How has your team done in FA?

RaidersAreOne

Meh.

FA Signings

Center-Connor McGovern upgrade over what we had the past few years, first legit center.  So good signing.

OG-Greg Van Roten- Cheap decent signing, upgrade over the turds we had last season and doesn't cost much. 

OT-George Fant- Not sure, basically a 1 yr deal so either they hit on him or hes a turd. Hes athletic and fits what they want, but they still need a OT. 

CB-Pierre Desir Decent signing, hes better than the turds we had last season. Hes better than Trumaine Johnson, who isn't? 

ILB- Patrick Onwuasor meh, we have some depth at ILB it seems.

WR-Breshad Perriman decent signing, fill some of the void by losing Anderson. But WR is a huge need in the draft.

Then resigned a bunch of guys.

FA has been a lot of 1 yr deals, tons of cap space available in 2021. Douglas trying to improve depth and competition, didn't overpay average talent. But we desperately need a good draft and we have glaring holes. Sam Darnold has the worst supporting talent and that needs to improve. 

Glaring holes

WR, OT, CB, EDGE. 

5 hours ago, Malfatron said:

packers.

not as bad as the Bears.

Underwhelming, but ok i suppose

The Bears got Robert Quinn,  Germain Ifedi, and Nick Foles. 

You, uhh, drinking the Lambeau Kool-Aid there, Malfatron?

Bears aren't setting the world on fire, but they're plugging some mighty big holes...

Buffalo Bills:

IN:

CB Josh Norman - Won't be asked to do much. Returns to a favorable scheme where he once excelled. Getting beat deep won't be an issue with Bills Safeties back there.

CB EJ Gaines - When he is healthy he fits the Bills defense perfectly. But he is never healthy. Good competition to have for camp.

LB AJ Klein - Knows the system and is a solid player who's entering a prime age. Not a flashy signing but a solid one Brandon Beane has made a living off of.

LB Tyler Matakevich - Will be a core Special Teams player. Led the NFL in special teams tackles over the past 4 years.

DL Quinton Jefferson - A moveable piece across the DL that should add depth right away. One of my favorite signings. 

DL Vernon Butler - One year deal on a guy coming off his best statistical year could pay huge dividends. Reminds me of the Jordan Phillips signing in 2018.

DL Mario Addison - Should be an upgrade to Shaq Lawson for this season at least. Bills need to attack the passer and he does exactly that.

RB Taiwan Jones - Another core special teams player. Probably better than what Senorise Perry offered last season.

OL Daryl Williams - Adds flexibility across the line and competition for the back end of the OL. May not even make final roster though.

*Traded for WR Stefon Diggs* This is the headliner as Diggs adds something the Bills haven't had since Stevie Johnson really (consistently anyway). Allowing John Brown to see CB2 more often and forcing teams to play more Cover 2 should help the Bills pass game and running game collectively. 

OUT:

CB Kevin Johnson - Was up and down last year. UDFA Levi Wallace outplayed him more often. Solid depth player but not hard to replace.

DE Shaq Lawson - Coming off a career year and entering a prime age the Bills could look really foolish for letter him go, if he continues to develop as a pass rusher. 

DT Jordan Phillips - Had a career resurrection in Buffalo after being picked up on waivers from Miami. If Buffalo didn't just draft Ed Oliver I think he would have been back. Good player but not a lone game changer IMO. 

LB Lorenzo Alexander (retired) - His leadership and flexibility will be missed for sure. He played LB, DE, DT and basically every special teams. Bills signed 3 guys to try and replace him (Klein, Jefferson, Matakevich). 

All in all I think the Bills improved their depth and possibly even the player at DE, at least for the interim. Again, Diggs is the headliner and the one that hopefully moves the needle for this team. Bills biggest remaining needs are RB2 and DE3 with questions at RT and CB2.

The Vikings did well and dropped the ball a few times. They got rid of a bunch of over priced players. But didn't do a good enough job retaining more affordable talent and  depth. The places where we needed help we ended up losing depth. All in all we had great depth on our defense and I guess with so many picks in the draft we just really Need to hit on half of those picks and sign one or two more guys.

I give it a C

It's kind of surprising given the coverage of the offseason, but the Ravens have literally only added two players: Calais Campbell and now Derek Wolfe. But I REALLY like the fit of adding Campbell to this team, given our history of getting some surprisingly good years out of older veterans. I also think retaining Jimmy Smith on a low price to be basically going to be our 4th CB/safety was a surprise, but a sneaky good move to bolster our committement to coverage > pass rush. Tagging Judon is basically holding on a meh pass rush. 

We have done literally nothing to help Lamar. But, we've accumulated draft assets to find him help. We now have an extra 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. We should definitely be able to add a target that we can fit on the field better than Hayden Hurst. The bigger question is how we bolster the interior O-line after losing Yanda. It's not supposed to be a good interior O-line draft. However, we can hope the team can defy that and find a contributor.

I'd give it a B+.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BleedTheClock said:

All of them, with the exception of MAYBE Byrd over Dorsett.

So you actually think Duron Harmon is better than Adrian Phillips. PUH-LEASE.

Allen/Shelton is a bit of a wash. Shelton has such a minimal impact for such a large man whereas Allen can actually use his quickness to his advantage.

Byrd is better than Dorsett, although it's not by much.

I didn't say these were huge improvements. But the ones I have pointed out are improvements.

@BleedTheClock Gostkowski has been garbage. Especially looking strictly at 2019, yes, his replacements thus far have been an improvement and I expect that to continue in 2020.

Develin contributed almost nothing, as did Jaokb Johnson, in 2019. There in improvement by default with Vitale. That's without accounting for Vitale's versatility that is much greater than Develin's has ever been.

So again, improvements. Even if by default. From 2019. Clearly.

Just now, DoleINGout said:

@BleedTheClock Gostkowski has been garbage. Especially looking strictly at 2019, yes, his replacements thus far have been an improvement and I expect that to continue in 2020.

I mean, I guess you plan on signing a street FA. Is that really going to move the needle for you? Right now you have nobody. That's not better than somebody.

Develin contributed almost nothing, as did Jaokb Johnson, in 2019. There in improvement by default with Vitale. That's without accounting for Vitale's versatility that is much greater than Develin's has ever been.

Vitale is pretty good, but he's not some stud. Develin was one of the league's better blocking FB's. Vitale offers more as an athlete, but he's not going to move the needle at all.

So again, improvements. Even if by default. From 2019. Clearly.

Maybe....but if you say Gostkowski and Develin were trash, it's not like their replacements are good. They're also throw-aways.

6 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

So you actually think Duron Harmon is better than Adrian Phillips. PUH-LEASE.

Yeah I do. I don't think Adrian Phillips is anything special.

Allen/Shelton is a bit of a wash. Shelton has such a minimal impact for such a large man whereas Allen can actually use his quickness to his advantage.

Shelton eats blocks. Allen doesn't really do anything better than average.

Byrd is better than Dorsett, although it's not by much.

They're the same player basically. I prefer Dorsett, but it's a wash.

6 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I mean, I guess you plan on signing a street FA. Is that really going to move the needle for you? Right now you have nobody. That's not better than somebody.

Vitale is pretty good, but he's not some stud. Develin was one of the league's better blocking FB's. Vitale offers more as an athlete, but he's not going to move the needle at all.

Maybe....but if you say Gostkowski and Develin were trash, it's not like their replacements are good. They're also throw-aways.

They signed Nick Folk last year off the street and he was great.

The Pats played backup linebacker/fringe-roster-player to-start-2019 Elandon Roberts at fullback.

Vitale is an improvement. And an ascending player if anything. Develin was super limited anyways to run blocking only.

8 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Yeah I do. I don't think Adrian Phillips is anything special.

Shelton eats blocks. Allen doesn't really do anything better than average.

They're the same player basically. I prefer Dorsett, but it's a wash.

You mustn't understand Harmon's role on the Patriots and how his career has been defined by being a third safety whose production is the product of a lot of deflections and garbage time passes by opposing offenses. He is a tweener safety who is incredible average at both spots. Adrian Phillips is a two time Pro Bowler with special teams prowess and can play in the box or deep in coverage better than Harmon ever has.

Shelton eats blocks? He can't shed and tackle or rush the pass. He is average like Allen but somehow kore underwhelming because he does less with more. Allen has a better motor and pursuit in general.

Byrd is a better deep threat than Dorsett at this point and probably hungrier too since he has been in the league less and won less and earned less yet produced more in 2019. Gimme Byrd.

Trading for a bona fide CB1 in Slay was a great move for my Eagles. Something we haven't had in quite a while. He will stabilize that CB1 spot for the next few seasons. Adding Javon Hargrave next to Fletcher Cox is as good a 1-2 punch you'll find at DT. Adding Will Parks as our SAF3 will be an upgrade on the Sendejo and Corey Graham types. Young athletic player who excels in the areas that we require our 3rd safeties to excel in. Nickell Robey-Coleman upgrades an already strong slot CB unit with Crevon LeBlanc there as well. This move also pushes Avonte Maddox outside to CB2, where I believe he will play very well, as evidence suggests he will. Jalen Mills is being brought back to play safety. Many of us have longed for Mills to move to safety for years now. He is taking on the "Malcolm Jenkins" role which includes covering TE, covering slot WR, playing a hybrid LB role in run support, even sometimes lining up on the LOS. To be determined how well he can play in this role, but I do believe his strengths (tackling, extensive coverage experience, aggression, football IQ, instincts) match up with the tasks he'll be asked to complete. Bringing Rodney McLeod back at FS to stabilize the back end and play a larger leadership role was a crucial move imo. He brings continuity to a secondary that will be experiencing some change in personnel and scheme learning. Jatavis Brown will be a core special teamer, and has some upside as a young athletic LB. I'm a big fan of our off season thus far. Super excited about our new look secondary and the talent infusion there.