Mock Offseason Round 3

JetsDH23

8 minutes ago, KodiakThunder said:

Assumption that a veteran isnt as good as a rookie? That's kinda unfair

And it is kind of unfair not to provide Sam Darnold with the best possibility to succeed. JD has shown early on that he wants to build a wall around Sam & I don't see him stopping that just because he signed guys like Fant, GVR, & McGovern. The Jets need an OL that's sustainable for years, not just a year or two.

10 minutes ago, JetsDH23 said:

If you want George Fant as the starting LT then be my guest. I'd actually like to see Sam stand upright this season.

It’s not about what I want and Fant from what I’ve researched played well as a LT. His issues came when he got hurt and flipped to the right side because they brought in Duane Brown to play LT. 

3 minutes ago, JetsDH23 said:

"Pass", something that Sam Darnold won't be able to do much of with the current OT situation. I don't know why you're so against a Trent Williams trade, but if he can be had for a 3rd round pick, I don't see why the Jets wouldn't do it. 

Fant wouldn't be bench, but moved to his more natural positions as a swing tackle, where I think he can excel. Also, his contract is more of a 1yr. deal & the Jets can get out of it after this season without having too much dead money on the cap.

Regarding the draft: like I said, they Jets have been their best when they have a stellar line. They have not had that since probably the 2010-2011 season & it's time they get back to that. GVR is on a 1yr. deal & like I said, I think Alex Lewis is better suited as a backup. Drafting guys like Jones/Ruiz can help solidify the OL for years to come.

You don’t sign a 30M swing tackle. Alex Lewis is a starter.

You want rookies and a dude with a bad neck protecting Darnold. 

3 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

3 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

? Lewis signed a 3 year 18m dollar contract. After 2020 he has no guaranteed money. Our cap hit will be under 1.7 million if he’s cut after this season.

the issue with this draft is no way no how would a team trade the 24th pick for 48, a 4th and a 6th (I don’t think even Mac would be that dumb.). It would be more like 48, 68 and 191

i think Ruiz will be a fine pro, but I would be very happy with Muti at 48 and utterly ecstatic if we got him at 68

1 hour ago, Rich51 said:

? Lewis signed a 3 year 18m dollar contract. After 2020 he has no guaranteed money. Our cap hit will be under 1.7 million if he’s cut after this season.

the issue with this draft is no way no how would a team trade the 24th pick for 48, a 4th and a 6th (I don’t think even Mac would be that dumb.). It would be more like 48, 68 and 191

i think Ruiz will be a fine pro, but I would be very happy with Muti at 48 and utterly ecstatic if we got him at 68

Too many suggestions are being made with only this season in mind. 

Example, trading for Trent Williams. 

Simply disregarding the moves JD has made already because some don’t like them and thinking he’s just gonna ignore them is ridiculous. He’s sticking to his plan. 

2 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Too many suggestions are being made with only this season in mind. 

Example, trading for Trent Williams. 

Simply disregarding the moves JD has made already because some don’t like them and thinking he’s just gonna ignore them is ridiculous. He’s sticking to his plan. 

No his moves shouldn’t be disregarded but I don’t think he paid Lewis enough money to eliminate completion for the position. If we draft a 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th round rookie that can beat out Lewis or anyone else on our OL, I’m sure JD would be just as happy. With his free agent signings I feel JD has given us pieces to maneuver.  Drafting an OT and either a G or C will give us more pieces and hopefully we can come up with 5 quality starters

55 minutes ago, Rich51 said:

No his moves shouldn’t be disregarded but I don’t think he paid Lewis enough money to eliminate completion for the position. If we draft a 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th round rookie that can beat out Lewis or anyone else on our OL, I’m sure JD would be just as happy. With his free agent signings I feel JD has given us pieces to maneuver.  Drafting an OT and either a G or C will give us more pieces and hopefully we can come up with 5 quality starters

He signed him to start, if he gets beat out then that's just the nature of competition but his expectation is for him to start, same for Fant, McGovern, Van Roten. Only one signed as a true back ATM is Andrews.

If he trades for Trent he clearly disregarded his first signing.

Fant plays better from the left both statistically and on film. He signed him as a LT, literally told him he will play on the left which is want Fant wants to do. So if uses a 3rd on Trent and gives him a contract he essentially wasted 9.25M this season on a player who wont/cant play. That is a terrible way to manage your assets/resources and you know what, he wasn't taught to do that and doesn't operate that way. That's how I know the Jets are not in on him and we're being used as bait.

1 hour ago, KingOfTheDot said:

He signed him to start, if he gets beat out then that's just the nature of competition but his expectation is for him to start, same for Fant, McGovern, Van Roten. Only one signed as a true back ATM is Andrews.

If he trades for Trent he clearly disregarded his first signing.

Fant plays better from the left both statistically and on film. He signed him as a LT, literally told him he will play on the left which is want Fant wants to do. So if uses a 3rd on Trent and gives him a contract he essentially wasted 9.25M this season on a player who wont/cant play. That is a terrible way to manage your assets/resources and you know what, he wasn't taught to do that and doesn't operate that way. That's how I know the Jets are not in on him and we're being used as bait.

I understand your point. But the Fant signing could have always been a prophylactic move. GM's will sometimes act as though a certain Avenue isnt available only to change course midway. 

The jets made minimal commitment to Fant after this season and have a lot of cap room/flexibility to spend 9m as a solid fallback option for a starter. Fant would also make a great swing tackle which cant be overlooked. Then next season he could be cut easily (assuming he doesnt start due to another LT coming in via trade/draft).

15 hours ago, JetsDH23 said:

Plenty of teams trade down then up during one draft. The Jets haven't done it because they have had incompetent GM's for what seems like the last decade but it can be done.

I disagree here. You don't see the big trades like you use too on draft day. If a team moves up or down the chance are very slim they move agin. Just look back in the last 5 years in the first 2 rounds. 

• 2 weeks later...