FFMD 20 Writers Room

EaglesPeteC

9ners seem to be quite the  hot bed for negotiations

They seem to be antsy for their trade partners to hurry up and decide on a deal however

whispers of Philly and Dallas NFC east foes being involved with Sunny SanFran

Edited by BucsDraftGeek47
  • Like 1

Frying up fish as is tradition in Wisconsin. Phone has been bumping with updates

New York Jets: 11th Overall: Mekhi Becton: B+

Mandelorian's never remove their helmets and Becton is a mammoth of a man. These things are known.
Mekhi is a welcome addition to anyones 'first off the bus' squad and while he wasn't the highest graded of the guys left for me, he's a good prospect and the only remaining Big 4 left.
The Jets roster holes aren't a secret to anyone so extra points for selecting a premium position. Hopefully this shores up the line after a bevy of offseason moves there. 

Las Vegas Raiders: 12th Overall: Cee Dee Lamb: A-

This is such a Raiders move... maybe rightly so. They're a fairly new squad in a new town. They're going splashy here and give the fans something to get excited for. Taking the best (or one of them depending who you ask) WR in a draft tabbed for its depth at that position is a fine way to do that. Make no mistake, that reported depth is the only reason Cee Dee is available at 12.

Denver Broncos: 13th Overall: Jerry Jeudy: B+

Again, Jeudy isn't available here most years. 

The trade was nearly dead even and important for SF as they need to stockpile those mid rounders. Kudos to both parties.
Now, trading up for a WR this year is gonna raise some eyebrows somewhere, and giving up a third rounder is tough.
But Denver has 3 more picks till 95, and if they want Lock to succeed they need more weapons. MGIII, Lindsey, Sutton, Jeudy, and Fant is a very respectable group.
They went after their guy.. hard to overly fault them

Detroit Lions: 14th Overall: Javon Kinlaw: A

I really, really like this move.

Again, I'm very impressed with these trades so far. First off, TB needed to move down after the mini-MIN firesale, and got great value in two early second rounders and an additional 5th.
They look like early winners for day 1. Know who else does? Detroit.

After dropping to five, gaining an early second rounder and both selecting a position of need AND the best available player... they package their trade down, jump back into the top 15 and get another freak in Kinlaw. The only thing getting run on is that sentence. 

Fantastic move. The board fell their way. 
Head coach must be ecstatic. Fanbase too. #draftdayistheirsuperbowl indeed.

San Francisco 49ers: 15th Overall: Henry Ruggs III: A-

Speaking of masterful board management....

9ers did great here. Lots of voices in that war room and they manage it very well.
It's no secret San Fran needs extra ammo in those mid rounds and they gain some here...as well as a consensus top 3 WR in Ruggs. 
Deebo and Ruggs is a gut punch for the rest of the NFC and with few holes on their roster this is a luxury pick. It's hard to hate on at all. And believe me, I really tried. 

• Like 7

Draft Grade Catch-Up Part 1!

11th Overall Pick of Mekhi Becton to the the New York Jets:

Grade - C

I have no reasonable certainty of what Mekhi Becton will be. None. I never really watched a lot of Jonathan Ogden in his prime, or any other super huge tackle. I can only compare the way that he throws people around like rag dolls to Larry Allen. But his running game footwork isn't really clean enough for outside zone stuff yet. If you are running a 2011 Greg Roman offense with a gap scheme that intends to beat the snot out of everyone in front of it, he fits beautifully. Becton almost never pass blocked in a traditional sense. Everything came off of play action or was a run. He has some promise in pass protection, but what Mekhi Becton really represents is a roll of the roulette wheel. You could end up with every unknown hitting and coming away with the guy that fits your scheme, whomps on people, and pass protects at a high level. The payout for that is immense. I just think that there are a whole lot of other rolls you could hit with that wheel and I want something more likely to pay out this high in the draft. 

12th Overall Pick of CeeDee Lamb to the Las Vegas Raiders:

Grade - A

This was not a hard pick for the Raiders. The way the board fell did a lot of the work for them. But I just love the way Lamb fits with Derek Carr. Carr has a low average depth of target you say? Why not do what the 49ers did for Jimmy G. and get him a YAC monster to run on crossers, overs, screens, and even some back shoulder stuff to turn those low average depth of target passes into huge gains? Jimmy G. rode the league's highest YAC on a very low average depth of target to a monster YPA figure. Now, if only the G man had the power to see linebackers all of the time and not get slants batted at the line of scrimmage…But I digress. I personally don't see the Hopkins comparison so much. Yes, they have very similar body types. But Lamb hasn't really shown the same ability to separate on classic man-to-man beater intermediate routes the way Hopkins does. He doesn't stick his foot in the ground and burst in another direction the way Hopkins does. Lamb to me is more like the nuclear bomb version of Deebo Samuel. Bigger, stronger, longer, more contested catches, even more broken tackles, many less drops! And I love me some Deebo, guys. 

13th Overall Pick of Jerry Jeudy to the Denver Broncos:

Grade - A

The Broncos moved up to get their guy. I knock this kind of move most of the time. Picking between players of a similar tier is always a crapshoot and moving up to get the team's guy rather than being okay saving assets and taking whoever falls can often be a futile endeavor. But the value given up wasn't too high and Jeudy is an absurdly awesome player. He separates. He does it through explosive cuts and multiple head fakes and threatening to immediately blow by guys at the line with a dangerous ten yard split in the 40. He YACs. Mostly by dodging and juking and slithering his way forward. He wins on third down, mostly from the slot, because people just can't hang with his ability to read the defense and change direction. He's a brilliant complement to the more linear and contested catch oriented Courtland Sutton. Jeudy is very likely to be worth the 15th pick and a cost controlled late third round pick. Now, is he worth Ruggs III and the 95th pick? A good question. I might take it just because there's a lot more tape of Jeudy and I can be more sure of his value. But it's a close call either way. 

14th Overall Pick of Javon Kinlaw to the Detroit Lions:

Grade - B-

The Lions make a fascinating move back up the draft board here. I really like Kinlaw as a prospect. He has abnormally long, strong arms that he loves to engage blockers with to control plays. He's quick and every once in a blue moon flashes the ability to chain that dominant long-arm move with a swim or a rip or even a spin. He's a plus run defender. He dominated the Senior Bowl. But my concern is that he's a little stiff and a little one note. I think you are going to get a quality player with him, but I'm not sure he's ever going to be really dominant. And I'm really not sure that he's going to be worth both what you might get at the top of the second at the same position (Marlon Davidson? Jordan Elliott?) and an additional second round pick. I mean, Marlon didn't really play 3T at college, but he dominated the Senior Bowl just about as much as Kinlaw did. Elliott posted a higher pass rush win rate their final year in college. But I'll be relatively lax on the Lions here because coming away with Okudah and Kinlaw with their first and second round picks' worth of value is excellent work. I just think that they could have hit a third home run if they stayed pat. 

15th Overall Pick of Henry Ruggs III to the San Francisco 49ers

Grade - A

The attributes that Emmanuel Sanders brought to the 49ers were sure hands, explosive deep speed as the team's primary home run weapon, and an additional way to win on third down. Henry Ruggs takes care of at least two of these attributes. His hands are among the surest in this draft. And he's the fastest wide receiver in this draft. Done and done. When looking at the monster top speed WRs - your John Rosses and your DeSean Jacksons, your Ted Ginns and your Mike Wallaces, your Tavon Austins and your Santonio Holmeses, a few things stand out. One, you want to get drafted by the Steelers. And two, the top speed wide receivers usually fail because they are too frail, have medical problems, have bad hands, or have a complete inability to run NFL routes. Ruggs only worries me on the medical side because he picked up a (by most accounts small) undisclosed injury at the combine and had a history of niggling problems throughout his Alabama career. Unlike most of the bad examples of the WRs mentioned above, Ruggs is solidly built, tough in blocking and fighting through contact, has immaculate hands, and runs solid NFL quality routes. He isn't Jerry Jeudy in that regard, but hey, who is? The only other concern with Ruggs is the lack of volume at the college level. All I can say is, the target competition at Alabama was immense. I can't say for certain that with more NFL targets he will retain his per-target value, but I think that either way it is likely that he stays close enough to that per-target value to be worth this pick.

• Like 5

Draft Catch-Up Part II!

16th Overall Pick of K’Lavon Chaisson to the Atlanta Falcons:

Grade - B

I know that the first thing that people tend to write about K'Lavon Chaisson is his length and bend as a pass rusher. And he's a fascinating ball of clay in that regard. But I just love his motor and work ethic. He's constantly busting his butt on the backside of plays to make things happen. He bursts hard off the snap just about every time. He almost never dogs plays. He's better at setting edges and fighting through blocks than people give him credit for. I think he has value outside of being a pass rusher. Which is good! Because he's very raw there. He has a nice long arm and swipe move and dips low well as a counter to that, but almost never counters back inside with either speed to power, swim, spin, or even a dart back inside with little technical refinement. That's a bit of a red flag for me. I prefer guys to have a speed to power counter because I think that it is more consistent, but I think that you need something back inside. Last year, Bosa went speed to power, Josh Allen regularly darted back inside, and Brian Burns had a nasty spin move. You need more at the NFL level to be valuable on first contract as a pass rusher than Chaisson has shown so far. But I think that he can do a bit of everything as an edge on first contract to merit this pick and develop into something truly special later down the road. Because he does have the burst and the bend and seems to have the work ethic. I just think that there are still players available that are worth more than your average 16th pick still on the board.

17th Overall Pick of C.J. Henderson to the Dallas Cowboys:

Grade - A

This is one of those guys that I think is worth more than your average 17th pick. C.J. Henderson is the second best man corner in the draft behind Jeffrey Okudah. He's very sticky, breaks up a lot of passes, and has quality technique in press coverage. I have Kristian Fulton rated slightly higher for a team like the Cowboys that mixes man and zone regularly - his 2018 tape was absolutely dynamite and he is better at reading zone keys than Henderson, but I otherwise can't fault the pick.

18th Overall Pick of Josh Jones to the Miami Dolphins:

Grade - B

The Miami Dolphins need pass protectors. Jones actually pass protected a lot in college and was utterly dominant, but rarely faced competition that could challenge him. That's the question - do his feet and arms which were too quick and too long respectively for the edge rushers he faced still hold up when the going gets a lot tougher? He was not that great in the Senior Bowl and that gave me personally some qualms. Ezra Cleveland and Austin Jackson tested better as athletes in the Combine, but Cleveland has the same competition question and dominated the guys he faced far less than Jones did. Jackson had issues in pass protection in the Pac-12 at times and his technique is very raw. Jones is probably the best tackle on the board and this is probably where his value lies, but the pick is not without risk. 

19th Overall Pick of Xavier McKinney to the Carolina Panthers:

Grade - F- or A+

Ummm…this is either bonkers or evil genius depending on your point of view. If you are intending to play this as a simalucrum of real life, then it is insane. Far, far too much is being bet on contending immediately. McKinney is a quality versatile piece - a poor man's less athletic Derwin James that can play strong safety, slot corner, and even fill in deep from time to time but he cannot ever be worth the value given up. He doesn't move the needle from the Panthers being a bottom third team to a playoff team and the Panthers would be likely to pick at least this low again if not lower. And they'd also be throwing in a quality second round pick for good measure. They would have no chance at replacing Bridgewater next year if he fails. However, if you look at it as gaming our mock draft system, the Panthers did brilliantly. They traded assets literally worth nothing (they almost certainly won't be stuck in the GM mock draft next year forfeiting the picks they do this year) to grab virtual Xavier McKinney. And virtual Xavier McKinney is a hella collection of bits. More power to them?!?

Edited by JIllg
Spelling
  • Like 1

Note for the Writers, we picked Chaisson because the role of SLB in Atlanta is closer to a 3-4 SOLB than a traditional SLB. Chaisson will play that role and will be moved around a lot in nickel packages as we will run more 3-3-5 and 2-4-5 amoeba style looks in the front 6 in those situations to create angles. He will also spend all of the remainder of this offseason working on inside counters for stunts and etc. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, scar988 said:

Note for the Writers, we picked Chaisson because the role of SLB in Atlanta is closer to a 3-4 SOLB than a traditional SLB. Chaisson will play that role and will be moved around a lot in nickel packages as we will run more 3-3-5 and 2-4-5 amoeba style looks in the front 6 in those situations to create angles. He will also spend all of the remainder of this offseason working on inside counters for stunts and etc. 

Yeah Chaission would pretty much slide into the role Vic Beasley was supposed to play right?

• Like 1

Also, as HC, I really love the #18s from LSU. They have to be good all around people with heart and work ethic. They’re the overall team captain for the team. Chaisson showed that this season. And a team captain from a championship season is the kind of leadership we’ve been missing on this defensive line. Tons of lead by example guys but need some vocal leadership now. And he can bring that. 

• Like 1

Atlanta Falcons: 16th Overall: K'Lavon Chaisson: B

Falcons obviously need a pass rusher here and this is a guy consistently mocked to them. Honestly, which team 10-30 is disappointed if they end up with K'Lavon in the first? He's just that instant fan favorite mold. Premium positions cost premium picks. This fits value wise and there is certainly a need there. Ground rule double, not a homerun. Kinda figured they were going another route here but if I'm a Falcons fan I'm not overly surprised or disappointed. 

Dallas Cowboys: 17th Overall: CJ Henderson: A

Dallas has holes to fill and CJ has been BPA for about 5 picks now. He's kind of an action pick so it makes sense for Dallas. What else do i need to say here? See a need, fill a need... BIGWELD.

Miami Dolphins: 18th Overall: Josh Jones B-

I like Josh Jones. I really do. I think this is about where you see him going. But something about this board management from Miami... you have 14 picks! And I know there's holes to fill, I understand that. I cant help but feel there's some value left on the table here. Herbert and Jones at 6 and 18 I just.... ehh. Unimpressive, I guess. Is that a word? Like I didn't puke in my mouth. But I almost did, you feel? Like it made it up my throat but I wouldn't call it regurgitation. You're welcome for the imagery. 

Carolina Panthers: 19th Overall: Xavier McKinney: D

A 2021 1st and 2nd rounder for.... McKinney? 
It's not that I don't see him first off the board for safeties.. I think that's a legit possibility with Grant's tackling woes and Winfield's injury stuff but a 1ST AND 2ND ROUNDER for XAVIER MCKINNEY.... AT 19?!?! Maybe if Brown fell to 19. Maybe. Or a prospect of that magnitude. Possibly Love? I'm grasping at straws here. And not even those nice metal ones that supposedly save sea turtles. The crappy dollar store brand... and they were all made in Wuhan.

Jacksonville Jaguars: 20th Overall: Justin Jefferson: B

This is a good enough get for the Jags. Probably the 4th best WR depending on who you ask... and it really just depends how you feel about Minshew. 
I'm not sold.. and there are some QBs left teams are just going to LOVE... Maybe some CB left you could really FULt ON,  DIGGs.  But I digress.
Brown and Jefferson is solid if unspectacular. I'm not upset. You are.

• Like 2