Top TE Prospects in NFL Draft

turtle28

35 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Hockenson had three different QBs throwing to him, including Jeff Driskel and David Blough.  That sounds an awful lot like Mark Sanchez and Josh Johnson to me.  Also, Hockenson only played 12 games, and was shut down with a quarter of the season remaining.  It's hard for me to judge him on one season right now, especially with that group of QBs throwing him the football. 

Terry McLaurin did too. Didn't affect him.

Anyways, like I said I hope he develops and does better in the coming years and it was just his rookie year.

Regardless of that though, his rookie year was a disappointment compared to what the hype was for him - especially amongst Redskins nation. All I heard about was how awesome he was going to be right always and well...

Maybe this year.

Edited by turtle28

45 minutes ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

To be honest, speed isn’t necessarily what i’m looking for in a TE. Hands, spacial awareness and blocking ability all come before speed.

Call me old school, but I think we need a true TE. A guy who can find the open space on 3rd and 7, has reliable hands and can block well when asked. We haven’t had someone like that in a long time. 

These very athletic, spread TEs are a great asset when you have one, but you need true TE for a young guy like Haskins to rely on.

Yeah man, we haven’t had a guy like that since Cooley.

3 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I think we can also all agree that Keenum, McCoy and Haskins are also markedly better than Driskel and Blough.  

Why can’t people just admit the truth?

Just admit that Hockenson was a disappointment in his rooke year. Admit the obvious.

13 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

It was disappointing, but it's also not all under his control.  

Agreed, still it is what it is. 

How about we look at how Hockenson played w/ Stafford as his QB, unless you’re going to tell me that Haskins, Keenum & McCoy are better then him too...

19 recs, 240 yds & 2 TDs 

In 8 games, not exactly lighting the world on fire playing w/ a pro bowl QB. Hopefully he gets better for them.

7 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Agreed, still it is what it is. 

How about we look at how Hockenson played w/ Stafford as his QB, unless you’re going to tell me that Haskins, Keenum & McCoy are better then him too...

19 recs, 240 yds & 2 TDs 

In 8 games, not exactly lighting the world on fire playing w/ a pro bowl QB. Hopefully he gets better for them.

Never said that those guys would be better than Stafford.  

Also, 130 of those yards came in week one.  

So yeah, it's a disappointing season.  I'm not denying that.  I'm also looking at PFR, and it says he only started seven games.  Half of his games also have four targets or less.  But after a year I'm not going to call the guy a bust or say he was overdrafted, especially given some of the circumstances the team went through. 

20 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Never said that those guys would be better than Stafford.  

Also, 130 of those yards came in week one.  

So yeah, it's a disappointing season.  I'm not denying that.  I'm also looking at PFR, and it says he only started seven games.  Half of his games also have four targets or less.  But after a year I'm not going to call the guy a bust or say he was overdrafted, especially given some of the circumstances the team went through. 

Yes saw that. He did start off with a good week 1. I think he may have gotten hurt in week 12 or something and that’s why he was shut down.

Any way. I definitely agree he has talent and potential. 

I think he was over drafted by a bit, but not by like a whole round. I just didn’t think he was worth a top 10 pick. I was thinking he was more a second half of first round talent.

I do wish him the best except when he’s playing us haha! 🤣 

Edited by turtle28

21 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Would you trade up in the 2nd round to get in front of teams like the Patriots to make sure you got a guy like Kmet, Trautman or Albert O? 

Or would you just wait until round 3 to see which/if one of them fell to us there?

I’m open to trading up to make sure we get the TE we think that could start like Kmet but it depends on the cost. 

I would not trade up for any of the TEs in this draft. 

Kmet is my favorite of the TEs. He reminds me of a less savvy Austin Hooper. He doesn’t seem to have great feel for the game at this point, which makes sense as a multi-sport athlete. But he’s got good speed to threaten the seam, he’s got excellent hands, and he works hard after the catch. Very inconsistent blocker, although it looks like he improved over the course of last season. He was worthless as a blocker against Georgia early in the year, but looked a lot better against UVA and BC. Might just have been a factor of worse competition level, though.

Either way, he’s a pass catcher and not much of a blocker as a rookie. Would consider taking him if we got a later 2nd rounder, would definitely consider taking him at 66. But we’re already a little short on picks, and since we went so soft in FA, I don’t think we can sacrifice pick depth in trade ups. 

Trautman and Hopkins are the only other ones I’d consider taking at 66. Trautman would hinge on seeing whether he truly did excel as a two-way TE at the Senior Bowl, as there’s just nothing of value (to a pure amateur like me) on the game film. He killed everyone he played against — but Kmet and Hopkins and the rest likely would have as well. I’m not adverse to taking a low level FCS player in the 3rd, but I’d have to be absolutely convinced on a lot of levels. 

Hopkins, you’re taking him for one reason and one alone. He’s already a pretty polished receiver (except for the hands, of course). Worthless as a blocker, so he’s only playing in certain packages — possibly even as a big slot or a mismatch in shorter yardage. He has potential to be a weapon, but he can’t be your only TE. 

The rest of them, I’m absolutely waiting until Day 3. And probably the same with Hopkins, honestly. 

• Like 2

Tough for rookie TEs to make a strong immediate impact. It’s a more cerebral position than most, because you’ve got serious responsibilities in both run and pass, and it’s a major feel thing. Because you’re frequentlythe QB’s outlet, you need to be able to read defenses — coverages in order to decipher where the weak spots may be in zones, as well as blitzes to know when you need to break things off and go hot. 

It’s kinda like center, or catcher in baseball for people who are familiar with that. More than anything, you’re looking for consistent, cerebral, reliable, and dependable to be able to count on every down. Hard for young guys to develop that right out of the gate, which I think is why you see even very good ones have pretty pedestrian performances early on in their careers.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I would not trade up for any of the TEs in this draft. 

Kmet is my favorite of the TEs. He reminds me of a less savvy Austin Hooper. He doesn’t seem to have great feel for the game at this point, which makes sense as a multi-sport athlete. But he’s got good speed to threaten the seam, he’s got excellent hands, and he works hard after the catch. Very inconsistent blocker, although it looks like he improved over the course of last season. He was worthless as a blocker against Georgia early in the year, but looked a lot better against UVA and BC. Might just have been a factor of worse competition level, though.

Either way, he’s a pass catcher and not much of a blocker as a rookie. Would consider taking him if we got a later 2nd rounder, would definitely consider taking him at 66. But we’re already a little short on picks, and since we went so soft in FA, I don’t think we can sacrifice pick depth in trade ups. 

Trautman and Hopkins are the only other ones I’d consider taking at 66. Trautman would hinge on seeing whether he truly did excel as a two-way TE at the Senior Bowl, as there’s just nothing of value (to a pure amateur like me) on the game film. He killed everyone he played against — but Kmet and Hopkins and the rest likely would have as well. I’m not adverse to taking a low level FCS player in the 3rd, but I’d have to be absolutely convinced on a lot of levels. 

Hopkins, you’re taking him for one reason and one alone. He’s already a pretty polished receiver (except for the hands, of course). Worthless as a blocker, so he’s only playing in certain packages — possibly even as a big slot or a mismatch in shorter yardage. He has potential to be a weapon, but he can’t be your only TE. 

The rest of them, I’m absolutely waiting until Day 3. And probably the same with Hopkins, honestly. 

What about Albert O? I’m not sure why the writer didn’t mention him, but would you take him at 66?

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

Tough for rookie TEs to make a strong immediate impact. It’s a more cerebral position than most, because you’ve got serious responsibilities in both run and pass, and it’s a major feel thing. Because you’re frequentlythe QB’s outlet, you need to be able to read defenses — coverages in order to decipher where the weak spots may be in zones, as well as blitzes to know when you need to break things off and go hot. 

It’s kinda like center, or catcher in baseball for people who are familiar with that. More than anything, you’re looking for consistent, cerebral, reliable, and dependable to be able to count on every down. Hard for young guys to develop that right out of the gate, which I think is why you see even very good ones have pretty pedestrian performances early on in their careers.

Definitely agree with that assessment.  It's also a reason why not a lot of first round picks are expending on tight-ends, even though their value for teams is heading through the roof right now. 

• Like 1

Kevin Sheehan just pointed out that we also have Caleb Wilson at TE who isn’t much of a blocker but was a good pass catching TE at UCLA. 

He was drafted in the 7th round by the Cardinals last year. Just another guy added to the list/competition.

So our depth chart right now at TE is:

1. Jeremy Sprinkle

2. Richard Rogers

3. Logan Thomas

4. Hale Henteges
5. Jerome Cunningham 
6.Caleb Wilson
7. Marcus Baugh

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Why did I laugh so hard at this?

Because I have trouble admitting the truth as well - we all do bc we want to be right in our predictions and for our predictions to be right - but hey, I just did it again. So there’s that.

Edited by turtle28