Packers 2018 Mock Offseason

ChaRisMa

Just don't think that roster has gotten any better. I'm not in favor of the 3rd CB in the 1st in the last 4 years. I think you can just resign House and King and get a CB in the mid rounds to fight for nickel/dime reps.

The double dip needs to come at EDGE IMO. Fackrell isn't going to see a 2nd deal. Assuming you forgot Biegel on your depth chart, but if he really is bad enough that he gets cut next year, we're in trouble.

OL and WR need youth, and actual good youth, not what we have right now. This is why it's imperative that the coaching staff gets something out of guys like Randall, Rollins, Biegel, Fackrell, etc... I think the 2019 offense is in big trouble if we have to go heavy defense again.

I love Burnett and I would be sad to see him go, but with the salary cap we simply can not afford to keep him. We have Brice and HaHa who are starters now anyway. We have Josh Jones going into the 2nd year of his rookie deal. We don't need to pay two safeties when we have Brice slotted in as the 2nd cover safety and Josh Jones to step into that hybrid role. Use the money on other parts of the defense that need help. We have underpaid the corner position since we have so many rookies. It's looking like Rollins and Randall either won't be re-signed or won't need expensive deals. Use that money on House. 

15 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

I love Burnett and I would be sad to see him go, but with the salary cap we simply can not afford to keep him. We have Brice and HaHa who are starters now anyway. We have Josh Jones going into the 2nd year of his rookie deal. We don't need to pay two safeties when we have Brice slotted in as the 2nd cover safety and Josh Jones to step into that hybrid role. Use the money on other parts of the defense that need help. We have underpaid the corner position since we have so many rookies. It's looking like Rollins and Randall either won't be re-signed or won't need expensive deals. Use that money on House. 

We should change our philosophy from draft and develop to draft, develop and let go then. We took a lot of time developing Burnett, and it's time to reap the benefits of his best years.

Just now, pollino14 said:
18 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

We should change our philosophy from draft and develop to draft, develop and let go then. We took a lot of time developing Burnett, and it's time to reap the benefits of his best years.

But it's not changing our strategy. Like it has been mentioned, we very rarely have players on a third deal. Third contracts are rare. We draft and develop and then let them go for a good comp pick, rinse and repeat. There's a reason our team is usually in the youngest 10 in the league every year. 

7 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

But it's not changing our strategy. Like it has been mentioned, we very rarely have players on a third deal. Third contracts are rare. We draft and develop and then let them go for a good comp pick, rinse and repeat. There's a reason our team is usually in the youngest 10 in the league every year. 

I know the philosophy, I just don't agree with it. Our prime window is now. Aaron is at his peak years. We have to make sure our roster is as best as it can be, and that's not getting rid of a guy who makes the calls on our defense, and is on the field pretty much every play (when healthy).

Just now, pollino14 said:
19 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

I know the philosophy, I just don't agree with it. Our prime window is now. Aaron is at his peak years. We have to make sure our roster is as best as it can be, and that's not getting rid of a guy who makes the calls on our defense, and is on the field pretty much every play (when healthy).

I won't argue with you there. Ted very much has his eyes in the future rather than the present. 

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I very much think that Hundley to Arizona is in the cards.  (Get that pun?)  :)

Love the mock off-season.  I too think Burnett is gone.  Expensive.

I think the club re-signs House, though.  And I think that they do draft a corner high.  Also guessing that they re-up Brooks and end up drafting a WR higher than you have here.

But, great work up, and a very enjoyable read!

Thanks. I like Hundley in Arizona as well. They still have a quality team there, I'm keeping them in my peripherals even as they flounder some. It'd be a good spot for Hundley.

Not at all against resigning House. But at the moment I'd prefer he be our third boundary corner.

32 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Thanks. I like Hundley in Arizona as well. They still have a quality team there, I'm keeping them in my peripherals even as they flounder some. It'd be a good spot for Hundley.

Not at all against resigning House. But at the moment I'd prefer he be our third boundary corner.

I think House being the #2 CB on the boundary in 2018 behind a #1 in King and a #3 being either of Randall/Hawkins/Rollins / draft pick

Assuming that House does not command a huge salary, something in the 2-3 years for $3-4M average would be fine.  

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Just don't think that roster has gotten any better. I'm not in favor of the 3rd CB in the 1st in the last 4 years. I think you can just resign House and King and get a CB in the mid rounds to fight for nickel/dime reps.

The double dip needs to come at EDGE IMO. Fackrell isn't going to see a 2nd deal. Assuming you forgot Biegel on your depth chart, but if he really is bad enough that he gets cut next year, we're in trouble.

OL and WR need youth, and actual good youth, not what we have right now. This is why it's imperative that the coaching staff gets something out of guys like Randall, Rollins, Biegel, Fackrell, etc... I think the 2019 offense is in big trouble if we have to go heavy defense again.

We rely on growth from within. Other than Burnett/Jones and dealing Hundley, there isn't a argument that any position group is worse. And we'd only be taking a step back from Burnett with intentions of taking two steps forward with Jones. 

I'm actually surprised to see so much support for keeping House, especially on a 3 year deal, especially when there's a decent amount of understanding to moving on from Burnett. Same age player. 

I don't care what we've invested in a position. If it's still broken after players have had plenty of opportunity, it's time to cut the losses and try again. You can't let past mistakes control the future. I love Alexander this year. I think he can have an immediate impact the way we saw from King last week.

I think we found out last week our depth on the OL is better than we think. Murphy and McCray earned a lot of respect from me. I plugged Murphy in at RG, leaving Spriggs at swing Tackle, then grabbed an interior OL in Cole to go with a decent group of 1st and second year players as well as McCray. 

As for WR, find me a guy in the draft who'll be available in the mid rounds that is more likely to take a top off a Defense than Janis. One will eventually show, but right now I don't know any. I'd gladly move one in for Falk and sign a veteran QB after the draft.

2 hours ago, pollino14 said:

What age do you think players start to decline from age, on average, for his position? He'll have 7 years of NFL under his belt at age 29. I'm on board for another year with Burnett by any more than that and you will be playing him through Jones' contract.

2 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

We rely on growth from within. Other than Burnett/Jones and dealing Hundley, there isn't a argument that any position group is worse. And we'd only be taking a step back from Burnett with intentions of taking two steps forward with Jones. 

I'm actually surprised to see so much support for keeping House, especially on a 3 year deal, especially when there's a decent amount of understanding to moving on from Burnett. Same age player. 

I don't care what we've invested in a position. If it's still broken after players have had plenty of opportunity, it's time to cut the losses and try again. You can't let past mistakes control the future. I love Alexander this year. I think he can have an immediate impact the way we saw from King last week.

I think we found out last week our depth on the OL is better than we think. Murphy and McCray earned a lot of respect from me. I plugged Murphy in at RG, leaving Spriggs at swing Tackle, then grabbed an interior OL in Cole to go with a decent group of 1st and second year players as well as McCray. 

As for WR, find me a guy in the draft who'll be available in the mid rounds that is more likely to take a top off a Defense than Janis. One will eventually show, but right now I don't know any. I'd gladly move one in for Falk and sign a veteran QB after the draft.

If we dont see obvious growth this year from guys like Fackrell, Spriggs, Rollins, Randall, Ryan, Martinez, Davis, Lowry, and even to an extent HHCD and Monty we're going to rapidly become a mediocre team that Rodgers has to carry to get anywhere.

Our draft/development history over the last 4 years is downright average. I think that's why we saw the shift toward veteran depth at a lot of spots. 

When you've invested lots of draft capital in a position with no improvement, that's when you switch to investing FA captial IMO. CB is an absolute vital position now in today's NFL, that 2018 roster of yours has almost no money tied into it, all rookie deals. It's time to pay out a Sam Shields like deal, not that it needs to be House. King would still be 4 years away from an extension if he's a stud, plenty of time to have a FA off the books for him.

6 hours ago, pollino14 said:

I feel like we say this every year that we discuss letting a FA go that has been a starter.  I remember when people lost their minds when the Packers let Greg Jennings walk as a free agent, and that decision turned out pretty well.  Let's look at this objective.  Morgan Burnett will be 29 years old at the start of his contract, and realistically he's going to get at least a 4 year deal which would take him through his age 33 season.  Do you really want to be paying big money to an aging safety?  That doesn't seem like something the Packers are going to start doing now.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

If we dont see obvious growth this year from guys like Fackrell, Spriggs, Rollins, Randall, Ryan, Martinez, Davis, Lowry, and even to an extent HHCD and Monty we're going to rapidly become a mediocre team that Rodgers has to carry to get anywhere.

Our draft/development history over the last 4 years is downright average. I think that's why we saw the shift toward veteran depth at a lot of spots. 

When you've invested lots of draft capital in a position with no improvement, that's when you switch to investing FA captial IMO. CB is an absolute vital position now in today's NFL, that 2018 roster of yours has almost no money tied into it, all rookie deals. It's time to pay out a Sam Shields like deal, not that it needs to be House. King would still be 4 years away from an extension if he's a stud, plenty of time to have a FA off the books for him.

There are maybe 3 or 4 clear upgrades to House headed to FA. Maybe 2 actually make it to market. Both of them get overpaid and only 1 makes it through the length of the deal. Or we can go get one in the draft and pay him a rookie deal and continue to spend our money keeping the offense dynamite.

You also pointed out in the first response we can't continue to choose Defense over Offense every year. But you also listed six defensive players to two offensive player that we need to see growth from. It sounds like you think we need help everywhere and I'm not sure we have the opportunity to do that.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I feel like we say this every year that we discuss letting a FA go that has been a starter.  I remember when people lost their minds when the Packers let Greg Jennings walk as a free agent, and that decision turned out pretty well.  Let's look at this objective.  Morgan Burnett will be 29 years old at the start of his contract, and realistically he's going to get at least a 4 year deal which would take him through his age 33 season.  Do you really want to be paying big money to an aging safety?  That doesn't seem like something the Packers are going to start doing now.

This is exactly how I feel about House as well, though. No, the money's not the same but the policy should be the same.

Archived