Realistic Trent Williams Trade Plus Trade Down Mock

brownie man

The more I think about it a trade for Trent Williams makes so much sense.

• We fix the most glaring need with a pro bowl player.
  • Pay him for the next 3 years and prepare for life after him.
  • We trade an asset, but because we now have that need fixed we can trade down to recoup the asset plus more.

1. So we trade our own third rounder pick 74 for Trent straight up. 
  2. Then at pick 10 we trade down with Tampa Bay who has pick 14. They want to jump the Jets to make sure they can one of the top 4 stud tackles to protect Brady. They trade up their third which is pick 76 and their 5th which is pick 161. 
  3. So we recoup our third rounder, and we get into the 5th round which we currently dont have a pick for. 

I'm using to be realistic as I slot picks

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings/

1. Joe Burrow

2. Chase Young

3.Jeff Okudah

4. Isaiah Simmons

5. Tua T

6. Justin Herbert

7. Meckhi Becton

8. Jedrick Wills

9. Tristan Wirfs

so with the run on tackles

10. Tampa Trades up to select Andrew Thomas

11. Jets Jerry Jeudy 

12. Oakland Ceedee Lamb

13. San Fran Javon Kinlaw

So with the draft. 

First round Tampa Bay Pick 14. WR Henry Ruggs Alabama - With our oline fixed we take advantage and go BPA. Ruggs as a deep threat in our playaction offense will be a true field stretcher to compliment Odell and Jarvis and complete our offense. 

2nd round Pick 41. S Antoine Winfield Jr. - Pick just makes a great deal of sense. Our DC coached his dad and we have a big need here. I could see Ashtyn Davis there as well. 

3rd round Tampa Pick 76. LB Malik Harrison OSU - One of the few players who can come in with starting Mike linebacker traits. Comes in and compete with Mack so see who will be Mike or Will. 

3rd round Texans Pick 97. OT Matthew Peart Uconn - Raw high upside tackle we can mold behind Williams and give him plenty of time before we depend on him. 

4th rounder pick 115. CB Darnay Holmes UCLA - Developmental slot corner to come in and compete with Kevin Johnson for nickle. 

5th Tampa Pick 161. OL Shane Lemieux Oregon. Developmental inside lineman to come in and compete at guard. 

6th Arizona pick 187. S Jordan Fuller OSU - Developmental safety who can come in and start on special teams. 

7th Green Bay 244.  LB Jordan Mack Virginia - Another linebacker to bring in depth and help on special teams. 

Edited by brownie man
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Ruggs as a deep threat in our playaction offense will be a true field stretcher to compliment Odell and Jarvis and complete our offense. 

but that is not an aspect of the Stef offense tho. He doesnt like using 3WRs on the field at once. I think the only thing the offense is truly missing is a LT. I think after that, the offense is ready for Stef. 

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/personnel-grouping-frequency.html

This site shows you % of offensive personnel groupings. Minny is last or 2nd to last in using 3WRs or more.

1 minute ago, buno67 said:

but that is not an aspect of the Stef offense tho. He doesnt like using 3WRs on the field at once. I think the only thing the offense is truly missing is a LT. I think after that, the offense is ready for Stef. 

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/personnel-grouping-frequency.html

This site shows you % of offensive personnel groupings. Minny is last or 2nd to last in using 3WRs or more.

Part of that is the fact Thielin was injured for more than half the year. 

and also Vikings receivers suck after Diggs and Thielin so you have to take that into account as well. 

I have no doubt that if Stef has a legit number 3 option that he’d use him. He just never had one in Minnesota. It’s a projection, but I think it makes a ton of sense with our roster to have a field stretcher. Ruggs is the best one.

Just now, brownie man said:

Part of that is the fact Thielin was injured for more than half the year. 

and also Vikings receivers suck after Diggs and Thielin so you have to take that into account as well. 

I have no doubt that if Stef has a legit number 3 option that he’d use him. He just never had one in Minnesota. It’s a projection, but I think it makes a ton of sense with our roster to have a field stretcher. Ruggs is the best one.

Thielin was healthy for the 1st 7weeks and the Vikings still rarely played with 3WRs. 

week1-7, Minny ran 11 groupings 17%, 20 grouping 1%, 10grouping 0%, and 0grouping 0%.

If minny truly cared about having a 3rd WR instead of a 2nd TE, they would have made it a goal to draft a legit one. They drafted their #2 TE right before AJ Brown in the 2nd rd. Draft other non WR like right before Hakeem Butler. They drafted their 1st WR last year in the 7th round.

Stef loves the 2TEs and forcing the defense to defend the run on all downs.

Ruggs would be a luxury pick cause the Browns have other needs and they could properly fulfill 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Thielin was healthy for the 1st 7weeks and the Vikings still rarely played with 3WRs. 

week1-7, Minny ran 11 groupings 17%, 20 grouping 1%, 10grouping 0%, and 0grouping 0%.

If minny truly cared about having a 3rd WR instead of a 2nd TE, they would have made it a goal to draft a legit one. They drafted their #2 TE right before AJ Brown in the 2nd rd. Draft other non WR like right before Hakeem Butler. They drafted their 1st WR last year in the 7th round.

Stef loves the 2TEs and forcing the defense to defend the run on all downs.

Ruggs would be a luxury pick cause the Browns have other needs and they could properly fulfill 

But we have our 2 TEs already. The Vikings weren’t in that position last year. Plus they didn’t have a 3rd receiver talented enough to put on the field over Irv Smith. Who I am a big fan of. They just didn’t have the talent there. 

6 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I know it's boring, but everyone's mock drafts should start with this:

#10---LT.
Wirfs, Wills, Becton, Thomas.

2nd--FS.
McKinney, Delpit, Winfield.

I love Wills but all of the tackles have some level of concern. 

With Becton will he become refined soon enough for us to start him as a rookie on a shortened offseason?

Thomas. Is he athletic enough to be a great fit in the zone blocking scheme?

Wirfs is his best position truly tackle? I’ve thought it’s been guard from day 1 plus moving to the left is a projection.

Wills who I love still brings the question of having to move to the left side? Now I believe he can do it but it’s still a projection

Trent has no questions about him game and we know he can do his job day 1. 

I think there is a ton of value not having to depend on a rookie to protect your young QBs blindside. We can still get a tackle later and not have to rush their development. 

Edited by brownie man

1 hour ago, brownie man said:

Trent has no questions about him game and we know he can do his job day 1. 

Huh? The dude has major injury concerns. And he hasn’t played football in a long time. Even if healthy, it’s concerning that he hasn’t played in so long. 

If you want to nitpick these OT’s, you’ll never find an OT you like. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

A guy who hasn't played in nearly 2 years has no questions?

lol

Gotta hand it to you, man. When you're on one, you're really on one.

29 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Huh? The dude has major injury concerns. And he hasn’t played football in a long time. Even if healthy, it’s concerning that he hasn’t played in so long. 

If you want to nitpick these OT’s, you’ll never find an OT you like. 

y’all acting like Trent hasn’t proven to be a multiple time pro bowler as a left tackle in a zone scheme. 

that’s a fact

whoever trades for him is going to do it with the expectation he come in and unquestionably be the starting LT week one and expecting all pro ability. 

There is no way you can have that same expectation as a rookie. If Trent is healthy which from all reports say he is then why would be not expect him to be a pro bowl level player week 1? 

Edited by brownie man

3 hours ago, brownie man said:

But we have our 2 TEs already. The Vikings weren’t in that position last year. Plus they didn’t have a 3rd receiver talented enough to put on the field over Irv Smith. Who I am a big fan of. They just didn’t have the talent there. 

They could have drafted AJ Brown over Smith.  But they knew in their scheme a legit #2 is better than a #3 WR. Showing you what is more important.

They literally rolled with a 7th rd pick as their #2/#3 WR. Showing you how much they valued you the position outside of Diggs and Thielen. Heck they could have sign better low cost vets. Heck they could have ran more 3 WRs sets once Thielen came because Johnson flashed a little bit once he got more reps, meaning they had a 3rd WR they could potentially work with. 

dont see the need for a 1st rd WR who would be 4th maybe 5th in targets on the team

7 minutes ago, buno67 said:

They could have drafted AJ Brown over Smith.  But they knew in their scheme a legit #2 is better than a #3 WR. Showing you what is more important.

They literally rolled with a 7th rd pick as their #2/#3 WR. Showing you how much they valued you the position outside of Diggs and Thielen. Heck they could have sign better low cost vets. Heck they could have ran more 3 WRs sets once Thielen came because Johnson flashed a little bit once he got more reps, meaning they had a 3rd WR they could potentially work with. 

dont see the need for a 1st rd WR who would be 4th maybe 5th in targets on the team

Again because they prioritized TE doesn’t mean that a special third receiver wouldn’t add value. 

it’s not about his targets it’s about the skill set brings to the offense. Our running game plus a deep threat like Ruggs would open up a ridiculous amount of space for the rest of the offense. 

He’d be the Tyreek Hill or the Marquise Brown of our offense opening up the running game even more just by the threat of his speed. 

plus our receivers are getting old and having more injuries every year.