Should Pittsburgh take a chance and pursue Jamal Adams?

RamblinMan99

23 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Steelers prefer to pay their own talent.     Hard to go big in FA when you dont have much to spend going into it.   Doesnt make them cheap.

Honestly, Im happy we dont spend big in FA.    Sometimes Id like to, but usually when I see the type of contracts certain players get, I feel better.    A lot of highly paid FAs dont live up to their contracts.   

That is exactly what I'm referring to when I say "cheap."

They came into this offseason with not even $2 million in cap space to work with.  That doesn't mean fiscally frugal.  

The do prefer to pay their own players, and it's outright stupid at times.  

It all depends on the player, but they have passed up an incredible amount of talent in the last 10 years because they didn't want to take a chance with somebody from the outside. 

They like to depend solely on the draft, and while Colbert specifically is a NFL draft genius, that kind of strategy is only going to take them so far.  

The draft is still just as important, but they will have to start making riskier movies within the league if they want to have any chance of making it to the Super Bowl. 

The trade for Minkah Fitzpatrick was the riskiest move I had seen them make in years, and they need to start doing more of those kinds of trades when the time is right.  

I wouldn't necessarily say that "a lot" of the free agents don't live up to the contracts either.  

It depends on the player and how the player works with the team.  It's just not that clear-cut.  

You can't make it look like Pittsburgh's got the right idea by not acquiring higher profile players from the free agency. 

That's exactly how you get into Pittsburgh's situation.  You sign the way they do and end up going 500 all because you wanted to play it safe.  

On 3/31/2020 at 4:23 PM, Ray Reed said:

Maybe he was talking strictly in terms of free agency spending on other teams’ free agents? Because it does appear that you guys are very much on the lower end of that every year: 

That's because the Steelers prefer using free agency to add depth and give themselves more flexibility in the draft. They'll go big in free agency or a trade once in a blue moon (Jerome Bettis, James Farrior, Troy Polamalu, Devin Bush, Minkah Fitzpatrick), but those occasions are exceptions to the rule. This off-season, they've used free agency to replace a FB and add competition at G and TE, so the only positions of need are WR and NT. Even with relatively few draft picks, they're not in a bad position, due in part to bolstering their roster in free agency.