Mock Offseason Round 3

JetsDH23

Beyond bored working for home, so why not create another Mock. This one focuses more on the draft, with a few other things sprinkled in.

Cuts

Josh Bellamy: no longer needed

Brian Winters: Not really sure why he hasn't been cut yet. With the re-signing of Lewis & the signing of GVR, Winters constant penalties/missed blocks are no longer needed.

Jonotthan Harrison: Will not be needed after the draft.

Signings

Markus Golden-OLB: Really not sure how he hasn't been signed yet. With the way JD has worked free agency, I can see him getting a 1yr. prove it deal to see if he can replicate his numbers from last season.

Logan Ryan-CB: Another solid player who I'm shocked that hasn't been signed. Again, JD gives him a 1yr. deal. This signing helps bolster are secondary even more.

Blake Bortles-QB: The Jets need a backup QB. I don't see FA's like Cam, Flacco, & Jameis coming here so maybe they go with Bortles for 1yr. & address the position again next off season.

Trade

Jets send pick #79 & a 2021 4th to the Redskins for Trent Williams

This is something that needs to happen. Williams is still an elite LT & that is something the Jets desperately need. They have the $ to extend him & he still has plenty of gas left in the tank. This also allows the Jets to draft other needs, which you will see shortly.

Draft

Trades

Jets send pick #11 to the Eagles for pick #21, pick #52, & pick #127

The Eagles in this trade trade up to secure Jerry Jeudy with the Jets getting another 2nd/4th round pick to play around with.

Jets send pick #48 , pick #120, & pick #191 to the Saints for pick #24

The Jets move back into the 1st round to get a player they really want using the 2nd rounder obtained in the Eagles trade

#21: Josh Jones-OT-Houston: The Jets were supposedly very intrigued with Jones during the combine & I believe this is the type of OT that JD is looking for. Slides right in as a Day 1 starter.

#24: Cesar Ruiz-OC/OG-Michigan: The Jets were a strong team in the early 00's because of their OL & that all started when they drafted Brick & Mangold with back to back first round picks. JD follows that formula with this pick. With both McGovern & Ruiz capable of playing both center & guard, they can move either to the position that better suites them for the offense. This also slides Alex Lewis to a backup position which I think he is better suited for.

#52: Brandon Aiyuk-WR-ASU: I really like this guy & I think he'd be a big help in the offense. Not the biggest or fastest WR, but he just makes plays & that is something the Jets need.

#68: Michael Pittman Jr.-WR-USC: Just like the OL, the Jets double dip at WR. Pittman Jr. & Darnold already have a connection from their USC days & they build off of that in the NFL.

#127: Anthony McFarland Jr.-RB-Maryland: Most likely Lev Bell will be gone after this season (not a fan of this but I believe it is bound to happen). With that being said, the Jets need to start getting a contingency plan & McFarland starts that.

#158: K'Von Wallace-S-Clemson: Depth for the safety position.

#211: Reggie Robison II-CB-Tulsa: Big CB that GW can develop (kind of like Bless Austin)

Depth Chart

Offense

QB: Darnold, Bortles

RB: Bell, Adams, McFarland Jr.

WR: Perriman, Pittman Jr.

WR: Aiyuk, Smith

Slot: Crowder, Berrios

TE: Herndon, Griffin

LT: Williams, Fant

LG: Ruiz, Lewis

C: McGovern

RG: GVR, Lewis

RT: Jones, Edoga

Defense

DE: Anderson, Shepherd

NT: McLendon, Fatuski

DE: Williams, Phillips

OLB: Golden, Basham

ILB: Williamson, Hewitt, Cashman

ILB: Mosley, Onwuasor, Burgess

OLB: Jenkins, Langi

CB: Desir, Maulet, Robinson

CB: Ryan, Austin

Slot: Poole

SS: Adams, Wallace

FS: Maye

Thoughts

The signings prior to the draft allow the Jets to focus more on offense in the draft & the trade for Williams has JD able to make moves on draft day. JD comes from two organizations (Ravens/Eagles) that move up & down during the draft & that is something I can see him doing with the Jets. The OL is solidified & the WR positions gets an upgrade. With this happening, the Jets could then focus on CB/OLB next draft if needed. Let me know what you all thing.

This would definitely give us the deepest OL we’ve had in years. Just not sure we signed Fant to that contract to be a swing tackle but it’s totally possible.  Would also say a lot about what JD and Gase think of Edoga. 

Also scratching my head about Golden. He’s a ten sack guy that was on a horrible defense last year. I’m all for bringing him on board. 

• Like 1

Big fan

I don't know anything about Ruiz but unless he is a real elite talent at Center, I don't think we need to make him the pick at 24

Also, I have Pittman - would rather Bowden

But all in all, love the trades and the overall direction of the mock

My version:

#21: CB CJ Henderson

#24: OT Austin Jackson / OT

#52: WR Brandon Aiyuk

#68: WR Lynn Bowden Jr

I feel like that's a little TOO much OL. When our best OL from last year isnt starting I get suspicious.  I'd swap Ruiz for another WR and def think we need to pick up an edge rusher somewhere. 

My only issue is the Ruiz pick as I'd prefer more top-end wr talent or a top end edge guy. 

Other than that, it's fine. Not what I'd do, but I couldnt complain. 

Edited by KodiakThunder

34 minutes ago, KodiakThunder said:

I feel like that's a little TOO much OL. When our best OL from last year isnt starting I get suspicious.  I'd swap Ruiz for another WR and def think we need to pick up an edge rusher somewhere. 

My only issue is the Ruiz pick as I'd prefer more top-end wr talent or a top end edge guy. 

Other than that, it's fine. Not what I'd do, but I couldnt complain. 

After how poorly the Jets OL played last year, I don't think they can have enough OL. This mock was all about protecting Darnold & getting him weapons. I also personally think Alex Lewis is better as a backup & have 0 faith in Edoga.

4 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Trade for Trent and draft 2 OL and then bench a guy we gave 18M to. 

Pass.

If you want George Fant as the starting LT then be my guest. I'd actually like to see Sam stand upright this season.

4 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

It is hard to get one trade let alone 2. I just don't see it. When you put two trades in that made me lose interest in it. Sorry. 

Plenty of teams trade down then up during one draft. The Jets haven't done it because they have had incompetent GM's for what seems like the last decade but it can be done.

4 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Trade for Trent and draft 2 OL and then bench a guy we gave 18M to. 

Pass.

"Pass", something that Sam Darnold won't be able to do much of with the current OT situation. I don't know why you're so against a Trent Williams trade, but if he can be had for a 3rd round pick, I don't see why the Jets wouldn't do it. 

Fant wouldn't be bench, but moved to his more natural positions as a swing tackle, where I think he can excel. Also, his contract is more of a 1yr. deal & the Jets can get out of it after this season without having too much dead money on the cap.

Regarding the draft: like I said, they Jets have been their best when they have a stellar line. They have not had that since probably the 2010-2011 season & it's time they get back to that. GVR is on a 1yr. deal & like I said, I think Alex Lewis is better suited as a backup. Drafting guys like Jones/Ruiz can help solidify the OL for years to come.