RUMOR: Jaguars and Patriots discussing Jimmy Garrapolo

.Buzz

As much ad I'd like him to be a part of this team, the capital is just too much. He will command too much and I'm on board with going after a free agent QB. Ride it out with Blake. Get that top 10 pick. Pick up a QB in free agency and draft the QB of the future to sit for a year if we come away with Brees or if we get Cousins, get the BPA. 

On 9/22/2017 at 11:17 AM, Crickett said:

Quick reminder: You would be trading for Jimmy Garrapolo mid season with limited time to replace and put him behind a sub par offensive line with your top receiver out for the year.  And then you would need to re-sign him to a big money contract or franchise him.  Currently your receiver corps consists of Allen Hurns (whom there were rumors you were looking to trade a few weeks ago), an injury prone Marquise Lee, Arrelious Benn and the recently acquired Jaelen Strong.  Not exactly an elite group. 

So I ask, is this really the best idea? 

The answer is no, it is not the best idea.  But that often does not stop this franchise from doing things anyway.

I'm not nearly so sold on Jimmy G as a lot of people seem to be in the first place - i don't really think he's shown all that much.  Pretty reasonable chance he turns out to be a Matt Cassell or Brian Hoyer, rather than a high end starting QB imo.  But even brushing that aside...this stuff is also entirely pertinent.  Trying to parachute a guy in and have him "rescue" the season behind that line, with those inept receivers?  That's really not going to be a good investment.  Especially considering what it sounds like it would cost to bring him in.  Both in the resources to make the trade, and then in the price point you're talking about locking into for a lot of years if he even manages to look like he might be halfway competent.

16 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

The answer is no, it is not the best idea.  But that often does not stop this franchise from doing things anyway.

I'm not nearly so sold on Jimmy G as a lot of people seem to be in the first place - i don't really think he's shown all that much.  Pretty reasonable chance he turns out to be a Matt Cassell or Brian Hoyer, rather than a high end starting QB imo.  But even brushing that aside...this stuff is also entirely pertinent.  Trying to parachute a guy in and have him "rescue" the season behind that line, with those inept receivers?  That's really not going to be a good investment.  Especially considering what it sounds like it would cost to bring him in.  Both in the resources to make the trade, and then in the price point you're talking about locking into for a lot of years if he even manages to look like he might be halfway competent.

Yeah, I mean I feel pretty similarly as far as trying to trade for a QB midseason with our situation isn't likely changing much either way. I just am so sick of watching Bortles man...

giphy.webp

7 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

I'm fairly confident that Cousins, Alex Smith, Jimmy G, Brees or Bridgewater will be the Jags QB next season.

I sure hope so. I'd love to see us have a KC situation (Have a competent starter, develop a rookie).

21 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

I'm fairly confident that Cousins, Alex Smith, Jimmy G, Brees or Bridgewater will be the Jags QB next season.

I'm definitely warming up to the idea.  Of some of those guys at least.  Would really like to see the right sort of staff for that particular guy brought in, if that's what we end up doing though.

6 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I'm definitely warming up to the idea.  Of some of those guys at least.  Would really like to see the right sort of staff for that particular guy brought in, if that's what we end up doing though.

Yea I'm warming up to that idea too. I think bringing in a good vet that can actually win games instead of just manage will increase morale too. These guys like Calais want to make a run and we cant do that if we are starting who we have or some rookie out of the gate

Archived