Nick Foles vs Derek Carr 2020

notthatbluestuff

Nick Foles vs Derek Carr 2020  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Nick Foles vs Derek Carr 2020

• Foles
    • Carr

Just looking at the division these guys are playing in, can’t help but think the defenses in the NFC North are going to present a tougher task. That and Carr is already familiar with his offense and has plenty of reps within it while a shortened offseason might have more impact on Foles. So I feel all that will ultimately lend itself to Carr having the better season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Just looking at the division these guys are playing in, can’t help but think the defenses in the NFC North are going to present a tougher task. That and Carr is already familiar with his offense and has plenty of reps within it while a shortened offseason might have more impact on Foles. So I feel all that will ultimately lend itself to Carr having the better season.

A good point. Maybe Foles vs Bridgewater would've been a better question. 

• Like 1

I'm one of the more critical posters of Carr on here but Carr blows Foles out of the water. As the above poster said, Foles is a backup in this league. A top-tier backup, but still a backup. Carr is a starter in this league. A low-level, 19-24 ranking range type starter, but definitely a starter.

Edited by BayRaider

On 4/5/2020 at 8:03 PM, BayRaider said:

Carr is a starter in this league. A low-level, 19-24 ranking range type starter, but definitely a starter.

Out of curious where do you have Trubisky ranked because only having 8-13 Potential QB "worse" then Carr, is not neccesarily a ringing endorsement or hard to eclipse if Foles ends up Starting as a Bear.

I personally like Carr and think he is unfairly getting a bad wrap for everything bad Raiders related on Offense. Actually put Viable "legit" weapons around him and He too, will put up big numbers. Like most QB's.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Out of curious where do you have Trubisky ranked because only having 8-13 Potential QB "worse" then Carr, is not neccesarily a ringing endorsement or hard to eclipse if Foles ends up Starting as a Bear.

I personally like Carr and think he is unfairly getting a bad wrap for everything bad Raiders related on Offense. Actually put Viable "legit" weapons around him and He too, will put up big numbers. Like most QB's.

Trub probably is a Bottom 3-4 starter in the NFL. But when you’re that low, you can be out performed by a backup at any point. Mariota also, is probably still the #31 or #32 QB in the NFL, even as a backup, and he could replace a struggling Carr this year. 

As for Carr, my writeup about him is on this page: 

The fact is Carr had a Top 5 Pass Protection, Jacobs was amazing, Waller was statistically a Top 5 TE, and Tyrell and Renfrow were pretty good, although certainly not great. QBs had much worse WR's than Tyrell and Renfrow, that's for sure. 

I have a lot of criticism and a lot of it is warranted. 

I have no problem giving Carr credit on many things. 

Pros:

- Tremendous Release, top 5 in the league. 

- Tremendous Arm

- Grade A Short Level Accuracy Under 10 yards (guys open)

- Grade B Medium Level Accuracy 11-20 yards (guys open). 

- Solid A+ No issues type of character. 

Neutral:

- Slightly above average processing speed.

- Good straight line speed (let’s not mistake this for mobility, agility, extending plays, or escaping pressure though)

Cons:

- Poor situational awareness. Throwing short of the chains on 3rd, well short, throwing away on 4th down, does not get aggressive down two scores. Very content. Multiple coaching staffs. 

- Poor Pocket Presence. Does not have a good feel in the pocket if any defender looks like they are winning even a little bit. He will rush his reads, make a poor decision, or drop the ball off too soon for a minimal gain that will stall the drive whether it causes a 3rd and long or a punt. 

- Panics/Happy Feet Under Pressure. No, not all QBs have this. It’s not in many college scouting reports. That year was just him and Jimmy. And it’s followed both to the NFL. This year you’ll see it in Herberts scouting profile. He uses his feet and abandons footwork way to soon and gets way too paranoid under pressure. Also, with consistent pressure, he loses confidence really quickly. 

- Poor in cold weather. Some QBs have their stuff in cold weather and some don’t. Carr is 0-10 in games sub 45 degrees with 6 TD's and 9 INT's last time I checked. He shuts down in the cold. Complete shut down. 

- Poor mobility escaping pressure and extending plays. Terrible lateral movement and sense of pressure. 

- Is not able to make anticipation and timing throws. This is crucial at the NFL level, and especially for a west coast offense like Jon Gruden. I do not think Carr belongs in a west coast offense. 

- Will not throw into tight windows. This is because he can’t. This is also completely needed in the NFL in most styles of offenses. There is only a few examples of Carr doing this, one being at the Pro Bowl. Carr is designed for a system that schemes WRs wide open. Musgraves offense was a good fit for him. This is also why when our cast doesn’t get monster type separation on plays, Carr just shuts down. Vikings and Jets games, those are on Carr. Guys still have a good step on their man, but Carr is not that type of QB to fire it in there. Against those type of smothering defenses Carr just shuts down completely. It’s much more on Carr than the WRs. 

- Average to Below Average Football IQ. I think Carr is pretty good pre snap and reading coverages pre snap but he gets fooled by disguised coverage easily, which leads to a quick panic drop off, and also fails to recognize the coverage in real time. His brain just doesn’t solve problems that fast (NFL speed fast). 

- Average to below average deep accuracy. Don't give me the PFF deep accuracy crap. That's only high because Carr will only throw down field when a guy is completely wide wide open. 

- One of the very few QBs to not have an alpha personality. He’s sensitive, he’s passive aggressive, and just seems mentally weak. 

I personally don’t think he’s the QB for us but he’s not terrible. I have him ranked around 18-21ish of all the starting QBs. We can ride him one more year, but it's not preferable.

I’d say 55-60% of Raider Fans in general do not think Carr is the answer. FootballFuture is a little different, about 55-60% think he’s a solid QB. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:
7 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Trub probably is a Bottom 3-4 starter in the NFL. But when you’re that low, you can be out performed by a backup at any point. Mariota also, is probably still the #31 or #32 QB in the NFL, even as a backup, and he could replace a struggling Carr this year. 

So a "Back up" like Foles , is he better or worse than a Starter like Trubisky? If better that means he realistically only has to marginally improve the Bears Offense 4-9 Spot to be on par with or Exceed Derek Carr, No?

It's not as far fetched an idea as you make it out to be. Foles problem and it has been his entire career is staying Healthy. He can't! If BDN plays 16 gms as the Bears Starter in a Nagy led Offense 4000 yds and 21+ TD are not only attainable but would be easy eclipsed IMO. Or better known as Derek Carr type Numbers.

Just saying.