FFMD 20 Writers Room

EaglesPeteC

2 minutes ago, festiveonion said:

After a late trade last night the LA CHARGERS are on the clock. Most armchair experts think they're going Tua here. 

As for myself, I'm sitting in a recliner.

Tua would be a great get for the Chargers. And shame on the Dolphins for not making it happen themselves, in this particular beat writer's humble opinion. They had more ammunition.

Edited by JIllg
Quote fail

23 minutes ago, festiveonion said:

Skins are apparently content going wire to wire on this one. 
Rumormill has it they're trying to doctor up a picture to keep par with that Bengals Burrow announcement masterpiece

It's impossible to beat the Bengals announcement, though I'm sure many will try.

Chargers go Tua at 3. 

Detroit receive quite the reasonable haul

The Lions receive:

Pick #6
Pick #37
Pick #112
2021 3rd round pick

The Chargers receive:

Pick #3

And for the grade you probably don't want and definitely don't need:

Los Angeles Chargers: 3rd Overall: Tua Tagovailoa: B+

Listen, the injury notwithstanding, this is a move up for a player that grades out as a consensus top 5 dude. 
The Chargers gave up a lot to move up three spaces.. that being said we've seen teams mortgage their future for a chance at a QB. Which LAC definitively, DIDN'T do here.
This is a good move for both teams. 

• Like 1

3rd Overall Pick of Tua Tagovailoa to the Chargers:

Grade - A+

Brilliant work by the Chargers' front office. In general trades up for a quarterback always involve an extra first round pick, especially when trades this far up happen. Trade value charts rarely tell the tale when a quarterback is involved. Sometimes, it's a package of a ton of second round picks like the Colts got from the Jets for Sam Darnold. The Chargers managed to get their guy without surrendering such a haul of assets. For the Lions, it is going to work out well - they'll probably get their guy Jeffery Okudah anyways, while picking up a lot of draft capital. They almost certainly took the best offer on the table, but I don't think the package they got should have been the best offer. Tua Tagovailoa is a #1 pick worthy quarterback (albeit with a scary injury history). But the hip injury he suffered usually involves a full recovery if the blood supply to the hip isn't interrupted (a la Bo Jackson). I'd be most worried about his ankles to be honest. Anyhow, that being said, terrific job. Quarterback prospects like Tua are rare, rare assets. Now, if only the Chargers had an offensive line to go with Tua, a formidable set of weapons, and a very talented defense.

Edited by JIllg
Forgot a point on first entry.

Wondering when Love is going to play into this. A source tells me they're willing to jump into the top 10 for him should Herbert go soon. 

Another source telling me they much prefer Love over Herbert. They think Justin is a pretty boy... and Ducks are dumb mascots.

3 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Looks like Giants are not biting on either the Jags or the Panthers offers and may stick at 4

Jags and Panthers may luck out here if they were offering significant packages for Herbert. I kind of like Herbert, but I don't think he's providing you top quarterback value until his second contract (I have his nearest comp as Ryan Tannehill). Such a player simply isn't worth the haul that guys who can be reasonably expected to be top quarterbacks right away have, because they aren't worth extra cost controlled assets while on their rookie contract the way a Mahomes is (or I project Burrow and Tua to be).

I'm hearing from an anonymous source close to the Lions-Dolphins negotiations that the Lions were looking for a similar package to the one they received from the Chargers - a first, second, third, and tacos (or Taco Charlton, the source could not specify). The value of tacos is incalculable, but I still think the Dolphins should have been all over that deal.