Packers 2018 Mock Offseason

ChaRisMa

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I feel like we say this every year that we discuss letting a FA go that has been a starter.  I remember when people lost their minds when the Packers let Greg Jennings walk as a free agent, and that decision turned out pretty well.  Let's look at this objective.  Morgan Burnett will be 29 years old at the start of his contract, and realistically he's going to get at least a 4 year deal which would take him through his age 33 season.  Do you really want to be paying big money to an aging safety?  That doesn't seem like something the Packers are going to start doing now.

Ted has made some great moves free agent wise . More good than not. Im not a person who blindly accepts things. Just because he's been successful in FA doesn't mean we shouldn't question his future moves.

I'd be more than comfortable giving Burnett a 4 year contract. 29-32, I think his game will transfer well when he ages.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I remember when people lost their minds when the Packers let Greg Jennings walk as a free agent, and that decision turned out pretty well.  

Greg Jennings certainly left Green Bay without signing a third contract, but did the Packers really just let him walk away or did Greg initially overvalue his market and spurn the Pack's first (overly)generous offer and later accept a slightly more higher offer from the idiot organization to the west instead of taking the Pack's second, also quite substantial, offer?

According to at least one report, the Packers made Jennings an $11M a year, multi-year offer during the 2012 season (before he ever hit free agency) and an $8M a year offer once he became a free agent in 2013.

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/packers/jennings-passes-on-packers-8-million-offer-em96ep8-198638301.html/

2 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

There are maybe 3 or 4 clear upgrades to House headed to FA. Maybe 2 actually make it to market. Both of them get overpaid and only 1 makes it through the length of the deal. Or we can go get one in the draft and pay him a rookie deal and continue to spend our money keeping the offense dynamite.

You also pointed out in the first response we can't continue to choose Defense over Offense every year. But you also listed six defensive players to two offensive player that we need to see growth from. It sounds like you think we need help everywhere and I'm not sure we have the opportunity to do that.

My point is, while the squeaky wheel keeps staying there, and you keep greasing it, you may not hear the other things that start to go wrong. I would love nothing more than a cheap, young, good secondary. How much of an investment does it take before other positions start to suffer? It's good food for thought.

In this scenario, Id be concerned about that EDGE, WR and OL depth charts. 

22 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Greg Jennings certainly left Green Bay without signing a third contract, but did the Packers really just let him walk away or did Greg initially overvalue his market and spurn the Pack's first (overly)generous offer and later accept a slightly more higher offer from the idiot organization to the west instead of taking the Pack's second, also quite substantial, offer?

According to at least one report, the Packers made Jennings an $11M a year, multi-year offer during the 2012 season (before he ever hit free agency) and an $8M a year offer once he became a free agent in 2013.

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/packers/jennings-passes-on-packers-8-million-offer-em96ep8-198638301.html/

"Sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't make". -Andrew Brandt, many others probably too.

Worst part for Greg is, if he signs back here he probably plays out the contract.

sidenote: Saw Brandt and his two kids at Lambeau, just wandering with the rest of us. 

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

My point is, while the squeaky wheel keeps staying there, and you keep greasing it, you may not hear the other things that start to go wrong. I would love nothing more than a cheap, young, good secondary. How much of an investment does it take before other positions start to suffer? It's good food for thought.

In this scenario, Id be concerned about that EDGE, WR and OL depth charts. 

You'd be okay with House/King/Randall/Rollins next year? I am too assuming 3 of the 4 pan out.

15 hours ago, pollino14 said:

Ted has made some great moves free agent wise . More good than not. Im not a person who blindly accepts things. Just because he's been successful in FA doesn't mean we shouldn't question his future moves.

I'd be more than comfortable giving Burnett a 4 year contract. 29-32, I think his game will transfer well when he ages.

I'm not asking for you to blindly accept things, I'm asking you to look at this critically.  The list of TT-drafted players that have received 3rd contracts from the Packers is few and far between.  I believe the only ones who have done so are Aaron Rodgers and Jordy Nelson.  That's 2 out the 121 players he's drafted.  Obviously, not all of those 121 players are eligible for second, or even 3rd contracts so let's cut that number in half.  That's 2 out of roughly 60 players.  That's a little over 3% of the players that Ted has drafted has received a 3rd contract from the Packers.  Add on the fact that the Packers drafted Josh Jones in the 2nd round of this most recent draft, and I'd be very surprised if they re-signed Morgan Burnett.  Now if he's willing to take a discount, I'm always listening.  But he stands to make 4 years, $32M on the open market IMO.

13 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

You'd be okay with House/King/Randall/Rollins next year? I am too assuming 3 of the 4 pan out.

I'm not sure there's anything that gives you confidence at this point, but if Randall/King/Rollins continue to progress and play well it's not unreasonable to feel comfortable with the position at the end of the season.  Right now, we all have a salty taste in our mouth with the play of the CBs last year and from the Falcons game.  I'm not really wanting to make rash decisions this early in the season.

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not sure there's anything that gives you confidence at this point, but if Randall/King/Rollins continue to progress and play well it's not unreasonable to feel comfortable with the position at the end of the season.  Right now, we all have a salty taste in our mouth with the play of the CBs last year and from the Falcons game.  I'm not really wanting to make rash decisions this early in the season.

Yep thank goodness the fans are not in charge, good players would fired for having bad weeks.

1 minute ago, PackyAttacky said:

Yep thank goodness the fans are not in charge, good players would fired for having bad weeks.

I mean, I'm always game to make players accountable for their play but we as fans tend to be a bit reactionary to bad games.

How am I missing GB's 1st round pick if Hundley gets traded along with a 3rd for Arizona'a 1st pick. My opinion on Hundley is no team will give up a first for him and a 3rd, not a chance. Packlers might get a 2nd with some combination but Hundley just has not shown enough. I also think Morgan Burnett is a top 3 defensive player on this team so just dumpiong him seems dumb to me. The Packers next year need pass rushers and OL and everythign else is gravy IMO. 

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not asking for you to blindly accept things, I'm asking you to look at this critically.  The list of TT-drafted players that have received 3rd contracts from the Packers is few and far between.  I believe the only ones who have done so are Aaron Rodgers and Jordy Nelson.  That's 2 out the 121 players he's drafted.  Obviously, not all of those 121 players are eligible for second, or even 3rd contracts so let's cut that number in half.  That's 2 out of roughly 60 players.  That's a little over 3% of the players that Ted has drafted has received a 3rd contract from the Packers.  Add on the fact that the Packers drafted Josh Jones in the 2nd round of this most recent draft, and I'd be very surprised if they re-signed Morgan Burnett.  Now if he's willing to take a discount, I'm always listening.  But he stands to make 4 years, $32M on the open market IMO.

I'm perfectly aware of his tendencies. I also know that this team won't be better without M Burnett next year and the year after probably. Just not a fan of letting go of players who still have very good years left. 

4 hours ago, gizmo2012 said:

How am I missing GB's 1st round pick if Hundley gets traded along with a 3rd for Arizona'a 1st pick. My opinion on Hundley is no team will give up a first for him and a 3rd, not a chance. Packlers might get a 2nd with some combination but Hundley just has not shown enough. I also think Morgan Burnett is a top 3 defensive player on this team so just dumpiong him seems dumb to me. The Packers next year need pass rushers and OL and everythign else is gravy IMO. 

I traded 1.32, Lang Compensatory, and Hundley for Jaire Alexander at 1.17.

5 hours ago, gizmo2012 said:

Depending on what happends, WR and Corner might be needs as well. TE maybe if Bennett plays the next 14 like he did the last.

I must agree, Hundley hasn't shown anything close to getting Green Bay any pick higher then the 4th round, and that's even iffy.  Not a big fan of this mock.  I think OLB and RB will be more of a need the DB.  I think Burnett will be back.  Matthews or Perry might be gone.  Thanks for the mock.

5 hours ago, jleisher said:

I must agree, Hundley hasn't shown anything close to getting Green Bay any pick higher then the 4th round, and that's even iffy.  Not a big fan of this mock.  I think OLB and RB will be more of a need the DB.  I think Burnett will be back.  Matthews or Perry might be gone.  Thanks for the mock.

How I look at Hundley's value...

If you look at the quarterbacks drafted in the last six years outside of the top dozen picks how many of those prospects would you take over Hundley as he is right now?

Some people were pretty high on Carr. In hindsight there's Wilson and Prescott Possibly Garropalo (sp?) and Siemian.

You've had ~10-15% chance of getting a better QB than Hundley right now using a pick outside of that range in the last five years.

Teams are spending second round picks on Hackenberg and thirds on Garrett Grayson and CJ Beathard. No way in the world you can argue those guys as prospects are better than Hundley is right now. 

Archived