TACT XX: One X Short Of A Good Time - Thanks Corona

D82

Any wood workers in here? I've been thinking about some new hobbies with everything going on, and since I have summers off as a teacher, figured I'd look into some summer projects. Was watching videos of people making tables and stuff out of wood - so I wanted to see if anyone in here knows anything about that?

I haven't named a TACT in years and years. A real honor you guys.

27 minutes ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

Any wood workers in here? I've been thinking about some new hobbies with everything going on, and since I have summers off as a teacher, figured I'd look into some summer projects. Was watching videos of people making tables and stuff out of wood - so I wanted to see if anyone in here knows anything about that?

Not officially but i work on a small farm so over the years I've built enough random crap that I know enough to be dangerous. Built plenty of step benches, pergolas, arbors etc. 

15 hours ago, Ace5 said:

I haven't named a TACT in years and years. A real honor you guys.

Not officially but i work on a small farm so over the years I've built enough random crap that I know enough to be dangerous. Built plenty of step benches, pergolas, arbors etc. 

So these dudes on YouTube have like 80 tools, and I’m not about to invest that much money in power tools. What do you think is necessary to make basic stuff?

57 minutes ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

So these dudes on YouTube have like 80 tools, and I’m not about to invest that much money in power tools. What do you think is necessary to make basic stuff?

On the most basic level, an impact driver/drill set with associated bits, a miter saw and a jigsaw will accomplish simple construction and minor detail work. I really like having a circular saw and a table saw in that combo as well but most circular saw tasks can be accomplished ahead of time by a miter saw if you have the foresight to plan ahead. Circular saw is a great "oh crap" tool tho. Table saw is great for customizing widths of different cuts but unnecessary if you just plan on using standard lumber yard sizes. Belt/palm Sanders are incredibly handy for large projects with lots of rough cuts (e.g. table saw projects) but a square of sandpaper and elbow grease will work for cleaning edges up on most projects.

What are you thinking of doing?

1 hour ago, Ace5 said:

On the most basic level, an impact driver/drill set with associated bits, a miter saw and a jigsaw will accomplish simple construction and minor detail work. I really like having a circular saw and a table saw in that combo as well but most circular saw tasks can be accomplished ahead of time by a miter saw if you have the foresight to plan ahead. Circular saw is a great "oh crap" tool tho. Table saw is great for customizing widths of different cuts but unnecessary if you just plan on using standard lumber yard sizes. Belt/palm Sanders are incredibly handy for large projects with lots of rough cuts (e.g. table saw projects) but a square of sandpaper and elbow grease will work for cleaning edges up on most projects.

Gotcha, that's what I had kind of heard for some necessary/handy tools. I was going to start with something small like a side table, but eventually I'd like to build an office desk or something like that. Just some summer projects that will help pass the time until the next school year.

29 minutes ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

Gotcha, that's what I had kind of heard for some necessary/handy tools. I was going to start with something small like a side table, but eventually I'd like to build an office desk or something like that. Just some summer projects that will help pass the time until the next school year.

A circular saw would be fine for a side table to save the cost of a miter saw as long as you're fine with the look of straight cuts or have a real steady hand. Could even get a circular saw driver drill kit with batteries might save a couple bucks.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

My .02 is if you’re a weekend warrior, and just farting around with small projects, don’t buy new. You should to look to buy your tools used. Craigslist, letgo, and pawn shops are great. Stick to one brand, so your batteries are interchangeable. You may have to buy new blades for some stuff, but it really helps knock dollars off the initial buy price. And if you need that one off specialty tool, ask around. You’ll be surprised what your friends and families have kicking around, and I’m sure they’ll be willing to let you borrow.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ace5 said:

Don't forget the tape measure.

6 hours ago, Ace5 said:

A circular saw would be fine for a side table to save the cost of a miter saw as long as you're fine with the look of straight cuts or have a real steady hand. Could even get a circular saw driver drill kit with batteries might save a couple bucks.

Damn.....I'm having a brain cramp....but a nice straight edge that you can clamp to the wood to use as a guide. As in for the circular saw to ride against for a nice straight cut. And the blade should be a small toothed blade. Forget how many teeth are on an 8" blade. You'll get a cleaner cut as opposed to a "big toothed" blade. It's been along time since I've purchased some of these items so I can't remember the full names/descriptions and to lazy at the moment to google. But you get the idea.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

The more you do the more you're going to look around and possibility of getting frustrated and wish you had more tools. You will be making trips to the hardware stores. It's going to be hard to not go crazy to. There are a lot nice and very cool tools for woodworking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HDsportsfan said:

Damn.....I'm having a brain cramp....but a nice straight edge that you can clamp to the wood to use as a guide. As in for the circular saw to ride against for a nice straight cut. And the blade should be a small toothed blade. Forget how many teeth are on an 8" blade. You'll get a cleaner cut as opposed to a "big toothed" blade. It's been along time since I've purchased some of these items so I can't remember the full names/descriptions and to lazy at the moment to google. But you get the idea.

It's the little things you take for granted. Had about 6 straight edges for so long I forget that not everyone has one. 100% right. Straight edge, tape measure, a fistful of pencils before anything else.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

In the grand scheme of things it doesn’t really matter cause of all the other crap going on, but my google account was hacked and everything is gone. I wrote over 140 reports on draft prospects that I was going to put in here but it’s all gone.

What the ****

• Like 1