Bengals release CB Dre Kirkpatrick

TheVillain112

Just now, SmittyBacall said:

Honestly, debatable. Rhodes was dreadful last year. Kirkpatrick can still cover.

True, but I would not be surprised he if rebounds this year and gets in better shape aka physically runs better and is in better condition to do so consistently.  Rhodes has been an All Pro and Pro bowler, Kirkpatrick has never been even close to that good, so if one is talking same pay for both players no way I would take Kirkpatrick over him.  And again Rhodes is one year younger, has played more ball at a higher level and is clearly more experienced at the position.

Can Kirkpatrick really cover that well?  Trae Waynes has been a disappointment overall in his career, never really took his game to that next level and basically the Bengals go him and cut Kirkpatrick because one is better than the other.  I am saying if the Vikings to sign Kirkpatrick which I doubt, he is not better than what they got rid of in Rhodes.  Heck could argue overall in their total careers, Rhodes and Waynes are both better than Kirkpatrick now and in the future.    

That Bengals secondary is pretty interesting, Von Bell is a damn stud at safety and a great improvement, be curious what they do with Shawn Williams who is decent also.  Jessie Bates I have always liked especially coming out of Wake Forest.  Alexander has a lot of promise in the slot if he can stay healthy, Waynes is better than Kirkpatrick was and Jackson has his moments.  

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

True, but I would not be surprised he if rebounds this year and gets in better shape aka physically runs better and is in better condition to do so consistently. 

For some reason these large corners tend to hit a wall nearing their thirties and their game falls off a cliff quickly. I am doubtful Rhodes will rebound.

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Rhodes has been an All Pro and Pro bowler, Kirkpatrick has never been even close to that good, so if one is talking same pay for both players no way I would take Kirkpatrick over him.  And again Rhodes is one year younger, has played more ball at a higher level and is clearly more experienced at the position.

Better accolades? Sure. More accomplished? Sure. More experienced? Eh, not really. But I don’t think any of that matters. What matters is who is more effective right now. I would say Kirkpatrick is the safer option based on their most recent film. 

11 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Can Kirkpatrick really cover that well?

Yes, he’s a good cover man. The issue with Kirkpatrick are the other elements of his game. He’s a weak tackler and struggles will balls skills. He’s usually in good position to make a play but can’t find the ball - which makes him susceptible to penalties and giving up plays that he shouldn’t.

13 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Trae Waynes has been a disappointment overall in his career, never really took his game to that next level and basically the Bengals go him and cut Kirkpatrick because one is better than the other.

Funny enough, Waynes is very similar to Kirkpatrick. Both are tall, good cover men with poor ball skills, though Waynes is excellent versus the run and is younger than Kirkpatrick.

18 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

True, but I would not be surprised he if rebounds this year and gets in better shape aka physically runs better and is in better condition to do so consistently.  Rhodes has been an All Pro and Pro bowler, Kirkpatrick has never been even close to that good, so if one is talking same pay for both players no way I would take Kirkpatrick over him.  And again Rhodes is one year younger, has played more ball at a higher level and is clearly more experienced at the position.

Can Kirkpatrick really cover that well?  Trae Waynes has been a disappointment overall in his career, never really took his game to that next level and basically the Bengals go him and cut Kirkpatrick because one is better than the other.  I am saying if the Vikings to sign Kirkpatrick which I doubt, he is not better than what they got rid of in Rhodes.  Heck could argue overall in their total careers, Rhodes and Waynes are both better than Kirkpatrick now and in the future.    

That Bengals secondary is pretty interesting, Von Bell is a damn stud at safety and a great improvement, be curious what they do with Shawn Williams who is decent also.  Jessie Bates I have always liked especially coming out of Wake Forest.  Alexander has a lot of promise in the slot if he can stay healthy, Waynes is better than Kirkpatrick was and Jackson has his moments.  

If MN does end up with Kirkpatrick, id still be happy spending $8 million on Kirkpatrick plus possibly getting a 3rd round comp pick over the $14 million Waynes cost. Even if there is an age gap. Both are solid players. I’m still disappointed that they couldn’t get Alexander to return. Griffen for that matter too.