Top TE Prospects in NFL Draft

turtle28

13 hours ago, turtle28 said:

What about Albert O? I’m not sure why the writer didn’t mention him, but would you take him at 66?

I wouldn’t. It’s a production issue with him, he’s got outstanding physical tools but he’s never really put it together. I don’t believe Mizzou did much to maximize his talents, but I can’t gamble on a guy “becoming” a good player with our second highest pick.

He’d be right in that mix with Hopkins and the two Bryants and maybe Pinkney from Vandy in the 4th for me. 

16 hours ago, e16bball said:

Tough for rookie TEs to make a strong immediate impact. It’s a more cerebral position than most, because you’ve got serious responsibilities in both run and pass, and it’s a major feel thing. Because you’re frequentlythe QB’s outlet, you need to be able to read defenses — coverages in order to decipher where the weak spots may be in zones, as well as blitzes to know when you need to break things off and go hot. 

It’s kinda like center, or catcher in baseball for people who are familiar with that. More than anything, you’re looking for consistent, cerebral, reliable, and dependable to be able to count on every down. Hard for young guys to develop that right out of the gate, which I think is why you see even very good ones have pretty pedestrian performances early on in their careers.

This is why I keep telling people the 2nd smartest person (or the smartest with the QB a close 2nd) on the offense HAS to be the TE. I've known tons of RBs and WRs who ONLY know their assignments on a given play. The TE has to check with the OL blocking assignments, know which guy they are picking up, or on a pass play they have to know how to read coverages. WR's have to know it too along with other intangibles (such as if the Safety is playing off and inside I can push him slightly in before I stem the route out to create more separation), but your TE really has to be almost another QB on the field.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

I wouldn’t. It’s a production issue with him, he’s got outstanding physical tools but he’s never really put it together. I don’t believe Mizzou did much to maximize his talents, but I can’t gamble on a guy “becoming” a good player with our second highest pick.

He’d be right in that mix with Hopkins and the two Bryants and maybe Pinkney from Vandy in the 4th for me. 

Albert O With Lock in 2017 as a freshman  & a sophomore in 2018:

2017: 29 recs, 415 yds (14.3 ypc) & 11 TDs

2018: 43 recs, 466 yds & 6 TDs 

With Kelly Bryant in 2019:

26 recs, 306 yds & 6 TDs

He has 23 TDs in 3 years in college.

What’s wrong with this production?

2019 almost 100% had to do w/ the drop in QB play from Drew Lock to Kelly Bryant but even then, he still had 6 TDs.

7 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

This is why I keep telling people the 2nd smartest person (or the smartest with the QB a close 2nd) on the offense HAS to be the TE. I've known tons of RBs and WRs who ONLY know their assignments on a given play. The TE has to check with the OL blocking assignments, know which guy they are picking up, or on a pass play they have to know how to read coverages. WR's have to know it too along with other intangibles (such as if the Safety is playing off and inside I can push him slightly in before I stem the route out to create more separation), but your TE really has to be almost another QB on the field.

Great point! I’ve never thought about that before. Another reason why the TE is the QBs safety value/best friend on the field.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Albert O With Lock in 2017 as a freshman  & a sophomore in 2018:

2017: 29 recs, 415 yds (14.3 ypc) & 11 TDs

2018: 43 recs, 466 yds & 6 TDs 

With Kelly Bryant in 2019:

26 recs, 306 yds & 6 TDs

He has 23 TDs in 3 years in college.

What’s wrong with this production?

2019 almost 100% had to do w/ the drop in QB play from Drew Lock to Kelly Bryant but even then, he still had 6 TDs.

Yeah, I guess to some degree I am penalizing him for taking a clear step back in production as a junior. Production was fine (better than fine) for the freshman and sophomore seasons. It’s just that we were hoping to see him grab the brass ring as the star TE in the class — and instead he basically dropped the ball. He was 5th on the Mizzou team in receptions and yards, and all those other guys who outproduced him had to catch passes from Kelly Bryant.

My concern is that he’s not progressing as a player, from a skill and technique and savvy standpoint. I think a lot of his production comes from just being bigger and stronger and faster than other college players, and that doesn’t fly at the NFL level. He’s had the opportunity from a very young age, and I feel like he’s basically the same player now that he was as a freshman. 

Don't get me wrong, I’m happy to take a flyer on the guy on Day 3. Even early on Day 3. But I just can’t use what’s basically a 2nd round pick on a guy who I think will be largely a non-factor as a rookie. 

3 hours ago, e16bball said:

Yeah, I guess to some degree I am penalizing him for taking a clear step back in production as a junior. Production was fine (better than fine) for the freshman and sophomore seasons. It’s just that we were hoping to see him grab the brass ring as the star TE in the class — and instead he basically dropped the ball. He was 5th on the Mizzou team in receptions and yards, and all those other guys who outproduced him had to catch passes from Kelly Bryant.

My concern is that he’s not progressing as a player, from a skill and technique and savvy standpoint. I think a lot of his production comes from just being bigger and stronger and faster than other college players, and that doesn’t fly at the NFL level. He’s had the opportunity from a very young age, and I feel like he’s basically the same player now that he was as a freshman. 

Don't get me wrong, I’m happy to take a flyer on the guy on Day 3. Even early on Day 3. But I just can’t use what’s basically a 2nd round pick on a guy who I think will be largely a non-factor as a rookie. 

True, so more like if we go WR at the top of the 3rd and then come back and go Albert O w/ our pick in round 4.

Getting say ”your man” Michael Pittman at # 66 (walterfootball has us taking Albert O here by the way) and then at # 108 get Albert O.

(Walterfootball has the Panthers taking Michael Pittman at #113 by the way, we’d pass on him for Essang Beasy, CB, Wake Forest), which I don't like, I'd definitely take Pittman if we passed on him in round 3 and he's still there in round 4, that's a no brainer!

3 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

Sure both seem like good prospects but Kmet will be more pro ready as a dual threat TE. He has monster hands :)

I still hope we get Trey Adams too. 

The only thing that worries me about Kmet is only one year of production but, he's clearly the best prospect.

Edited by turtle28

7 hours ago, turtle28 said:

True, so more like if we go WR at the top of the 3rd and then come back and go Albert O w/ our pick in round 4.

Getting say ”your man” Michael Pittman at # 66 (walterfootball has us taking Albert O here by the way) and then at # 108 get Albert O.

(Walterfootball has the Panthers taking Michael Pittman at #113 by the way, we’d pass on him for Essang Beasy, CB, Wake Forest), which I don't like, I'd definitely take Pittman if we passed on him in round 3 and he's still there in round 4, that's a no brainer!

I think Pittman is (much) more likely to go in the 1st round than in the 4th round, so that seems to be a classic Walter Football oversight there. 

However, to Walter’s credit, I think based on his newest mock, McShay would likely agree with them on Albert O at #66. He ranks Albert O as the #2 TE in the class, and the #62 overall prospect, but doesn’t have him going in the top 2 rounds. Given our obvious need at the position, I’d assume he’d mock him to us there (if Cincy didn’t snare him first — a real concern I have about TEs, especially if Kmet fell to the 3rd). 

• Like 1

The TE who keeps standing out to me when I watch him is Harrison Bryant from FAU. 

He didn’t play much as an in-line TE, more of a move player, but I think he’s probably the  most enthusiastic blocker I’ve seen at the position in this draft, at least of the top guys. He blocks hard and he packs a pretty good punch. Athletically, he seems pretty comparable to the rest of the top guys — combine performance was a little disappointing, honestly, but he looks smooth and athletic on the field. Fluid player. Huge production, although admittedly it was just CUSA. Won the Mackey award though.

He’s a guy I’d look favorably upon if he made it to us in the 4th. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, e16bball said:

The TE who keeps standing out to me when I watch him is Harrison Bryant from FAU. 

He didn’t play much as an in-line TE, more of a move player, but I think he’s probably the  most enthusiastic blocker I’ve seen at the position in this draft, at least of the top guys. He blocks hard and he packs a pretty good punch. Athletically, he seems pretty comparable to the rest of the top guys — combine performance was a little disappointing, honestly, but he looks smooth and athletic on the field. Fluid player. Huge production, although admittedly it was just CUSA. Won the Mackey award though.

He’s a guy I’d look favorably upon if he made it to us in the 4th. 

I like it! Thanks E 

This TE class is crazy. Outside of Kmet, there are so many guys that don't seem to have a consensus. Also, because of the perceived down year, people might be trying to see more in them then there is. 

After Kmet, there's guys like Troutman (high production but lower competition), Albert Okwuegbunam (good production until last year / other issues), Moss (perceived high ceiling / mismatch nightmare but needs work), Brycen Hopkins (good production), Harrison Bryant (I also really like him, e), Colby Parkinson (more traditional TE who can block, but has good hands), Jared Pinkney (offense did him no favors), Hunter Bryant (undersized), Dalton Keene (love Rambo, but he's more swiss army knife H Back), and more. Let's hope the Redskins do their research and find who they want. There's probably a diamond or two in there. 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2020 at 3:26 PM, Doc Draper said:

Sure both seem like good prospects but Kmet will be more pro ready as a dual threat TE. He has monster hands :)

I still hope we get Trey Adams too. 

Trey Adams does fit this team as an oft-injured guy.  The back concerns as an OT really scare me though.  Still, a few years ago he was a projected top 15 overall pick.