(Post Yours) Mock Draft Simulator version COVID-19-stuck-in-the-house-and-bored-as-hell

JAF-N72EX

38 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I'm reluctant based on what I've seen. He better beef up a bit without losing that first step and work with his hands because he isn't going to get away with just relying his feet at the NFL level.

Over the years we have seen how these sprinters at the combine have turned out and it's not good for WR's. Ross, Mathis, Ford, Nelson, DHB, Dude that played for Pitt (forget his name), 

Ruggs has excellent hands. See 0:32, 0:51, 1:07, 1:25, 3:42.

Don’t just take it from the video though - here’s what the scouting reports say:

NFL.com: Soft, reliable hands catch it inside and outside the frame.

TDN-Solak: Hands: Soft mittens. Catches naturally in stride and isn't perturbed by high-velocity balls outside of his frame. Flashes hands late and aggressively to balls that are at his full extension and quickly transitions to a runner. Able to attack balls at the highest point while elevating and has plus technique to avoid body-catching habits when working back to the football. It's just easy for him, man.

TDN-Marino: Isn’t just a fast guy - football skills are absolutely present at a high level. Features outstanding body control and ball skills that make him effective in contested situations.

TDN-Harris: He demonstrates excellent competes by making contested catches in critical moments in the game.

TDN-Crabbs: Hands - Soft hands and is a natural receiver in both targets square to the LOS but also over the shoulder. Good concentration and surprising hand strength in traffic to squeeze the ball and has made some really tough catches in tight quarters. Not a body catcher, either — gets the nose of the ball clean.

I’m not sure why he’d need to bulk up either - his size is fine. He’s 5-11 188lb. Tyreek Hill is 5-10 185. Stefon Diggs is 6-0 191. Brandin Cooks is 5-10 183. OBJ is 5-11 198. Desean Jackson is 5-10 175. Tyler Lockett is 5-10 182. 

32 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Over the years we have seen how these sprinters at the combine have turned out and it's not good for WR's. Ross, Mathis, Ford, Nelson, DHB, Dude that played for Pitt (forget his name), 

Mike Wallace ? He started out pretty good but then AB showed up. Wallace expected a big contract extension & turned down the Steelers offer, holding out for more, so the Steelers turned around & gave the contract to AB instead lol & that was the end of 60 Minutes in Pittsburgh! 😂😂😂

35 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m not sure why he’d need to bulk up either - his size is fine. He’s 5-11 188lb. Tyreek Hill is 5-10 185. Stefon Diggs is 6-0 191. Brandin Cooks is 5-10 183. OBJ is 5-11 198. Desean Jackson is 5-10 175. Tyler Lockett is 5-10 182. 

There's a big difference between those guys. All height and weight are not the same for every player. Nor is how they use their weight and height. Some players have bigger frames and "play bigger" than they really are.   

And I wasn't talking about hands as in catching. I'm talking about the ability to fight off defenders to create separation. The ability to play smart foot ball and have the wherewithal to switch hands when he needs to keeping the ball away from the defender to avoid a strip fumble.  

30 minutes ago, Trubiskytime said:

Mike Wallace ? He started out pretty good but then AB showed up. Wallace expected a big contract extension & turned down the Steelers offer, holding out for more, so the Steelers turned around & gave the contract to AB instead lol & that was the end of 60 Minutes in Pittsburgh! 😂😂😂

No, I wasn't talking about Wallace.

Edited by JustAnotherFan

20 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

And I wasn't talking about hands as in catching. I'm talking about the ability to fight off defenders to create separation. The ability to play smart foot ball and have the wherewithal to switch hands when he needs to keeping the ball away from the defender to avoid a strip fumble.  

Everything I’ve read about Ruggs’ release is that he gets off the line really well. He’s not going to win hand fights like a 6-3 220 WR is but that’s not his game and he gets plenty of separation, so that’s fine.

I’m not worried about Ruggs being “a fumbler” either. He had 1 fumble last year in 15 games, and 3 in 2018. 2 fumbles per season is pretty par for the course. Jerry Rice had 9 seasons with 2 or more fumbles. Tyreek Hill fumbled 6 times his first 2 years. In the 5 seasons where OBJ played 10+ games he’s fumbled 2+ times in 3 of them. Julio Jones fumbled 2+ times 4 of 9 seasons. I’m good. 

On 4/7/2020 at 11:28 PM, JustAnotherFan said:

I'm reluctant based on what I've seen. He better beef up a bit without losing that first step and work with his hands because he isn't going to get away with just relying his feet at the NFL level.

True, but anyone would still run to podium if you could get him at 43 which you can't.  He will go in first round no doubt without a scandal or injury.   Tyreek Hill somewhat of a sleeper who also got into serious trouble at a bad time for it.  If he went to Bama with no trouble he would have been a first round pick.

Nobody passes on elite speed from a big time University.  Nobody.  John Ross would still get drafted in first round were he to be in draft this year (and not knowing future or past in this case).  Ross also showed good soft hands in college.    So would Kevin White at 6'3 and 4.3.    He would seem exact answer for Bears need this year, size and elite speed.   

But this is what I am talking about up thread.  You don't really know who is going to be Hill and who is going to be John Ross.   Who is going to be Hopkins and who is going to Charles Rodgers or Kevin White.   You can say you do, but the high bust rate says otherwise.  The elite athletes will still go early.  

Take an OL - unless for some crazy reason Ruggs is there.  Then take him.  He would be the first round slipping exception category.  Even if he is in a scandal.  Just take him (within reason).

CHI 60.
Kyle Dugger
S Lenoir Rhyne
trade icon
CHI 68.
Jalen Hurts
QB Oklahoma
trade icon
CHI 93.
Prince Tega Wanogho
OT Auburn
trade icon
CHI 120.
Van Jefferson
WR Florida
trade icon
CHI 158.
Thaddeus Moss
TE LSU
trade icon
CHI 191.
L'Jarius Sneed
CB Louisiana Tech
trade icon
CHI 211.
Josiah Scott
CB Michigan State
trade icon
CHI 226.
Calvin Throckmorton
C Oregon

CHI 233.
D.J. Wonnum
DE South Carolina

These shall continue until either the current crisis has passed or the actual draft happens, whichever comes first

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:
CHI 60.
Kyle Dugger
S Lenoir Rhyne
trade icon
CHI 68.
Jalen Hurts
QB Oklahoma
trade icon
CHI 93.
Prince Tega Wanogho
OT Auburn
trade icon
CHI 120.
Van Jefferson
WR Florida
trade icon
CHI 158.
Thaddeus Moss
TE LSU
trade icon
CHI 191.
L'Jarius Sneed
CB Louisiana Tech
trade icon
CHI 211.
Josiah Scott
CB Michigan State
trade icon
CHI 226.
Calvin Throckmorton
C Oregon

CHI 233.
D.J. Wonnum
DE South Carolina

These shall continue until either the current crisis has passed or the actual draft happens, whichever comes first

People are going to lose their minds if Pace drafts a S from a school no one has heard of and he busts.

10 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

People are going to lose their minds if Pace drafts a S from a school no one has heard of and he busts.

We're all planning on losing our minds over SOMETHING Pace does, right?

I know he's small school but this guy looks like he can play, he's fast and tough.  While he hasn't really played against high end competition, all the things he's not good at-yet-are the things that Eddie Jackson does so well.  This guy looks like he play the Amos role now, and might develop into someone who can do Jackson's role eventually.  I really think he's going to be good and I would be happy with value after trading to 60. It feels weird to draft a box safety with your first pick, but I really believe in this guy and feel he could play a role. 

Edited by RunningVaccs
Because I went out for him, guaranteed bust

2 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

We're all planning on losing our minds over SOMETHING Pace does, right?

I know he's small school but this guy looks like he can play, he's fast and tough.  While he hasn't really played against high end competition, all the things he's not good at-yet-are the things that Eddie Jackson does so well.  This guy looks like he play the Amos role now, and might develop into someone who can do Jackson's role eventually.  I really think he's going to be good and I would be happy with value after trading to 60. It feels weird to draft a box safety with your first pick, but I really believe in this guy and feel he could play a role. 

When you just stand pat and make your first two picks you get pretty good players, but then you have to sit and watch like a 1000 names come off board before you get to pick again.

Doing mock drafts last year was like that, except it was before you got to pick at all.  

Be nice at this time of year when we have actual full slate of draft picks again.

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

When you just stand pat and make your first two picks you get pretty good players, but then you have to sit and watch like a 1000 names come off board before you get to pick again.

Doing mock drafts last year was like that, except it was before you got to pick at all.  

Be nice at this time of year when we have actual full slate of draft picks again.

I've done a lot of these, and this was one of the situations where all the players I like were terrible need fits; as in we don't really want a handful of great running backs and some inside linebackers, so I've been happy to trade down. 

It will be a much more interesting off season once the Bears have a normal quiver for sure.  The real question is will Pace be making picks next year? 

22 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

The real question is will Pace be making picks next year? 

My initial thought is anything less than a disaster brings him back.  I think Bears are generally pleased with him at this point and fans are always quicker to fire people than Bears are.  They like his style, management and personality and who wants to pay multiple people for same job?  

If they win 3 or 4 games or are getting blown out at end of season all bets are off of course as they always are.  But that kind of record would take a lot of injuries to defense.

I guess as I think about it its also possible if both Foles and MT wet the bed in 2020 and they need to draft a new QB in 2021 that could also get him fired even if Bears are .500 or better.   Argument will be do you want Pace making that monumental pick after Glennon, MT and a now failed Foles?    It would be a compelling argument.  

If Foles looks like a decent bridge player and Bears have a decent year then Pace probably stays and gets to pick a new young QB.  If MT wins job and plays well and Bears do good then MT probably gets tagged - and Pace probably stays.

If Foles wins job and Bears are bad as a result of his poor QB play then Pace is probably gone because that will be reset time at QB and he will be the architect of a failed regime.   

• Like 1

CHI 64.
Kyle Dugger
S Lenoir Rhyne
trade icon
CHI 80.
Lloyd Cushenberry
C LSU
trade icon
CHI 87.
Rashard Lawrence
DT LSU
trade icon
CHI 101.
Van Jefferson
WR Florida
trade icon
CHI 108.
Cameron Dantzler
CB Mississippi State
trade icon
CHI 144.
Shaun Bradley
ILB Temple
trade icon
CHI 226.
Justin Herron
OT Wake Forest

CHI 233.
Braden Mann
P Texas A&M

I love the first 5 picks, all positions of need and good value. Lawrence is smart and another guy Hicks could coach up.

Dantzler is long and comfortable playing press man. Not the strongest, not the fastest but provides competition where it's needed.

Bradley has physical upside and ILB depth is thin.

• Like 2

On 4/8/2020 at 10:51 PM, AZBearsFan said:

Everything I’ve read about Ruggs’ release is that he gets off the line really well. He’s not going to win hand fights like a 6-3 220 WR is but that’s not his game and he gets plenty of separation, so that’s fine.

I’m not worried about Ruggs being “a fumbler” either. He had 1 fumble last year in 15 games, and 3 in 2018. 2 fumbles per season is pretty par for the course. Jerry Rice had 9 seasons with 2 or more fumbles. Tyreek Hill fumbled 6 times his first 2 years. In the 5 seasons where OBJ played 10+ games he’s fumbled 2+ times in 3 of them. Julio Jones fumbled 2+ times 4 of 9 seasons. I’m good. 

Oh hell yeah -- he gets off the line very well. He has a very quick first step and doesn't let his feet get too wide or short off the snap. Good feet and body control. For this reason, he would be excellent in a scheme that would allow him to better utilize this with more double-moves -- either off the snap or downfield. 

I keep saying it (not here but...), he would be a great fit for Siranni (Indy) offense who LOVES to uses those type of WR combo schemes. In fact, and coincidentally, I compare his ceiling to Ty Hilton. 

That said, he struggles to fight off physical corners who can push him off his routes fairly easily.which is why I don't think he's fit for a timing based route scheme like Nagy's. 

As far as fumbles and mentality, I don't look at college numbers. I'm talking about mistakes he made while running with the ball. Go back and watch his games. Hell, even his highlight video that you posted.

As a player you are always taught to always keep yourself between the defender and the ball while running and you will see that he does not did do this. This won't fly at the NFL level. Players are faster, stronger, and smarter. And too many players nowadays are looking to strip the ball at any opportunity, and Peanut was the sponsor for this.

12 hours ago, dll2000 said:

True, but anyone would still run to podium if you could get him at 43 which you can't.  He will go in first round no doubt without a scandal or injury.   Tyreek Hill somewhat of a sleeper who also got into serious trouble at a bad time for it.  If he went to Bama with no trouble he would have been a first round pick.

Nobody passes on elite speed from a big time University.  Nobody.  John Ross would still get drafted in first round were he to be in draft this year (and not knowing future or past in this case).  Ross also showed good soft hands in college.    So would Kevin White at 6'3 and 4.3.    He would seem exact answer for Bears need this year, size and elite speed.   

But this is what I am talking about up thread.  You don't really know who is going to be Hill and who is going to be John Ross.   Who is going to be Hopkins and who is going to Charles Rodgers or Kevin White.   You can say you do, but the high bust rate says otherwise.  The elite athletes will still go early.  

Take an OL - unless for some crazy reason Ruggs is there.  Then take him.  He would be the first round slipping exception category.  Even if he is in a scandal.  Just take him (within reason).

I personally don't care what position we take in the 2nd round just as long as it fits our needs; OT (NOT G), WR, TE, and CB (Save the safety for later rounds---the defense has already proven that they can make it work with almost anyone).

11 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

It's addicting isn't it? I can't tell you how many times I have already done these just to kill time. B| 

• Like 1

I ran one where Jordan Love fell to 43 but couldn't bear to post it, this one seems like my kind of pickstravaganza though!

CHI 50.
Xavier McKinney
S Alabama

CHI 87.
Tyler Biadasz
C Wisconsin
trade icon
CHI 98.
Chase Claypool
WR Notre Dame
trade icon
CHI 120.