(Post Yours) Mock Draft Simulator version COVID-19-stuck-in-the-house-and-bored-as-hell

JAF-N72EX

Not a player when it comes to this stuff but so far the mocks that are out there seem to be split pretty evenly between CB, SS, OT, OG, and WR in round two with a few still thinking TE but I don't think so.  Not with as many as we have already and the investments we have in Burton and Graham.  One or both will need to carry the water this year.

• Like 2

I kinda feel bad for our draft picks.  2nd rounders because they are our first picks are going to have expectations of high first rounders.

Teams will draft like 9 players with 4 in first 3 rounds and still come away with just a couple of decent or good players.   

If we can pull off one good player and a couple of serviceable ones it will have been a good day.

• Like 1

Pace really needs a good young OT in draft.  It won’t help us in 2020, but the Bears sorely need it going forward.

If he doesn’t do it this year he is going to have to pay through nose in free agency because they are getting rarer and rarer.  You need to just start drafting guys and hope you land one.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I kinda feel bad for our draft picks.  2nd rounders because they are our first picks are going to have expectations of high first rounders.

Teams will draft like 9 players with 4 in first 3 rounds and still come away with just a couple of decent or good players.   

If we can pull off one good player and a couple of serviceable ones it will have been a good day.

I dunno.....I'm not sure we shouldn't have high expectations of 2nd round picks.  Those guys should be able to contribute at some level as rookies and in many cases start albeit with some expectations that won't play as well or as consistently as more experienced vets.

We need young talent to at least come in and offer strong competition for starting spots that are open.  For that reason alone I would decline to spend a 2nd round pick on any position that will take two or more years to develop like TE or even OT.  In this draft I would stick with positions where a rookie has a reasonable shot at starting which to me would be positions like OG, SS, CB and even WR.

33 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Pace really needs a good young OT in draft.  It won’t help us in 2020, but the Bears sorely need it going forward.

If he doesn’t do it this year he is going to have to pay through nose in free agency because they are getting rarer and rarer.  You need to just start drafting guys and hope you land one.

I would agree but hopefully not in the 2nd round unless it's a guy with a 1st round grade who somehow fell into our laps and I don't see that happening in this draft.  The mocks have several 1st round OTs being taken pretty early.

Since we won't use a young OT for at least one more year if not two why not load up on a couple in the later rounds and much like with Leno hope we get lucky.  For a guy who was a 7th round pick he's at least been dependable and serviceable as a LT.

19 minutes ago, soulman said:

I would agree but hopefully not in the 2nd round unless it's a guy with a 1st round grade who somehow fell into our laps and I don't see that happening in this draft.  The mocks have several 1st round OTs being taken pretty early.

Since we won't use a young OT for at least one more year if not two why not load up on a couple in the later rounds and much like with Leno hope we get lucky.  For a guy who was a 7th round pick he's at least been dependable and serviceable as a LT.

I dunno. Massie was pretty bad all around last year, a decent rookie year might outperform him. And if he is a guy who needs to work on conditioning he may be able to kick in at RG for the first year and then kick out. Upgrading from what Long was last year can't be a big request. I don't see why he wouldn't be used immediately. 

I'm not opposed to taking multiple swings on the OL at all, I'm actually a proponent for it. But if you think you have a solid OT in the 2nd then I don't see why you would pass that up for anything outside of QB, EDGE, or CB. To me it's one of the top 4 positions in the game and we are lacking at it. We actually are under-talented on all except EDGE right now IMO. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I dunno. Massie was pretty bad all around last year, a decent rookie year might outperform him. And if he is a guy who needs to work on conditioning he may be able to kick in at RG for the first year and then kick out. Upgrading from what Long was last year can't be a big request. I don't see why he wouldn't be used immediately. 

I'm not opposed to taking multiple swings on the OL at all, I'm actually a proponent for it. But if you think you have a solid OT in the 2nd then I don't see why you would pass that up for anything outside of QB, EDGE, or CB. To me it's one of the top 4 positions in the game and we are lacking at it. We actually are under-talented on all except EDGE right now IMO. 

The analytics say different.  There were some break downs in pass pro at times but for the most part the real issues seemed to be more inside with both the run game and in picking up blitz's and stunts.  Massie's play prior to his injury was not worse than average which is about all he's ever been capable of.  But to believe a rookie draft pick will replace him is awfully optimistic in my book.

Signing Ifedi to replace someone we lost like Lucas was also a sign that they're unsure of how much more then can expect from Coward at either OG or OT and for the most part he has far more game experience than a rookie would have.  We aren't gonna get one of the top 3 or 4 OTs in this draft and if we draft an OT early I would think we'd be more like to look for one who can play LT like Cleveland.

I also disagree that replacing Long will be easy.  If nothing else we all saw last year just how tough it was.  He was a key to the run game and his loss was huge.  It's been said before and bears repeating that this team depends more on above average play from it's interior OL than from it OTs so finding an adequate replacement for long should be higher on our list than speculating on a rookie OT.  JMHO

We're able to find top interior OL prospects in round two but seldom will any team find a plug and play starter at OT in round two.  I'm not advocating we ignore and obvious need at OT but rather that our priorities this year with the only two higher picks we have should be at positions where we need the most immediate help and OT isn't one of them.  Leno and Massie are both locks to start this year.

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

@soulman

If it generally takes at least a year before you are worth anything then you need to start that year before the player is really needed to play.

If you run the simulators you get two pretty solid talents if you stick, but you get a lot more bites at apple by trading down.

Depends how much you trust your evals on the the top two picks I guess.  If you think there is a high chance they will be a stud then you stick if you think it is a coin flip then you trade down.

I've spent an afternoon on the phones, and pretty sure I accidentally muttered "******* Bengals!" at one point due to trying to double-task, but here's the result. You can't say I didn't try to fix the O Line.

CHI 53.
Jaylon Johnson
CB Utah
trade icon
CHI 79.
Jacob Eason
QB Washington
trade icon
CHI 103.
Matt Peart
OT UConn
trade icon
CHI 120.
Hunter Bryant
TE Washington
trade icon
CHI 158.
Netane Muti
G Fresno State
trade icon
CHI 163.
Antoine Brooks Jr.
S Maryland

CHI 196.
Colton McKivitz
OT WVU

CHI 226.
Calvin Throckmorton
C Oregon

CHI 233.
Malcolm Perry
RB Navy
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

I've spent an afternoon on the phones, and pretty sure I accidentally muttered "******* Bengals!" at one point due to trying to double-task, but here's the result. You can't say I didn't try to fix the O Line.

CHI 53.
Jaylon Johnson
CB Utah
trade icon
CHI 79.
Jacob Eason
QB Washington
trade icon
CHI 103.
Matt Peart
OT UConn
trade icon
CHI 120.
Hunter Bryant
TE Washington
trade icon
CHI 158.
Netane Muti
G Fresno State
trade icon
CHI 163.
Antoine Brooks Jr.
S Maryland

CHI 196.
Colton McKivitz
OT WVU

CHI 226.
Calvin Throckmorton
C Oregon

CHI 233.
Malcolm Perry
RB Navy

I wouldn't be mad at all with this except Eason could be replaced with an EDGE. Still not with him though.

22 hours ago, dll2000 said:

@soulman

If it generally takes at least a year before you are worth anything then you need to start that year before the player is really needed to play.

At certain position I'd agree.  But not all positions.  Hell teams are even starting rookies at QB these days when in days of yore that was often a 2-3 process.

An OG/OC  taken in round two should be able to contribute this year but I would be hesitant to say the same about an OT.  TE is also a position in this offense that has so much complexity it would be tough to see a rookie being able to offer much this year.

So I stand by my previous post that I would be far more hesitant to spend a 2nd round pick on an OT vs and OG unless there was something about that OT that makes him a can't miss prospect.  I also don't buy into that old saw that teams can find decent interior OL later in the draft so they draft OTs higher.  That has not been the case for many years because far too many team now employ very good inside rushers OGs and OCs need to handle in order to keep the pocket clean.  We actually rate our need for OGs higher than OTs.

I would be hesitant to do more than trade down with the #50 pick.  I'm no draft guru but I can see anywhere from 3 to 4 players we might take at #43 who may not be available at #50.  These are all guys who rank anywhere from the high 30s to around #50.  OL in particular are usually in demand early in round two so IMHO if one we really like is on the board at #43 I'd take him and not risk losing him.

Conversely there seems to be enough depth at a few others spots that trading down with #50 to pick up a 3rd round pick might actually be in our best interest.  We still get a CB, SS, or WR we like and we now have a 3rd round pick again.  More bites at the apple is good provided the apples are just as tasty in the middle of the barrel as they are on top.

I think I've gotten the best draft (or nearly) I can make... TONS of trading down, but no future picks given up this time

43  LT Josh Jones Leno's replacement

70 TE Adam Trautman (I was trying to position myself for RT Isaiah Wilson, but he went pick 69)... At any rate his elite 3cone time gives me hope he's a better small school Adam TE than our last failure

92. WR Chase Claypool   Size Speed freak

180. DT Khalil Davis    Shrine game standout and the #1 passrushing defensive lineman in colelge this year

196 OG Micheal Onwenu   MASSIVE mauling OG option. I'd pencil him as a starter already

204 CB/S L'Jarius Sneed.....  He started as a corner, moved to Safety his last 2 years... Ball skills, ELITE athleticism. I'd probably have him in more coverage roles than SS roles.

212 OT Yasir Durant.... He played LT in college, but also had experience at G. High ceiling guy who needs to develop a bit. Ideally a future RT, but OL depth at least. It was either him or Trey Adams-OT.... Adams is quit solid from a technical point of view and "safer" in that aspect, but his injury history is the stuff of nightmares so I went for upside on coachability without the injury concerns with Durant.

If I was to attempt any trades to improve this draft.... I'd have gotten isaiah wilson-RT over trautman (he went 1 pick before) and I'd flip a third from 2021 to go and get Antonio Gibson-WR/RB ~ pick 100-110. 

Overall theme was hammering the offense with weapons and especially in the trenches...

• Like 3