TACT XX: One X Short Of A Good Time - Thanks Corona

D82

On 5/2/2020 at 4:10 AM, canadaluvsdallas said:

Fellas I need some life advice. I'm thinking of doing a career switch. My accounting job pays well but honestly sitting at a desk is draining the life out of me.

Thinking of going into bartending? I love talking and meeting people so I think that's why my accounting profession is killing me.

Anyone of the older guys want to share thier advice? I'm 25

If you are in a good financial situation (ie no major debts), I am all on board with giving it a shot.  However, the timing now and for the next few months is not going to be great, if you have steady income in this environment, you just can't give that up to chase a dream.  I would wait until this COVID runs its course.  And yes you will likely have to start at the bottom, bar backing or something, but that is no different than other careers.  Depending on how grueling your job is, you could try part time work as a bartender, but what I can tell you from experience is late nights + a 5 day work week is a recipe for disaster and I am not even big a sleeper, plus your big money nights are weekends which are rarely PT people so you''d have to likely to PT work on a work day. 

I bartended when I was younger, only as a summer gig and it was great and I am not even the most social person, but on a good summer weekend (granted it was a beach area) I would make a solid cash take home, had I been smarter I could have set myself up better. And despite what others are saying here, I do know a few full time bartenders who have families.  If you are smart about your money it doesn't matter what you do, there is no need to have to be a "professional anything".  But you do need to be very responsible and understand risks that are out of your control (like another COVID situation). 

Other roles I can think of where you may have a lot of people interactions but you still remain in the corporate setting: 

Consulting, Recruiting, Sales/Marketing (medical field I know if a lot of people to people work), Real estate brokerage (can start to do this while still working),  

The best part about your current role, is I believe you could step away and then get back into it (will not be easy) but I have seen my father in law do this a few times (accountant, construction, accountant, construction).  You would likely have to start from the bottom again and maybe while exploring other roles you'd have to try and keep your skills up to date to stay current with the industry. 

21 hours ago, Ace5 said:

Every time I catch myself getting mad about working right now I tell myself exactly this. Then I remember that unemployment doesn't provide health insurance or benefits like my employer, and thank my lucky stars I'm still working.

Yea that is the right take, so many people just think the fact they are getting close to or even in some cases more gross money is going to keep them ok moving forward, but they forget about benefits (assuming you had them to begin with). 

• Like 1