Which backup players can make the jump?

djdunkenstein

First of all, just like to say hi to everyone .. Ive had a few accounts and introduced myself and may do again. However emails and passwords being changed I had to create a new account on here...

Anyways.. with our free agency acquisitions and departures. I think we have done pretty well so far building depth and addressing some needs ( minus Fredbeard :( ) 

However I was curious to see who you guys are excited for next year that may breakout or have a better role .. here are who I am excited for 

1. Donovan Wilson - Very impressive preseason last year, looked like a steal early on. Injuries obviously slowed him down last year but great promise. 

2. Luke Gifford - Like Wilson, showed "some" promise last year in preseason but also bit the injury bug. I think learning from the general gives us extra hope he will turn the corner. 

3. Conner Mcgovern - Im just hopeful.. is all. Liked him coming out of Penn State, I think he can be decent. But we still do not know about him. Randomly came up with a pec injury if I do recall.. was this an injury or do they just need to redshirt him and put him in the weight room last year (haha) 

4. Trysten Hill - Thought he had a good motor out of the draft. But completely fell on his face. I feel like he needs a better veteran to mentor him and maybe we have that now with McCoy? All i remember was he was hanging with woods and got in trouble for being late (we all know woods likes the ganja too but hey its a new year with new rules so who knows) 

5. Cederick Wilson - Story of cowboys.. "if only" and injuries ... I think he runs nice routes, decent speed, and hands. Really liked him out of Boise ... just hope he can stay healthy 

Thoughts?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, djdunkenstein said:

First of all, just like to say hi to everyone .. Ive had a few accounts and introduced myself and may do again. However emails and passwords being changed I had to create a new account on here...

Anyways.. with our free agency acquisitions and departures. I think we have done pretty well so far building depth and addressing some needs ( minus Fredbeard :( ) 

However I was curious to see who you guys are excited for next year that may breakout or have a better role .. here are who I am excited for 

1. Donovan Wilson - Very impressive preseason last year, looked like a steal early on. Injuries obviously slowed him down last year but great promise. 

2. Luke Gifford - Like Wilson, showed "some" promise last year in preseason but also bit the injury bug. I think learning from the general gives us extra hope he will turn the corner. 

3. Conner Mcgovern - Im just hopeful.. is all. Liked him coming out of Penn State, I think he can be decent. But we still do not know about him. Randomly came up with a pec injury if I do recall.. was this an injury or do they just need to redshirt him and put him in the weight room last year (haha) 

4. Trysten Hill - Thought he had a good motor out of the draft. But completely fell on his face. I feel like he needs a better veteran to mentor him and maybe we have that now with McCoy? All i remember was he was hanging with woods and got in trouble for being late (we all know woods likes the ganja too but hey its a new year with new rules so who knows) 

5. Cederick Wilson - Story of cowboys.. "if only" and injuries ... I think he runs nice routes, decent speed, and hands. Really liked him out of Boise ... just hope he can stay healthy 

Re: The guys on your list

Donovan Wilson, Luke Gifford, and Cedrick Wilson just don't have a very clear path to significant playing time. Donovan Wilson is probably the only one of the 3 with a remote chance to win a starting job without needing an injury or 2 from other players, but that seems like a long shot.

The signing of Gerald McCoy tells you a lot about what they hope for from Trysten Hill. I remember reading that even Rod Marinelli had soured on him by the end of the season. I wouldn't hold my breath here. 

Conner McGovern - Yeah, dude is a player. Pretty sure the injury last year was real. He was talented enough to be a walk-in starter on probably 30 NFL teams last year. Would be shocked if he doesn't with a job in the starting 5.

Other possibilities

Jourdan Lewis - Could finally get his real shot with the new coaching staff

Blake Jarwin - Now the undisputed top dog at TE, could be in line for a really big year as a receiver

Dorance Armstrong - This one is a little bit of a dark horse, but there are lots of moving parts at DE. If the draft doesn't get us a top pass rusher, Armstrong will have an opportunity to show what he's got,

Like the dark horse pick. Realistically this is his 3rd year? He wasn't terrible last year and has grown each year. 

Jarwin - I hope so, all i know is start him in fantasy vs the Giants. That dude is sneaky fast.. I guess when you watch WItten fall forward for a few years now and see another TE actually run

Lewis - As of now he is starting with Chido. He has shined and he has great ball skills. 

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Re: The guys on your list

Donovan Wilson, Luke Gifford, and Cedrick Wilson just don't have a very clear path to significant playing time. Donovan Wilson is probably the only one of the 3 with a remote chance to win a starting job without needing an injury or 2 from other players, but that seems like a long shot.

The signing of Gerald McCoy tells you a lot about what they hope for from Trysten Hill. I remember reading that even Rod Marinelli had soured on him by the end of the season. I wouldn't hold my breath here. 

Conner McGovern - Yeah, dude is a player. Pretty sure the injury last year was real. He was talented enough to be a walk-in starter on probably 30 NFL teams last year. Would be shocked if he doesn't with a job in the starting 5.

Other possibilities

Jourdan Lewis - Could finally get his real shot with the new coaching staff

Blake Jarwin - Now the undisputed top dog at TE, could be in line for a really big year as a receiver

Dorance Armstrong - This one is a little bit of a dark horse, but there are lots of moving parts at DE. If the draft doesn't get us a top pass rusher, Armstrong will have an opportunity to show what he's got,

also excited for jelks and jackson at end.. two others that i forgot that come to mind 

• Like 1

On 3/31/2020 at 12:25 PM, djdunkenstein said:

Thoughts?

I hate that he was never giving the chance to see the field.. looked like a potential rare playmaker for us..