FFMD 20 Writers Room

EaglesPeteC

Giants trade

Overall: 4 | New York Giants

Overall: 99 | New York Giants

Panthers trade

Overall: 7 | Carolina Panthers

Overall: 38 | Carolina Panthers

Quite a get for the Giants. Pick up a 2nd rounder and only move down 3 slots in the process. 

Panthers OTC. We'll see if they tab Simmons heir apparent at ILB or go a different direction.

• Like 1

There it is. Simmons #4 to Carolina.

And for the ranking you didn't need and probably don't care about:

Carolina Panthers: 4th Overall: Isaiah Simmons B

Panthers give up a lot to move up for a non-premium position. Don't hate this pick. Don't love it either.
Simmons was one of the best available at this slot. Still, this smells more like a ground rule double than a homerun. 

• Like 2

4th Overall Selection of Isaiah Simmons to the Carolina Panthers:

Grade C (in spite of loving the player)

Isaiah Simmons gets a lot of comps. Kam Chancellor. Giant Derwin James. Smaller, faster Brian Urlacher. My personal favorite is Patrick Willis. He's a heck of a football player. I think he's going to be a terrific modern day MIKE linebacker for the Panthers. However, I don't think that even at his ceiling he's going to be worth the fourth slot and a second round pick that is cost controlled for the team. Kuechly and Willis were terrific players and they probably didn't get you there. If Simmons plays more like, say, Roquon Smith on his rookie contract - a good but not dominant linebacker, then this trade is going to be quite bad for the Panthers. Only time can tell. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, festiveonion said:

Sources say they're hoping one of the QBs falls to 18.

3 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Dolphins don't seem to be enamored by Herbert. I'm not expecting them to go QB here, which I think could be a mistake

I don't mind them not being interested in Herbert here - I've made my position on him known when the trade talks for the fourth overall pick were underway - but I don't think they should expect either quarterback to be there at 18. Someone will like them, even if I'm personally not sold.

1 minute ago, EaglesPeteC said:

The Lions war room is heartbroken after the Panthers jumped up for Simmons. They seem to be scrambling now

Very interesting. That sounds like a sign that they are lower on Okudah than most.