Essential Employee mock

Dubz41

Trapped at work with the 'essential' tag. 

Anyway,  here's what boredom will do to you.  We really don't have any money left for FA.  So straight to the draft.

I don't think WR is going to be very high on the list in the first round.  Not only did we sign Funches we also have Begelton and the anticipated step up from either EQ or MVS.

We didn't sign any DL so that kind of zooms up the list.  This mock was done using CBS Composite board and the comments are from NFL.com.

R1 P30 DE A.J. EPENESA

The size and production should force all evaluators to dial their focus in on what he's best at rather than any perceived areas of concern. He has average instincts against the run and is a step slow to shed, but he's strong at the point and he does his job. Epenesa won't just out-run tackles to the edge, but he's a skilled rusher whose diversity of attack, skilled hands and unique bull-rushing instincts could help him deliver his college sack production in the pros. He can play end in a 4-3 or 3-4 and could leap from good to great with additional work on technique and explosiveness.

R2P30 WR/TE CHASE CLAYPOOL NOTRE DAME 6’4” 240

The comparison to former teammate Miles Boykin is an easy one since both have elite size and explosiveness, but Claypool has a higher ceiling and is a little more pro-ready. Claypool doesn't have shake to get much separation underneath, but he's physical inside the route and is adept at making contested catches when needed. He has size/strength/speed to bedevil singled up cornerbacks on 50/50 deep balls. He's a vertical challenger outside, a possession receiver as a big slot, an outstanding run blocker and immediate coverage ace on special teams. His elite traits and diverse skill set could allow him to create a unique footprint as a pro

.R3P30 OT JACK DRISCOLL AUBURN 6’5”  310 

There will be teams who scratch Driscoll off their lists completely due to a lack of length and play strength, but zone-scheme teams who covet athleticism over brawn might take a look. He will need to add real mass and muscle in order to have a shot. His athleticism shouldn't be overstated, but he does have range as a run blocker and in pass protection. Driscoll has some pass protection ability that can be further cultivated, but he's scheme limited as a run blocker. His short arms could cause teams to view him as a developmental guard with tackle value in a pinch.

R4P30 LB LOGAN WILSON WYOMING 6’2” 240 

Ultra-productive three-year team captain with instincts and cover talent to find work as an every-down linebacker. His play recognition, burst and lateral agility help him play faster than his timed speed and his fundamentals as a tackler are as good as you'll find in this draft. Wilson needs more consistency of approach at taking on blocks and it may take him a minute to adjust to NFL game speed. He should be a core special teams member early, but possesses the tangibles and intangibles to become a productive pro as an inside or SAM (strong-side) linebacker.

R5P29 CB REGGIE ROBINSON II TULSA 6’1” 205

Robinson has been a staple in the Tulsa secondary since his redshirt freshman season in 2016, when he started seven of 13 games and recorded 37 tackles and seven pass breakups. He started 11 of 12 games in 2017, leading the team with nine pass breakups (38 total tackles, 2.5 for loss). An injury disrupted Robinson's junior year, however, as he played eight games (19 tackles, five pass breakups, four starts). Robinson bounced back for his senior campaign, garnering first-team All-American Athletic Conference honors after leading his squad with four interceptions and 13 pass breakups. He also posted 38 tackles, one for loss, and two fumble recoveries. The son of a former Grambling State football player also blocked a kick in each of his four seasons.

R6P13 WR ANTONIO GIBSON MEMPHIS 6’0” 225

"Big athlete with position versatility" will be a tag from some, but it's vague and lacks projection. While Gibson is a one-year wonder, his 14 career touchdowns on just 77 touches demand attention. He played more slot than running back in college, but he was a runner in high school and has an intriguing combination of size, burst, vision and power. He is a four-phase player on Day 1 with the ability to return kicks, cover them and create matchup problems for linebackers out of the backfield. The sample size is extremely limited and he needs a developmental runway, but Gibson has exciting upside as a pro.

R6P29 RB DARRYNTON EVANS APP. ST. 5’10” 205

Slashing outside-zone runner with glide in his stride and ability to run with elusiveness and creativity. Evans is a little undersized and might be viewed as a change-of-pace option, but he appears to have the three-down skill set to handle committee carries. He can run with patience, but has the loose hips and agile feet to plant-and-go in a hurry. He sees the field and does a nice job of setting up and eluding tacklers with lateral cuts or stacked moves. While he's confident in space, Evans lacks the commitment and finishing force to make a living inside the tackles. His third-down and kick-return versatility increases the likelihood that Evans will hear his name called in the middle rounds with a chance to become a solid RB2.

R6P30 DL MCTELVIN AGIM ARKANSAS 6’3” 310

Agim is a work in progress with only one season as a full-time defensive tackle after playing defensive end previously. While his technique and fundamentals are still in a developmental stage as an interior defender, elements like hand placement and ball awareness are expected at defensive end, so it is a little disappointing they are behind. He has snap quickness to become a better one-gap penetrator and rush talent to build upon if he can attack with a better plan and more urgency. He's not strong enough to withstand NFL power at the point of attack so development of strength and technique will be critical if he is to become a rotational 4-3 defensive tackle.

R7P22  OL YASIR DURANT  MISSOURI  6’6” 330 

Big, long three-year starter who will likely be evaluated as a right tackle but could offer swing tackle or guard value on the next level. Durant is somewhat limited as a mover and isn't going to excite many teams as a run blocker, but his length and anchor strength in pass protection is what will be most appealing. He can handle garden variety pass rushers but might need a quarterback who gets it out on time due to issues against edge speed. Durant has good backup to slightly below average starter potential.

R7P28  S/LB  TANNER MUSE  CLEMSON  6’2” 227 

Slow-footed safety with hybrid linebacker tendencies. Muse plays with tight, restricted movement that lacks necessary fluidity to handle coverage duties as an NFL safety and he'll likely be asked to slide into a full-time linebacker role. He already has linebacker size and his frame should be able to handle additional weight if needed. His field agility and short-area athleticism aren't anything special despite moving over from safety. Muse's ability to cover tight ends and handle four-phase special teams duties improve his chances of making the backend of a roster.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'll be honest, I'm not sure what part of Espenesa seems like a good fit for us?

Because sometimes you just need to put down the stopwatch and analytics and just watch.

Epenesa is the antithesis of Gary.  All production, the guy is just an NFL player.  We need some of those.

47 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

After the first it's clear someone is definitely paying attention to RAS.

Honestly, I just tried to get guys who I thought seemed like future Packers.  Versatility played a huge part.

Epenesa should be able to slide inside for reps at DT;  Claypool could open up the middle seam routes.  Driscoll isn't ready yet, but it allows us to dump Wagner after one year.  Wilson is a three down LB.  Gibson could see reps at RB along with WR and STs.

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

5 tech? Can't see how that's a stretch? 

Anyone, love the mock. Some of my personal late round faves in here. Not sure they all last that long but hell yeah if they do.

I know you liked Evans a lot.  Didn't plan on him, but there he was.  Durant and Muse are position changes,  why not in the 7th.

I like it to.  

First pick is a little bit of a headscratcher, but the guy can play and I believe he is physical.  I think he's versatile enough to play the EDGE in some sets and stout enough to flip inside and that is probably where he would make his money.  I think he (Espinosa) was asked about this and he said he hasn't done it much, but he is willing to do it.  I don't love the fit from his measurables, but I do like the player very much.

And the later rounds are money.  

Epenesa can play 3-tech. He has both the length and strength for it and he wins with his hands as well. He constantly took on double teams at Iowa and was able to fight his way through them. Sure, he could stand to add a little bulk, but he's got the frame for it and could eventually become a DeForest Buckner/Arik Armstead type of DL. Personally, I'd go Madubuike here at 30 if I didn't trade back and THEN select him or Reagor. Think we could do better than Driscoll in the 3rd. Is Gibson a RB or a WR? I've seen him listed as one or the other so I'm a bit confused. I think Durant in the 7th would be a good flier pick. Evans will go a lot sooner than people think. The only real knock on him is his level of competition FWIW.

Better than most mocks that have been posted here recently. Good work.

1 minute ago, Joe said:

Epenesa can play 3-tech. He has both the length and strength for it and he wins with his hands as well. He constantly took on double teams at Iowa and was able to fight his way through them. Sure, he could stand to add a little bulk, but he's got the frame for it and could eventually become a DeForest Buckner/Arik Armstead type of DL. Personally, I'd go Madubuike here at 30 if I didn't trade back and THEN select him or Reagor. Think we could do better than Driscoll in the 3rd. Is Gibson a RB or a WR? I've seen him listed as one or the other so I'm a bit confused. I think Durant in the 7th would be a good flier pick. Evans will go a lot sooner than people think. The only real knock on him is his level of competition FWIW.

Better than most mocks that have been posted here recently. Good work.

Epenesa is a leagues better football player than Madubuike. Not really close.

• Like 2

Just now, Joe said:

No argument there, just don't think Epenesa will be there at 30.

I don't even think Mads is a top 50 player in this draft. Watch the Alabama tape if you want to see a player way out of his league against a quality OL. Hope he's graded as a 2/3rd rounder on our board.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Lol so every 5 tech is bad now?

Don't draft Jonathan Taylor...cause Ron Dayne.

No.  I'm just not a huge fan of drafting positional tweeners, and expecting them to put on 20 pounds and not lose functional athleticism.  The same damn thing could be said about Datone Jones that we're saying about Epenesa.