Bengals release CB Dre Kirkpatrick

TheVillain112

Not sure why they are so confident they will be able to trade guys everyone assumes they are going to release.  I think at this point we'll hold onto Dalton at least through the draft and see if anyone is desperate, but I doubt we get anything for him at this point.

Expected.  They had no reason to be in a hurry about it though.  I'm sure he'll find work.  He does pretty good work as a cover corner.  He's just getting up there in years, and avoids tackling like the coronavirus.  

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

Not sure why they are so confident they will be able to trade guys everyone assumes they are going to release.  I think at this point we'll hold onto Dalton at least through the draft and see if anyone is desperate, but I doubt we get anything for him at this point.

With talk of a shortened NFL season, I would assume that means cancelled or shortened OTAs and preseason. I would assume we hold onto Andy at this point. May even start him the first half of the season. 

1 hour ago, Carson4MVP said:

With talk of a shortened NFL season, I would assume that means cancelled or shortened OTAs and preseason. I would assume we hold onto Andy at this point. May even start him the first half of the season. 

I would be fine with Trading Dalton for a pick swap to trade back into the 3rd or 4th round...

2 hours ago, Carson4MVP said:

I wouldn't make that assumption.  Not without a restructured deal.  The Brown family does not like overpaying, and 17M for a backup QB is overpaying.

His day is coming.  The Bengals are just waiting for the right opportunity.

4 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

Andy did it. I’m sure Burrow will be fine 

Andy had an entire offseason to prepare. Burrow is going to have no rookie camps, limited if any OTAs and likely an abbreviated preseason. While Burrow is significantly more talented than Andy, let’s not pretend their off seasons will be anything alike. 

18 minutes ago, Carson4MVP said:

Andy had an entire offseason to prepare. Burrow is going to have no rookie camps, limited if any OTAs and likely an abbreviated preseason. While Burrow is significantly more talented than Andy, let’s not pretend their off seasons will be anything alike. 

Theoretically it’s not ideal because you’d like your QB to be prepared heading into the season, but what is the tangible downside of throwing Joe “to the wolves”? I’m not sure I believe in the sentiment that doing so stunts a QBs growth or hurts his confidence moving forward. Nor do I think there’s any evidence to support that. As long as he understands the playbook, the rest (chemistry, experiencing/learning defenses, etc.) he can learn on the fly as the season progresses. It’s not like we’re expected to make a run this season anyway. The sooner he takes his rookie lumps the better.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Carson4MVP said:

No he didn't, at least with the team.  The lockout was that year, and I can tell you the exact dates it started and ended....  It started my birthday (3/12) and ended on my sister's birthday (7/25).  Weird, right?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

No he didn't, at least with the team.  The lockout was that year, and I can tell you the exact dates it started and ended....  It started my birthday (3/12) and ended on my sister's birthday (7/25).  Weird, right?

I was going to post the same thing.  Their offseasons are going to be very similar.

14 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Theoretically it’s not ideal because you’d like your QB to be prepared heading into the season, but what is the tangible downside of throwing Joe “to the wolves”? I’m not sure I believe in the sentiment that doing so stunts a QBs growth or hurts his confidence moving forward. Nor do I think there’s any evidence to support that. As long as he understands the playbook, the rest (chemistry, experiencing/learning defenses, etc.) he can learn on the fly as the season progresses. It’s not like we’re expected to make a run this season anyway. The sooner he takes his rookie lumps the better.

I also agree with this.  He needs to play to learn, so get him out there.  Throwing Andy out there just prolongs his learning experience.  FWIW, i was fine with what they did with Carson back in the day.  And i somewhat believed in it.  But seeing the rookies lately come into the league and make an impact, i've reversed course on that sentiment.  I believe it's better to just get the guy out there so he can help and learn at the same time.

• Like 1