shorter passes as the receivers stretch the field.  

• Like 1