(Post Yours) Mock Draft Simulator version COVID-19-stuck-in-the-house-and-bored-as-hell

JAF-N72EX

I know everyone is posting individual mocks so thought we could kill some time by playing around with this simulator and seeing what everyone comes up with.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/mockdraft/

I thought I would post it for those that don't know about it. You can trade draft picks from this year and 2021 and the computer even makes there own trades with each other to add a little more realism to it.

Have fun with it and post your own.

This is was my draft. It was not intentional that I chose 2 Clemson players, 2 Georgia players, and 2 Michigan players lol.....it just worked out that way.

I traded #50 to MIA for 70, 141, 153, 154, and a 2021 5th round pick.

UoZuQ0h.png

---Diggs was a surprise to me. I wasn't really planning on taking a CB this early but when I seen Diggs was still on the board I couldn't pass it up (and neither should Pace). We could be looking at another year where the defense is doing the heavy lifting so it's important to shore up the CB and S positions. Diggs is physical player like Prince was but with much better range and is actually a play-making ball hawk. Fuller is under contract for the next 3 years so having Diggs playing opposite of him for at least the next 3 years on a rookie deal would be a match made in heaven.

----Wilson was more of a BPA. Still a little raw for the Tackle position. He's strong as hell, and moves really well for his massive size. Would be a good fit for power scheme.

---Quartney Davis would give us that speed that we need at the WR position. He's not a sprinter but with his quick first step and the ability to see the field after the catch would give us the YAC yards that we desperately need. Doesn't give up on plays and has good body control. Needs to work on his hands.

---Oh boy, let the hate begin with this one. Stephen Sullivan is one of the picks I didn't really care for myself. It more about trying to fill a position of need at this point and there wasn't any good option out there. Beings that he is a WR turned TE LSU didn't really know how to use him. He's project player as a flex and doesn't offer much in the way of blocking. 

---The good in-the-box saftey for a Pagano built defense. Aggressive, hard hitting player with good closing speed. Will drop some easy INT's at times though. Wouldn't be asked to do too much while playing in a secondary with Jackson, Fuller, and *ahem* Diggs. 

---I almost chose Zach Moss (who I also like) but the more I watch James Robinson the more I'm starting to believe that he may be a late round steal. He's a hometown guy and At 5'10 220ish he is a do-it-all back which is something that this offense desperately needs. Enough of this crap with having one scat back who is good in the open field but can't move between tackles and another for short yardage back who is a strong runner but doesn't have the break away speed outside. it tips the hand too often. Have someone like Robinson who can keep the defenses guessing. 

---Unpopular opinion.......we need to stop with the Bars project. I know he is still young but his knee is shot and I'm afraid that by the time he does start to progress and is able to stay healthy he will become Long 2.0. It's time to let it go and bring in fresh blood. This is where prospects like Onwenu comes in at. At 6'3 362 he certainly knows how to use his massive body to dig in off the snap and against blitzing LBers. He is like trying to push a fully grown 125 year old oak tree. His only drawback to this is that he has a tough time holding blocks for very long. His footwork is spotty but his arm length and natural power help counter this a bit whenever he misses his first punch. 

---Kelly Bryant. With the extended roster going from 53-55 and the uncertainty at the QB position we can afford to still bring in a project player. Bryant will never be a starter but he is familiar with a Nagy style offense. 

---Brian Herrien. Another unpopular opinion incoming. The Ryan Nall project needs to also end. it's pretty clear by now that he is never going to workout. RB's have short life spans as it is and he will be 25 this year. Bring in someone else to keep on the shelf and mold. Herrian is only 22 years old and could turn into a solid 3rd down/GL back. 

---Jon Runyan Jr. For those young folks, his dad was a very solid O-lineman for years with Philly. Now I know not all apples fall close to the tree but with a bloodline like his.....I'm taking a chance on him. Especially with a 7th round pick.  

• Like 1

I legitimately don't understand how you get that draft thing to accept any trades. I tried paying double or even triple the pick's value in some cases and never got a pick accepted. 

Also, somewhat hilariously... The entire 2020 draft as well as our 2021 draft wasn't enough to trade up for Burrow xD

I'll play around with it more and see if i can't snag my ideal draft.

32 minutes ago, Epyon said:

I legitimately don't understand how you get that draft thing to accept any trades. I tried paying double or even triple the pick's value in some cases and never got a pick accepted. 

Also, somewhat hilariously... The entire 2020 draft as well as our 2021 draft wasn't enough to trade up for Burrow xD

I'll play around with it more and see if i can't snag my ideal draft.

I'm still trying to figure it myself but I'm pretty sure the algorithm is based off of the draft chart created by Rich Hill, plus not having enough picks to fill needs. The 2021 draft picks I assume are assuming that each pick is worth the same amount as a 16th pick in each round (just to keep things fair). Which would explain why you can't try and trade all of the draft picks in 2020 and 2021 to move up to the #1 to get Burrow.

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart-Rich-Hill.asp?RequestTeam=chi

Based on this idea, the Bengals have a total of 1,417 in total draft capital in 2020. The number one pick to get Burrow is worth 1,000 alone. 

The Bears only have 272 for this year and 518 next year.....that's a combination of 790 in total draft capital. 

Trust me, I tried to squeeze a 2021 4th round pick out of MIA in my trade and they wasn't haven't it. 

Edited by JustAnotherFan

Here’s what I got:

TRADES: 
5-B6-D03-F1-E04-C-43-E8-9-F92-82-FF273-E

1-B8580-EF-C36-B-4-AE9-AA85-6-A6-AB0-F9-

DRAFT:

3-E91118-E-6182-490-D-8-A20-90895303-D93

Way I see this, the top 2 play a lot for sure, Lemieux battles Ifedi to start at RG and has a great chance to win that battle IMO, Moss is our primary Y TE sooner than later, and the rest are depth/push guys for the incumbents. I think Turk would have a great chance to push O’Donnell off the roster too (only $100k dead money if O’Donnell were to be cut). 

Edited by AZBearsFan

Draft.png

CHI

Received:

• Pick 101 - Jacob Eason
SEA

Received:

• Pick 163 - Antonio Gandy-Golden
  • Pick 196 - Broderick Washington Jr.
  • 2021 CHI 3rd

Gross-Matos could develop into a hell of an EDGE, adding him behind Mack and Quinn sounds like a hellish trio to add to Hicks. 

Chinn is a physical specimen who excels in coverage and also has the size to develop into a solid run stuffer. EJax could stay as the roaming S and Chinn could stay more towards the LOS while still being a presence in the pass game. 

I have no faith in Tru and little in Foles. Let Flip develop Eason for the year. He may be able to beat Tru out in a fair battle this season. I'd have him compete in 2021 for the starting spot, at worst you get a solid #2 on a rookie salary for 3 more years. 

Adams starts at RG and may be able to kick to RT if he can stay healthy. If he stays healthy and remains inside he should be an above average OG for 10 years. 

Durant could start as a swing OT or play inside. Needs coached up but has the strength to handle NFL DL. 

Coe could fill in and play the McPhee role we used a few years ago. Bruiser with good COD for his size, he may be able to play OLB and then kick into 3T. Or if Mack and Gross-Matos are the starting OLBS then he can bulk up a bit more and start opposite of Hicks in a year. 

• Like 1

Denzel Mims
WR Baylor

Ezra Cleveland
OT Boise State

Antoine Brooks Jr.
S Maryland

Oluwole Betiku Jr.
DE Illinois

Cheyenne O’Grady
TE Arkansas

Shaquille Quarterman
ILB Miami

James Smith-Williams
DE NC State
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Denzel Mims
WR Baylor

Ezra Cleveland
OT Boise State

Antoine Brooks Jr.
S Maryland

Oluwole Betiku Jr.
DE Illinois

Cheyenne O’Grady
TE Arkansas

Shaquille Quarterman
ILB Miami

James Smith-Williams
DE NC State

I don't see any scenario where Mims is there for us at 43, but I'd run to podium and draft him if he was. 

I've even been looking at potential trade ups to go and get him in the 15-20 range (and get a 5th year option) . I think the kid is being overlooked via a loaded class, is a top 5 pick talent wise, and could very well be better than Allen Robinson. 

Grab Mims

Trade up early third and get Chase Claypool as a "big slot" /move TE. 

Trade up the mid - late third and get Antonio Gibson - RB/WR

That's 3x big dudes with blazing vertical (4.38, 4.39, and 4.42) speed, all over 6ft tall, and needed depth at WR, "TE", and Running back. I'd also add, all three having size would improve potential perimeter blocking options for wr screens. 

I'll work with the sim and see what I can come up with for that draft, and hopefully also get an OL, and a SS too

Edited by Epyon

First off, thanks for the link, that's a fun sim

I was desperate to get more picks in mine, and had a very few players earmarked in the second that would prevent a trade back, none were on the board at 43 so I traded that away to Buffalo.

50 Laviska Shennault WR.  Risky due to injury but seems like he'd give the Bears a YAC option for Foles or someone to toss to.  Really thought this guy would be off the board earlier even with concerns, happy to get another weapon. 

Wasn't a great mix of players on the board, so traded 54 away to move back again to the Titans next pick @ 61

61 OT Prince Wanogho OT. Big big man that has a lot to learn, ideally a depth guy to bring along but wouldn't surprise me to see him start due to injury or poor play from either right side OL

128 Jake Fromm QB  His projection from some analysts is "high end backup, think Chase Daniel" and this seems like a perfect place to get someone with that sort of floor, but I also feel like he might be the type of QB that Nagy could use to execute the offense as a starter. He is really unimpressive from a strength or mobility standpoint but if you were watching Nagy scheme guys open last year and thought "just need someone to see that and hit it!" this might be your guy.

163 JR Reed S.  His weaknesses and strengths both play to Eddie Jacksons, and while he's not going to be able to cover as much ground as HaHa! did, he could be better at cleanup in the middle of the field

167 Jonah Jackson G Seems like at worst a depth guy, but while he's not the most athletic he seems perfect for a team that just needed someone to make their blocks when running

174 Nevelle Clark CB  To me he seems like a good Prince replacement, not a big playmaker but good coverage skills to force throws to Fuller or Jackson 

193 TJ  Brunson ILB Little tough guy who's not that fast but still makes plays. Seems like a good Kwit replacement

200 Casey Toohill OLB Not a great pass rusher, but seems like he could spell Quinn and play more of a Floyd role if Pagano wants to blitz with Roquan or similar

224 Harrison Hand CB  Strictly a developmental guy. Played for Baylor so likely won't get confused as to which team he's supposed to be on. 

226 Nate Stanley QB Surprised to find him here, this means the end of Tyler Bray, and Trubisky gets traded to the Patriots and ends up having a great career

233 Justen Herron OT Give this guy a year in an NFL conditioning program and he could be a swing tackle

Trades were with for TEN's pick 54, receiving 61, 174, 224, and BUF's 43, getting 54, 128, 167

I feel like Shennault, Wanogho, Reed and Clark all had a decent shot at starting this year, and wouldn't find it crazy if Fromm can operate the offense enough to come in if we get both Foles' and Trubisky's floor in play. 

I have not yet figured out how Rosen factors in to all this. 

• Like 2

CHI 50.
Josh Jones
OT Houston

CHI 80.
Jeremy Chinn
S Southern Illinois
trade icon
CHI 81.
Jacob Eason
QB Washington
trade icon
CHI 159.
Khaleke Hudson
ILB Michigan
trade icon
CHI 163.
Stephen Sullivan
TE LSU

CHI 196.
Cordel Iwuagwu
G TCU

CHI 200.
Julian Blackmon
CB Utah

CHI 226.
Lamar Jackson
CB Nebraska

CHI 233.
Chapelle Russell
OLB Temple

This one involved a track back with the Raiders-who else-and got 3 picks for #43, and ended up with a player I wouldn't have minded at 43 anyway. 

ChiCity Draft

Please enjoy, I hope to hear some commentary and feedback!

PREFACE:

For the simulation, I used NFL Mock Draft Database for my draft. When considering trade downs, I felt that a ~10% haircut would be required as I think teams might have less conviction to trade up do to COVID (then again, they may really want the prospects they do know / did meet so its double edged). Either way, I took a haircut on all trades for conservatism. Also, I do not have my own big board so I relied on their website for valuing players. That means there might be some folks you love who fell further than expected or went earlier. I have opinions on certain guys based on what I have read but am no expert and defer to my LIMITED knowledge, my scouts (the draft network profiles) and the big board on the mock simulator's website. The draft is a crapshoot so please dont get too hung up on specific names - if you dont like my player but like another at the same position, I consider that to be largely the same thing.  

ROSTER COMMENTARY, PRE-DRAFT:

My belief is that Foles will start. While I don't love giving up a 4th, I think he is a good fit and gives us a chance to see our O. I doubt it but could see how it forces Mitch to grow. I also buy the shortened training camp argument. To be successful Foles needs protection and weapons so I plan to spend all early draft capital in support of the offense. However, I don't want to over commit to Foles especially since both the Bears and Foles have outs at the end of 2020 in his contract. So I also want a QB. As Pace, I like to double dip at positions of big need. Lack of competent QB play and TE play killed Nagy's ability to run the Nagy offense last year. I fear Mitch starting after what happened last year unless it has clicked for him. Foles has an injury history as does Mitch so adding a young player would be enticing. I would love to get a guy like Hurts or Fromm if I can trade down in R2 and would be over the moon to land one of them in R3.  

Like I said, Foles needs high-end weapons and decent blocking to be productive. Thus, our top need is a playmaker(s) at WR and/or TE for Foles. TE Graham is fine to start so I dont NEED to draft a TE but I will if the board falls right. I actually LOVE my WR room, when healthy. Robinson is nearly elite and I have a lot of hope for Miller to become a star in the slot. Ridley and Wims are also players I think can be excellent 3rd and 4th options. But I just don't have a player who can play outside and stretch the field and Miller has injury concerns. Because of that, I want to add to this talented room.

As mentioned, Foles needs enough protection for those quick hitters and RPOs. Now maybe our poor OL play will be fixed when Foles makes better RPO calls but who knows. We need some players who can provide depth to our OL. I am happy with Ifati as a swing tackle or in an OG competition and I like Coward to compete with him at OG. I would love to get a clear starter at OG and I will upgrade the right side of the OL if I can.

On defense, we are set in the front 7. I cannot wait to see our front 5 rush and Smith and Danny T are, when healthy, among the best LB duos. I am happy in the slot with CBs Skrine and Shelley. S is in good shape with Bush getting his real starting shot next to Jackson and DHC and Lucas are playable backups. CB is a question mark. CB Toliver is interesting but unproven at best. We invested in a great CFL player but that could easily fall flat (see Mincy). CB Burns is another boom or bust option. I do have hope here that one player pans out. However, CB is the number one place I would add talent on D. Then, I would consider adding some depth at ILB, given Danny T's injury history, and I would consider a S if the value was right.

Lastly, I would take a Kicker at the end of the draft if value was there. 

TOP 10 NEEDS

1. WR with deep speed 

2. OG starter / competition

3. QB depth / developmental

4. another playmaker on O (TE, WR, maybe RB)

5. OT depth

6. CB2 competition

7. backup ILB 

8. backup S

9. backup OLB

10. K

--- ON TO THE DRAFT ---

Pick #43 (470 pts) to SEA for #59, #101 & #144 (440 pts)                               note: lost point value equal to R5, pick 3

On the board are players like WR Tee Higgins, QB Jordan Love and OT Nucas Niang and OG Biadasz. I thought long and hard about Jordan Love but felt that we need to give our O weapons first and foremost. WR Higgens, while a great value, isn't the explosive Desean Jackson / Tyreek Hill type WR worth splurging on.WRs  Aiyuk and Hamler both also on the board and I like either. While Love would be exciting at 43, Hurts, Fromm and Eason also are on the board. Niang seems like a great pick also but I am not sure he will be a Week 1 starter in the place of our very servicable OTs - we need Week 1 impact to go OL this early. Since Cushenberry is gone, OG Biadasz would be that week 1 starter but hope out hope someone like Bars or Ifati can be Servicable week 1. Its also hard to pick a OG again in R2. I hope to land one later. Thus, I pull trigger on a trade. I am hopeful OG Biadasz or Niang will be available at #50. Unfortunately in the trade, Seattle trades up to get Licas Niang.

Pick #50 (400 pts) to MIA for # 56 & #141 (376 pts)                                       note: lost point value equal to R5, pick ~20

OG Biadasz gets taken one pick before us at #49 by the Steelers and WR Higgens was gone at #44. Shucks. QB Love is still on the board but I still want a weapon for the offense. I am considering RB Dobbins and dream of the impact he might have but I generally don't like a RB this early. Looking at speed WR, I don't consider WR Aiyuk and WR Hamler to be that different prospect wise despite Aiyuk's superior height so I take the gamble one of them will be available later in the round. I note that even this pick would be good value for Aiyuk according to the big board and pray I dont regret this. Since I want to add a lot of new talent to the room on O, we trade with Miami.     

Pick #56 TE Cole Kmet 

I have traded down 2x and still Love is there. I cannot do it. My scouts (thedraftnetwork.com profiles) tell me his vision, accuracy and decision making are problems. I would be similarly excited about QB Eason and QBs Fromm or Hurts are honestly better fits in Nagy's O. I would consider any of those 3 late round 2 but I am not ready to pull the trigger. I also have interest in Gordon and Morgan in R4 where I now have two picks. With so many options at the position and my lack of conviction, QB must wait. The pick comes down to WRs Aiyuk and Hamler or TE Kmet. If I go TE now, I hope a WR will be there at #59 despite my scouts having WR Aiyuk ranked above the other two. 

Pick #59 WR Brandon Aiyuk

This is lucky. Board falls my way and I get to pick between Hamler and Aiyuk. I worry about both players ability to get off of press coverage and ultimately go with the slightly larger Aiyuk. All of the sudden, we have weapons for Foles.

Pick #101 QB Jake Fromm

IOLs Jonah Jackson and Ben Bredeson are on the board and I think about how adding them here to really boost my chances in 2020. However, I worry about Mitch running the offense if Foles goes down. QB is THE most important position. I do give a thought to waiting and taking QBs Gordon or Morgan in R4. However, we want to win this year and Fromm could probably spot start Y1 given he is a low ceiling / high floor prospect. A R3 or R4 QB doesnt stop me from drafting a QB in 2021 either and gives me some leverage against Foles in the offseason too. Fromm is a FANTASTIC R3 pick and I run his name to the podium (virtually, of course). 

Pick #141 OT Saahdiq Charles

With the first of two 4th round picks, I need to decide between adding to the OL or adding to one of my DB competitions. My board shows Ss Burgess and Brooks, CBs Green and Hand or OT Charles at positions of interest. I am ready to go all-in on Nagy's O thinking he could fill in at either OT or OG in a pinch. I'll grab some DBs later. 

Pick #144 CB Harrison Hand

Great news! All three DBs I was considering are still on the board. I go with the CB instead of a S because of the confidence I have in Bush to start and DHC. I pick CB Hand because my scouts think he fits well in press coverage and I envision him doing what Prince did with Jackson playing ballhawk over the top.  

Pick #164 LB Davion Taylor

At this point, I am drafting off my board making sure not to reach. My board doesn't have any great value plays so I grab a guy at a position of need around where my board values him. Danny T has not made it through a full season in a long time so the chances a backup LB sees the field is high. Unlike CB or S, the drop off in talent between starters and backups in my LB room is very high.

Pick #197 S L'Jarius Sneed

My board likes this S as the best value and it happens to be a position where we would like to make an investment but have not. Great fit! No OGs though :(

Pick #201 OLB Derrek Tuszka

I wanted a IOL here but no luck. I take a BPA at an important position instead. I resign to believing that our problems on the Oline were probably related to Mitch's inability to get a lined up right and transitions at C. My lack of signings at the position in FA support this belief. In addition, I don't have great depth at OLB so this is hardly a waste. Still, wishing the board fell differently.

Pick #210 RB Elijah Mitchell

BPA and I considered adding a RB who can share the load if Montgomery goes down at each of the prior two picks. Since my board still doesnt like the value of a OG, I take the BPA

Pick #234  WR Juan Jennings

Plenty of WR, RB and LB available at this point in the draft. Makes me wish I reached on a OG earlier but some combo of Ifati, Bars, Coward and OT draft pick Charles will need to win the job for this season. I deviate from my board to take a name that was pretty productive this year and someone I have watched play. He is a bigger physical guy in the mold of Wims who I had hoped would step up this past year. May the best two players be rostered between Jennings, Wims and Ridley. I expect Wims and Ridley to win but this provides some insurance for the strength of my last WR spot. 

DRAFT SUMMARY

R1: --

R2: TE Kmet, WR Aiyuk

R3: QB Fromm

R4: OT Charles, CB Hand

R5: LB Taylor

R6: S Sneed, OLB Tuszka

R7: RB Mitchell, WR Jennings

In review, I took a value haircut to trade down. Viewed in points, I lost ~55 points which is equal to mid-R4 draft selection. That hurts. However, I felt like I needed to plug quite a bit of new talent into my roster and the trades gave me 3 depth pieces who can help me win in 2020 and beyond. Injuries and disappointment happens on every roster annually and I needed some insurance. I also didn't get the OG depth I wanted but I did add an OT. Not ideal but, we could attempt to move him to OG, if needed. 

Going into 2020's season: As Pace, I made big moves to fix our offense's key problems: production at TE and QB. I was able to address these two shortcomings with vets and with day 2 rookies. That combination is a good solution. In addition, I added a WR with the straight line speed my offense lacked and some depth pieces at CB, S, and OG that can push the vets I hope will start Week 1. 

Edited by ChiCity
  • Like 1

Ha!  I don't even know who most of these guys are.  I just kept trading down and accumulating picks.   I took players that scouts thought had really high ceilings and filled poor depth areas for Bears and just took as many bites at apple as I could.  

Maybe you guys could break down my draft class for me.

Ross Blacklock

DT  TCU

Cole Kmet

TE  Notre Dame

Tyler Biadasz

C  Wisconsin

Michael Ojemudia

CB  Iowa

Logan Stenberg

G  Kentucky

Shaun Bradley

ILB  Temple

Hakeem Adeniji

OT  Kansas

Cheyenne O’Grady

TE  Arkansas

Bravvion Roy

DT  Baylor

Malcolm Perry

RB  Navy

Derrek Tuszka

DE  North Dakota State

Welp.... it cost me rounds 2-4 of the 2021 draft but I got:

43 AJ Terrell-CB

50 Josh Jones-LT

63 Isaiah Wilson-RT

106 Chase Claypool-WR

120 Antonio Gibson-WR/RB

200 Micheal Onwenu-RG

226. Justin Strnad- ILB (ST)

233. Calvin Throckmorton-C (good lord has this guy fallen)

Starting corner, competition for LT, RT, and 2 OGs..... an athletic freak that would be placed as a "move TE" (Claypool), offensive weapon in Gibson that can hit home runs as either a RB or a WR (and gives us leverage to move on from Cohen shorter term or even Patterson longer term), depth at ILB with a "try hard" guy, and then a flyer on an OL prospect who's stock has fallen off a cliff, but was arguably on the single strongest OL this collegiate season.  I'd add that every person on that OL save Throckmorton was known as a "people mover" in the run game.

I'd add that Jonathan Taylor-RB was also available at pick 43, and I debated VERY hard about taking him.... I'm not sold on Monty at all.   I'd also add that Trautman-TE was available well past his positional ranking to after where I took Claypool and I was tempted.... The guy's 40 time sucked, but he had an elite level 3 cone.

Edited by Epyon
  • Like 1