Chiefs Cap Space: $177-If The Lions Made A Move...

Just Want A Title

I just read that the Chiefs have a whopping $177 in cap space. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/30/chiefs-have-177-00-in-cap-space/

The have some easy outs like cutting Sammy Watkins that would save $14 million.  They already have Frank Clark signed to a Massive deal and they still still have to sign Patrick Mahomes to an extension.  If the Lions made a bold move for Chris Jones what do you think it would look like?  For reference, Frank Clark was traded for a 2d round pick.  One OK scenario:

The Lions get:  Chris Jones, #28 

The Chiefs get:  #3 Pick overall

What do you think a trade should look like?

Edited by Just Want A Title
Forgot something

16 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I just read that the Chiefs have a whopping $177 in cap space. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/30/chiefs-have-177-00-in-cap-space/

The have some easy outs like cutting Sammy Watkins that would save $14 million.  They already have Frank Clark signed to a Massive deal and they still still have to sign Patrick Mahomes to an extension.  If the Lions made a bold move for Chris Jones what do you think it would look like?  For reference, Frank Clark was traded for a 2d round pick.  One OK scenario:

The Lions get:  Chris Jones, #28 

The Chiefs get:  #3 Pick overall

What do you think a trade should look like?

No way we should be giving up #3 in that scenario. If we added a 2nd 1st round pick in a trade down, I'd be cool with it. If we wanted to do #35 and 2021 1st in exchange for Jones and a 2021 2nd or something, sure. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

if we trade down from 3. im all for making a move for Jones. maybe we could make a move for yannick & Jones? first few picks o-line yannick jones. then round 3.. assuming we trade down. i know it sounds like something in madden but it could happen??

It's just the money... how do you pay both of those guys the $18 - $20 they'll want plus keep all of your draft picks... 

• Like 1

As much as I like Chris Jones, I don't think he overrides* the need for us at CB. If you're running your defense back to front, that shutdown CB is a very, very valuable piece. When the best guy to come out in the last 4 years is available for you at a key spot, that's a hard thing to pass up. 

If we trade down and acquire an additional 1st, I could see us doing a "Frank Clark-style" trade for Jones. 

Late 1st (#29 for Clark), 2020 2nd, swap of 2019 3rd's. 

Ex. Miami gives us #5 and #26 +, we could trade #26 + 2021 2nd for Jones. 

Edited by Karnage84
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

It's just the money... how do you pay both of those guys the $18 - $20 they'll want plus keep all of your draft picks... 

could back load the contract with a big signing bonus, also we would give up our 2 and future 2 for Clark. if we got both & the jags moved up from 9-3. they could include Yannick. 

7 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

could back load the contract with a big signing bonus, also we would give up our 2 and future 2 for Clark. if we got both & the jags moved up from 9-3. they could include Yannick. 

I don't discount the idea that we could make a splash play, especially with a good amount of salary cap and draft compensation. I just don't expect for us to make two in one off-season. That's the kind of model that's going to give you short term success for maybe 1-2 years and then you wind up in cap hell. On top of that, you've given up key assets to help you draft good players at low cost to replace guys. This is the issue that teams like the Rams are running into. If we can acquire additional assets in a trade down and then move to get Chris Jones with a late 1st and then some, we're basically doing this with house money. 

• Like 1

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2020/04/02/lions-mailbag-part-2-what-should-detroit-get-no-3-why-no-golladay-deal/5101794002/

What is the best draft/remaining FA/season scenario that has the Lions winning the division? — @pierce_bw

► A: The Lions trade pick No. 3 to Miami for picks No. 5 and No. 26. At five, the Lions draft Jeff Okudah and at No. 26 the team grabs the best edge rusher available, such as Yetur Gross-Matos or A.J. Epenesa. 

Detroit then ships pick No. 35 to the Kansas City Chiefs for defensive tackle Chris Jones, signing the dominant interior lineman to a five-year, $90 million deal in the process. 

Justin Rodgers response was pretty much spot on. id be down for that

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2020/04/02/lions-mailbag-part-2-what-should-detroit-get-no-3-why-no-golladay-deal/5101794002/

What is the best draft/remaining FA/season scenario that has the Lions winning the division? — @pierce_bw

► A: The Lions trade pick No. 3 to Miami for picks No. 5 and No. 26. At five, the Lions draft Jeff Okudah and at No. 26 the team grabs the best edge rusher available, such as Yetur Gross-Matos or A.J. Epenesa. 

Detroit then ships pick No. 35 to the Kansas City Chiefs for defensive tackle Chris Jones, signing the dominant interior lineman to a five-year, $90 million deal in the process. 

Justin Rodgers response was pretty much spot on. id be down for that

"When you wish upon a starrrrr....."

• Like 3