Post Combine Mock 2020

Madmike90

Free Agents

OL…Josh Kline…6-3” 300lbs…

I’m not a huge fan of the Ifedi move and still feel we should be looking to increase depth and competition inside…Kline is nothing special but a solid enough OG with starting experience who we could probably get for vet min at this point...our new Ted Larsen.

ILB…Preston Brown…6-1” 250lbs…

I really like the fact we resigned Danny-T and think Roquan could be primed to break out this season but I worry about the injury history and depth with Nick-K leaving…Brown is a thumper insider and would be a nice compliment to both our starters.

CB…Prince Amukamara…6-0” 205lbs…

I am not putting Prince in this mock in terms of depth chart but I hope we are still in contact with the guy because his market has seemed like crickets so far this offseason…if we can get him back for a great price I think we should be all over it.

Draft…

Round 2 (#43)…  

WR…Jalen Reagor…5-11” 205lbs…TCU…

Ryan Pace must have had a list coming into this offseason when it comes to fixing the offence…

1.      Who plays QB?

2.      How do we protect that QB?

3.      How do we generate more explosive plays?

4.      How do we get the running game being more productive?

5.      How do we find more playmakers outside of ARob?

That is a lot to work on…I think the Foles moves is going to turn out really well…a guy who plays within the system with accuracy and decision making ability to simply get the ball into the playmakers hands…I think his ability to read defences better than Mitch can instantly helps in protecting him…I also think hiring Castillo and changing the blocking scheme to something that fits out Olinemen far better will also have a massive effect…we will also be adding more talent upfront and putting guys in their natural positions…how do we continue to help that QB…help the OL…and answer the final 3 questions? You find an explosive outside WR who can take the top off any defence and force teams to keep the extra man out of the box…Reagor isn’t a complete WR and doesn’t have natural receiving skills…but he is good enough that when you combine it with exceptional athletic ability he can be the “one trick” pony that this offence needs…a guy like DeSean Jackson who every time the ball is thrown up you know he can run under it and has the potential to score…that is an instance shot in the arm for the running game because defences must respect a true deep threat…it helps ARob, Miller & Graham underneath…should also help with Montgomery and Cohen out of the backfield…I think the only reason he makes it this late is because of the exceptional depth at the WR position in this draft and the fact he isn’t an all-round type of receiver.

Bears trade #50 to Detroit for #67, #85 & #182

Round 3 (#67)… 

S…Jeremy Chinn…6-3” 220lbs…Southern Illinois…

As much as improving the offence has to be the priority this offseason, we can’t forget about the defence…in the font seven resigning Danny-T and upgrading from Floyd to Quinn should keep that group rolling along nicely…but what about the back end? Losing two of our starters is a real concern…personally I really like the upside Roberson offers and think he could be the answer as a #2 CB…Artie Burns is also a guy with starting experience in the NFL…and the market for Amukamara has been non existent so far so could a return be on the cards? The safety situation doesn’t hold as much hope IMO…Haha is off to the cowboys and truthfully given his skill set handcuffed Eddie Jackson as little I am glad we are moving in an other direction…resigning Bush is a solid move and he should be given the opportunity to compete but we badly need to draft a talented SS who complements Jackson…Chinn IMO is exactly that…for years I have said we should draft a tall, long athletic SS who can match up with TEs that have dominated us year in year out…Chuck Pagano seems to think the same given one of the first players he drafted in Indy was Clayton Geathers and he had Bernard Pollard in Baltimore…Chinn is a combination of real size but also insane athletic ability and range…his size allows him to play in the box where at times he looks like a nickle LB…his man coverage skills are also a real plus against TEs which would allow Jackson to be a true centre fielder…I would love to see Chinn’s versatility used within this scheme.

Round 3 (#85)…

C…Nick Harris…6-1” 303lbs…Washington…

The regression of our offence last season can be put down to a number of factors but I am not sure anything hurt us as much as the OL…from being a massive strength in 2018 it became almost unrecognisable in 2019 with every single player taking a step back the way…personally I do not feel this was down to a lack of talent…more the scheme we were asking them to pay simply wasn’t a fit…none of our offensive linemen fit a power scheme more than a zone…changing Whitehair & Daniels around before the season started also didn’t feel like a great idea…nor did allowing Kyle Long to play when he was clearly done…HH payed for these decisions with his job and I believe Juan Castillo is a far better fit for these linemen…with that said I hope Castillo moves Whitehair to RG which IMO has always been his best position…keep Daniels at LG where he can have a full offseason without studying and draft a true centre…the term “true centre” is both a positive and a negative for Harris…on one hand he has the athletic ability and awareness to be excellent on double teams and when climbing to the 2nd level to take on ILBs…he probably has the best and most active feet of any centre in this draft…he is tough and plays with the grit to take on all comers…that said he lasts on the board this long because he is only a centre…he offers no position versatility…is short and has poor length and body makeup…that alone will push him down of a lot of boards but for me the dude is just a football player…and if he turns out to be half as good as the last undersized centre we drafted out of Washington in the 3rd round then he will be an amazing pick up.

Round 5 (#163)…

OT…Tyre Phillips…6-5” 330lbs…Mississippi State…

As I said previously the regression of the OL has been a major concern and as much as I suspect we will see a bounce back season from the likes of Leno & Massie I think we need to create more depth and competition for places…I am not a huge fan of the Ifedi signing so I see us still looking for a young talent at OT…I doubt we are going to be lucky enough to find a potential LT this late so lets focus on the RT position and find someone who could step up and take Massie’s spot in a year or two…Phillips IMO is one of the most underrated tackles in the class…Phillips has been battle hardened against SEC talent where he has shown he could hang on the outside in pass pro mostly due to excellent length, strong hands & underrated athletic ability…Phillips is solid in pass pro but as a run blocker he is extremely strong and moves people out of the hole for his running back on almost every play…Phillips is a true powerhouse who I fully believe can be a starting RT for many years to come.

Round 6 (#182)…

TE…Sean McKeon…6-5” 245lbs…Michigan…

Some will be truly shocked by taking a TE this late in the draft…even when I was building this mock I was trying to get a TE in the first 3 rounds…that was until I listened to what Jimmy Graham was saying during his conference call…he spoke about how the TE position was key to Nagy’s offence and that we were going to use him right…translation…Graham is going to play a ton of “F” TE and not be asked to play inline much at all…now if that is the case and we get a motivated Graham who has a chip on his shoulder…which it sounds like he does…then maybe the signing won’t be so bad after all…but where as most of us expected a vet inline TE and a rookie “F” we now need to swap these roles around and find a young TE who we believe can play inline as well as give us something in the short area passing game…McKeon is another guy who I think is underrated…is blocking technique is ever improving and he shows solid upper body strength when taking on bigger opponents…he was used a lot on reach and backside lead blocks for Michigan and again could do that for us…in the passing game McKeon shows soft hands and solid enough speed to be somewhat of a threat in the short to midrange…he is far from the explosive TE we all want but McKeon is maybe more what we need right now to get the best out of Graham.  

Round 6 (#196)… 

OLB…Oluwole Betiku Jr…6-3” 250lbs…Illinois…

I really like what Pace has done at OLB this offseason…Mack is your star who can do it all and can now be slotted in at LOLB which is his best spot for both rushing the passer and being outstanding against the run…brining in Quinn at ROLB as an upgrade on Floyd was a move very few seen coming but will be a massive shot in the arm when it comes to getting after the QB wither he be in a two of three point stance…the nickle defensive line is flat out scary…that said maybe the smartest move was bringing in Keke Mingo to replace Floyd in terms of versatility…Mingo is he type of player who can rush, play the run & cover from the OLB spot as well as being a 4 phase special teamer…Floyd without the price tag…but what happens if one of our two top pass rushers goes down? I have felt for years we need a 3rd down pass rusher who maybe doesn’t have a great all-round game but who can just get to the QB…a Mark Anderson type…enter Betiku Jr. who was a former 5-star HS recruit who landed at USC before transferring to Illinois…in his final season there he racked up 9 sacks and 13 TFL in only ten games using speed and great bend around the corner to give OTs fits…his game against UConn where he racked up 3.5 sacks is very impressive and if we can work on that consistency and keep him in that 3rd down pass rusher role he could develop into some nice depth.

Round 6 (#202)…

RB…Elijah Mitchell…5-10" 218lbs…La.-Lafayette…

The running game was bogged down so much last season for a number of reasons and while I don’t feel David Montgomery was to blame I still think we could give him some help in the backfield outside of Cohen who basically was giving away what was happening every time he lined up on early downs…Nagy has a type at RB…5-10ish 220lbsish bowling balls with quick feet, good vision and hands…enter Mitchell who is exactly that…with size & power the knock on him will be he won’t blow anyone away with long speed but he is a very similar runner to Montgomery and the blocking schemes could remain the exact same no matter which on is in the backfield…coming of a highly productive season with 1147 yards at 5.8 YPC and 16 TDs there are some skills there…look back to 2018 and he also had 20 receptions for an average of 17.5 yards per catch so he is productive in that area too.

Round 7 (#226)…

NT…Bravvion Roy…6-1” 333lbs…Baylor…

Our starting DL is really good…Hicks is a beast at DE…Goldman continues to do a great job quietly on the nose and Nichols will continue to develop as the 3rd man…RRH is also still a quality 4th man but after that I have real concerns and as much as I would like to see a vet signed to compete with Urban for that role I still feel we need a young guy who fits the development role…Roy is very similar to some of the nose tackles Pagano has had in the past as a short and stout space eater who can protect our ILBs…Roy will never be a good pass rusher and is limited to a two down role but this late it makes sense to add depth at that NT position.

Round 7 (#233)...

CB…Stantley Thomas-Oliver…6-0” 193lbs…FIU…

Picking this late you are looking for guys with traits and that is exactly what STO is…a former WR with a good size and speed combination his ball skills are worth a late round flier…I would expect him to be outstanding on special teams and probably compete with a guy like McManis who could still be resigned.

Depth Chart…

QB…Nick Foles…Mitch Trubisky

RB…David Montgomery…Elijah Mitchell…Tarik Cohen

FB…J.P Holtz

WR…Allen Robinson…Javon Wims

WR…Jalen Reagor…Riley Reid

WR…Anthony Miller…Cordarrelle Patterson

TE…Jimmy Graham...Sean McKeon…Jesper Horsted…(Burton IR)

LT…Charles Leno…Germain Ifedi

LG…James Daniels

C…Nick Harris…Josh Kline

RG…Cody Whitehair…Rashaad Coward                                

RT…Bobby Massie…Tyre Phillips

LE…Akiem Hicks…Brent Urban

NT…Eddie Goldman…Bravvion Roy

RE…Bilal Nichols…Roy Robertson-Harris

LOLB…Khalil Mack…Oluwole Betiku Jr.

ILB…Roquan Smith…Preston Brown

ILB…Patrick Onwuasor…Joel Iyiegbuniwe                             

ROLB…Leonard Floyd…Keke Mingo

NB…Buster Skrine…Duke Shelley                

CB…Kyle Fuller…Artie Burns…Stantley Thomas-Oliver

CB…Tre Roberson…Kevin Toliver                  

SS…Jeremy Chinn…Deon Bush

FS…Eddie Jackson…Jordan Lucas…Deandre Houston-Carson                   

P…Pat O’Donnell

K… Eddy Piñeiro

LS…Patrick Scales

No issue with the positions. I expect some investment in the offense to get it going.

Not a fan of Nick Harris for the Bears. The Bears lack power on the line and it means they have to stay on double teams to long and they lose too many single blocks. They already have the athletes inside, they need some heft.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WindyCity said:

No issue with the positions. I expect some investment in the offense to get it going.

Not a fan of Nick Harris for the Bears. The Bears lack power on the line and it means they have to stay on double teams to long and they lose too many single blocks. They already have the athletes inside, they need some heft.

I just feel we need to get away from being half zone guys and half power...we have talented guys who fit a zone scheme so why not go all in on that? Adding just one big strong OL to the mix when all the rest are mobile guys doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I just feel we need to get away from being half zone guys and half power...we have talented guys who fit a zone scheme so why not go all in on that? Adding just one big strong OL to the mix when all the rest are mobile guys doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

But we aren’t going to the full Shannahan outside zone cut block system where you can get away with less size.

The Bears are going to run a zone blocking  scheme, but you have to have guys who can handle 1 on 1 blocks and allow guys to get to the 2nd level as quickly as possible.

I would be genuinely shocked if Nick Harris can manage Kenny Clark on his own so the OGs can climb quickly and create seams.

We need our Brandon Brooks

13 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

But we aren’t going to the full Shannahan outside zone cut block system where you can get away with less size.

The Bears are going to run a zone blocking  scheme, but you have to have guys who can handle 1 on 1 blocks and allow guys to get to the 2nd level as quickly as possible.

I would be genuinely shocked if Nick Harris can manage Kenny Clark on his own so the OGs can climb quickly and create seams.

We need our Brandon Brooks

No one is saying we are going to go outside zone but a guy who is over 300lbs and has natural leverage can easily play in that scheme...look at Jason Kelce for all these years...very few centres are taking Kenny Clark one on one...ideally we want a centre to have the radar to see where the help will be needed to block these kinds of guys.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

LOL. I knew you were going to say that.  It still seems one sided.  

Isn’t it usually something like a 2nd for a lower 2nd and a 4th?

I wouldn't say so...looking over the last few drafts there have been some excellent value trades and some pretty one sided ones...purely depends on need and how badly a team want to make it happen...fairly obvious IMO that the Luons badly need playmakers and usually those are found with higher picks.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

No one is saying we are going to go outside zone but a guy who is over 300lbs and has natural leverage can easily play in that scheme...look at Jason Kelce for all these years...very few centres are taking Kenny Clark one on one...ideally we want a centre to have the radar to see where the help will be needed to block these kinds of guys.

Jason Kelce is flanked by some bigger boys. 

It is the lack of reach and power that concerns me. He is a positional blocker and we already have 3 of those.

• Like 1

Just now, WindyCity said:

Jason Kelce is flanked by some bigger boys. 

It is the lack of reach and power that concerns me. He is a positional blocker and we already have 3 of those.

Agree to disagree...I reckon you can generate push in the run game with those three inside...I have never been a huge believer that you need guys who are 6-5" 320lbs to move people...technique is key.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Agree to disagree...I reckon you can generate push in the run game with those three inside...I have never been a huge believer that you need guys who are 6-5" 320lbs to move people...technique is key.

If you're an undersized limited athlete your technique needs to be exceptional every rep to make up for those limitations.

Edited by WindyCity
  • Like 1