Bengals release CB Dre Kirkpatrick

TheVillain112

Honestly, hopefully not all that long, and hopefully he isn't too spendy, we have no depth at CB. Though, at this point, I'm fine bringing in younger and less known players just so he can spend more time turning a younger CB into a good player, this year is just going to be rough at CB.

24 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Honestly, hopefully not all that long, and hopefully he isn't too spendy, we have no depth at CB. Though, at this point, I'm fine bringing in younger and less known players just so he can spend more time turning a younger CB into a good player, this year is just going to be rough at CB.

His particular style of play could hold up for a while longer.  I think a team could sign him to a 3 year deal and not worry about it too much.  He's been generally healthy, except last year.

The problem with Dre is that he's a poor tackler.  He doesn't want to do it, and whiffs a lot when he tries.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, theJ said:

The problem with Dre is that he's a poor tackler.  He doesn't want to do it, and whiffs a lot when he tries.

That reason right there probably means that the Vikings wouldn't sign him. Zim want's his CB's to be active in the run game.

1 minute ago, The Gnat said:

That reason right there probably means that the Vikings wouldn't sign him. Zim want's his CB's to be active in the run game.

Who knows.  He drafted Dre, and put up with him for a few years in Cincy.  Dre played a lot, and started for him.  So he obviously thinks something of him.

16 minutes ago, theJ said:

Who knows.  He drafted Dre, and put up with him for a few years in Cincy.  Dre played a lot, and started for him.  So he obviously thinks something of him.

What?  Dre Kirkpatrick started 3 games for Mike Zimmer out of 32 potential games in two years he was the DC there.  Sure they drafted Dre when Zimmer was the DC.  That is about it.  Dre Kirkpatrick I would not mind bringing in at a cheap rate, he has length for sure but clearly has been a disappointment in the NFL honestly.  What Rhodes deal was 1 year for $5 for the Colts, I know Rhodes had a bad season last year but is far more experienced in Zimmer's system and honestly is a better player all around than Dre Kirkpatrick.  

So in that regard, yeah I doubt it happens.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

What?  Dre Kirkpatrick started 3 games for Mike Zimmer out of 32 potential games in two years he was the DC there.  Sure they drafted Dre when Zimmer was the DC.  That is about it.  Dre Kirkpatrick I would not mind bringing in at a cheap rate, he has length for sure but clearly has been a disappointment in the NFL honestly.  What Rhodes deal was 1 year for $5 for the Colts, I know Rhodes had a bad season last year but is far more experienced in Zimmer's system and honestly is a better player all around than Dre Kirkpatrick.  

Rhodes was really bad last year though. I don’t think Kirkpatrick has been that bad. He’s a “Trae Waynes” level CB who could also be argued as a somewhat disappointing player relative to draft status. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Gnat said:

Though, at this point, I'm fine bringing in younger and less known players just so he can spend more time turning a younger CB into a good player, this year is just going to be rough at CB.

2020 is going to be a difficult season for youth development. New CBA limits offseason work even more than in the past and the current outlook suggests no OTAs and a delayed start to any other offseason activities. 2020 is probably more of a sign-a-vet year in terms of 2020 contributions.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Rhodes was really bad last year though. I don’t think Kirkpatrick has been that bad. He’s a “Trae Waynes” level CB who could also be argued as a somewhat disappointing player relative to draft status. 

He was really bad, he is also a great worker though and if he was in better shape in terms of his deep speed he would not have gotten beat as often.  Clearly the rules currently in the NFL do not allow him to hand fight as much as he used to and that hurts his game overall.  But he is experienced in the system and for currently gets $5 million only, that is pretty cheap.  Doubt we could even get Dre Kirkpatrick for that amount but who knows.   Basically saying not sure Kirkpatrick is an upgrade honestly and he is older and fare less experienced and accomplished at the position.  

9 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

He was really bad, he is also a great worker though and if he was in better shape in terms of his deep speed he would not have gotten beat as often.  Clearly the rules currently in the NFL do not allow him to hand fight as much as he used to and that hurts his game overall.  But he is experienced in the system and for currently gets $5 million only, that is pretty cheap.  Doubt we could even get Dre Kirkpatrick for that amount but who knows.   Basically saying not sure Kirkpatrick is an upgrade honestly and he is older and fare less experienced and accomplished at the position.  

The Bengals have run a somewhat similar scheme to the Vikes over the years I thought. Or did they change drastically after Zimmer left?

Guess I’d trust Kirkpatrick going forward over Rhodes, I’d expect to have to pay a bit more than the Rhodes deal but that’s probably a fair starting point.

44 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

You're right, got my years mixed up.  Sue me.

Yeah he's been a disappointment, mainly because he was a first round pick.  If he was a 6th round pick he'd be a great success.  He can start at corner in this league.

1 hour ago, theJ said:

And he lacks adequate ball skills for the position. The guy is consistently puts himself in a good position to make a play and can’t get his head around to find the ball.

58 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

and honestly is a better player all around than Dre Kirkpatrick

Honestly, debatable. Rhodes was dreadful last year. Kirkpatrick can still cover.