Should Pittsburgh take a chance and pursue Jamal Adams?

RamblinMan99

Jamal Adams will probably get his extension with New York, but what if Pittsburgh were to step in with a risky trade for him?  

Somebody recently stated that Pittsburgh could essentially offer JuJu Smith Schuster with their 2021 1st round pick for Jamal Adams.  

It's most likely never going to happen since Pittsburgh is just about the cheapest team in the league and that New York's personnel intend to keep Adams.  

But, here's why making an offer to New York isn't such a terrible idea.

Jamal Adams is 24 and he is proven.  He had 115 tackles in 2018 and was a sack machine with 6.5 last season.  He would compliment Minkah Fitzpatrick really well in the pass rush.  

That's actually why it's even less risky than it was for Pittsburgh to acquire Minkah from Miami last year.  

While Minkah had 2 INTs after his rookie season, he was largely unproven with little experience.

It's a difficult scenario to predict, but what if JuJu Smith-Schuster has a largely mediocre season in 2020?  It's definitely possible given his play this past season. 

Sure, he was injured for a chunk of the season and Big Ben was out after two games, but he also dropped a lot of good passes in 2019.  

This would be the chance New York would have to take, but they're getting an experienced target for Sam Darnold, and another 1st round pick for next season.  

While Pittsburgh would obviously have to pick another wideout low in the draft, their beefed up defensive secondary would render them automatic playoff contenders.  

Why would the Jets want a receiver who, like you said, just came off a disappointing season, to go along with a first round pick a year from now in exchange for one of the elite safeties in the league? Especially when this year's draft is a good one for teams in need of a wide receiver.

• Like 1

Can’t see Pittsburgh trading for or paying Adams. In fairness, I said the same last year with Fitzpatrick. But are they going to pay them both top safety money? And Watt over $20M? And pay Dupree? It’s probably doable, especially with some contracts coming off the books in the next couple years (Ben, Hayward, Pouncey) but I’m not sure Pittsburgh is the team that’s going to dish out the top dollar for all those players.  

With how much cap space we have in the future, chances are that the Jets are going to give Adams a huge contract and retain him. I don't see us trading him.  Adams wants to stay in NY, and hes too important for our defense. They play so much better when hes on the field. 

I'll take my chances at landing a WR in this draft. 

3 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

BOB does not run the Jets. They are not trading Adams.

JJ Watt could be had, because BOB runs The Bill O'Brien Football franchise located in Harris County TX.

Trade for Watt, complete the set.

• Like 2

I read an article earlier suggesting the Steelers make this exact trade, so I dont think the Rambler came up with the idea.

However, it will never happen, for numerous reasons...

1) Adams is a quality young safety in a league that is pretty weak at safety.  Not smart to trade him unless there are irreconcilable differences.

2) Steelers traded a first for Minkah and foolishly used a first on Edmunds in 2018.  Edmunds has only shown minimal improvement, but we arent going to spend ANOTHER first on safety, especially when Minkah and Adams would be up for huge new contracts at the same time.

3)  A first AND Juju is too much for Adams.  Im not totally sold on Juju as a bonafide star WR, but he is, at worst, a good number 2.   Adams might be worth a first, but no way Id throw Juju in the trade.  Still really young and has shown elite abilty at times.

We need more help at safety, but Jamal Adams isnt the answer for us.

Edited by FourThreeMafia
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I read an article earlier suggesting the Steelers make this exact trade, so I dont think the Rambler came up with the idea.

I never claimed to have come up with this idealistic trade.  I probably read the same article you did, but it had me thinking of the possibilities.  

1) Adams is a quality young safety in a league that is pretty weak at safety.  Not smart to trade him unless there are irreconcilable differences.

That's exactly why Pittsburgh should think about trading for him.  Maybe he's not going to like the long term contract New York's going to offer.  

2) Steelers traded a first for Minkah and foolishly used a first on Edmunds in 2018.  Edmunds has only shown minimal improvement, but we arent going to spend ANOTHER first on safety, especially when Minkah and Adams would be up for huge new contracts at the same time.

Again, that only validates why it would be advantageous for Pittsburgh to cut Edmunds and trade for Jamal Adams.  Pittsburgh has seem to have done better in the lower rounds of the draft than the first round in recent years, so finding another good QB or WR in 2021 is a huge toss up.  Trading for Minkah Fitzpatrick was the biggest gamble Pittsburgh took in years, but it worked out for them.  I'm not saying that they shouldn't focus on talent they can find in the draft, but they should really start getting with the times and looking around the league for talent too (not just bargain bin signings either).  

3)  A first AND Juju is too much for Adams.  Im not totally sold on Juju as a bonafide star WR, but he is, at worst, a good number 2.   Adams might be worth a first, but no way Id throw Juju in the trade.  Still really young and has shown elite abilty at times.

We need more help at safety, but Jamal Adams isnt the answer for us.

No it's not.  

JuJu is one of those wideouts right now in which nobody can tell whether he's going to be great or he's going to slip.  He has the ability to play in the NFL, but I also think the sudden popularity and the brand he's sold in Pittsburgh has kind of gotten to him.  He's almost in the same situation as Baker Mayfield.  

For some, they'll argue that having mental distractions is a lot easier to overcome than simply not having what it takes to play in the NFL, but they also don't realize that those same distractions can actually ruin a career just as early.  

So, while being popular with the fans is good for him, Pittsburgh has had some incredibly ridiculous distractions in the last 3 years.  

I don't think giving up another 1st and JuJu is too much for Adams.  Not by any stretch.  To be as good as he is at just 24 is worth that.  Whether the pick is from the 1st round or the 7th, a pick is a pick.  

Has no bearing at all regarding how they're going to play in the NFL.  

The way both players are doing right now in their respective careers,  Jamal Adams might end up being a better safety than JuJu is a wideout. 

That's why this type of trade could work out for Pittsburgh.  

Edited by RamblinMan99

5 hours ago, RamblinMan99 said:

That's exactly why Pittsburgh should think about trading for him.  Maybe he's not going to like the long term contract New York's going to offer.  

I think 4-3's point was, why would the Jets trade away a good young safety at all when finding a good safety is hard to enough find? Who are they going to replace him with? They don't grow on trees.

Again, that only validates why it would be advantageous for Pittsburgh to cut Edmunds and trade for Jamal Adams.  Pittsburgh has seem to have done better in the lower rounds of the draft than the first round in recent years, so finding another good QB or WR in 2021 is a huge toss up.  Trading for Minkah Fitzpatrick was the biggest gamble Pittsburgh took in years, but it worked out for them.  I'm not saying that they shouldn't focus on talent they can find in the draft, but they should really start getting with the times and looking around the league for talent too (not just bargain bin signings either).

Again, I think you're missing his point (4-3 if I'm wrong here then let me know). 

They already gambled twice in the last 2 years by trading away a 1st round pick trying shore up the safety positions. Gambling again for a third in year in row is very unlikely. Especially when they have already seen one of them fail. 

And like 4-3 also pointed out, Adams is in a contract year and Fitzpatrick's contract ends 1 year later. BOTH of them are potentially going to be looking to get market setting contracts and PIT cannot afford to allocate that much money into the safety position  and nor should they or any other team for that matter.

No it's not.  

JuJu is one of those wideouts right now in which nobody can tell whether he's going to be great or he's going to slip.  He has the ability to play in the NFL, but I also think the sudden popularity and the brand he's sold in Pittsburgh has kind of gotten to him.  He's almost in the same situation as Baker Mayfield.  

For some, they'll argue that having mental distractions is a lot easier to overcome than simply not having what it takes to play in the NFL, but they also don't realize that those same distractions can actually ruin a career just as early.  

So, while being popular with the fans is good for him, Pittsburgh has had some incredibly ridiculous distractions in the last 3 years.  

None of what you just said has anything to do with the fact that trading away a 1st round pick AND a WR with a high ceiling like Juju for Adams would be ridiculously stupid. Especially considering all of the above. 

To be as good as he is at just 24 is worth that.  Whether the pick is from the 1st round or the 7th, a pick is a pick.  

Okay.........Bill O'Brian are you just trolling us now? Just come forward right now and admit it and stop playing games. And I mean that literally.

The way both players are doing right now in their respective careers,  Jamal Adams might end up being a better safety than JuJu is a wideout.

OR. Both players could end up being really good with their respective teams, and BOTH teams could find replacements for each position without having to give up anything and at a cheaper rate. 

Edited by JustAnotherFan
  • Like 1