TACT XX: One X Short Of A Good Time - Thanks Corona

D82

3 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

The Woodlands & Spring I don't consider part of Houston. I love old town Spring - makes for a great date area.

So I agree, those areas are nice, especially The Woodlands. 

I came close to buying property in The Woodlands a few times but chose not to. Instead, my wife and I are looking at vacation properties in Hawaii, New Orleans or Tampa. We’ll likely choose between one of those three locations.

Edited by plan9misfit

1 hour ago, Runaway Jim said:

Drive back through Austin and get some food from Valentina’s Tex-Mex BBQ. 

That’s 3 hours in the wrong direction. My regular bank card cracked so I only have my credit card with its $200 limit and $100 in cash to make it back home with. 

1 minute ago, D82 said:

That’s 3 hours in the wrong direction. My regular bank card cracked so I only have my credit card with its $200 limit and $100 in cash to make it back home with. 

I...am completely triggered by this. Do you swipe you debit card in places? Mine never leaves the house. Using debit cards is tantamount to hating money, rewards, & perks. 

1 minute ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

I...am completely triggered by this. Do you swipe you debit card in places? Mine never leaves the house. Using debit cards is tantamount to hating money, rewards, & perks. 

It has a chip and I’ve got it synced with ApplePay...but not every place has a card reader that accepts those two forms, some you still need to swipe it, at least where I’m from.

Just now, D82 said:

It has a chip and I’ve got it synced with ApplePay...but not every place has a card reader that accepts those two forms, some you still need to swipe it, at least where I’m from.

::rubs temples::

Okay. I am firmly - staunchly - anti-using debit card. It makes zero sense and adds little value.

1. Does not help your credit score in any way.
  2. Does not offer you any rewards / cashback / points.

I see no value - at all - with debit cards.

I always highly recommend people review their monthly spending habits and breakdown what % they spend on what.

• Dining / Ordering Out / Entertainment (movies, bowling etc).
  • Groceries.
  • Gas.
  • Monthly Subscription Services.
  • Etc.

Once you KNOW what you spend and what you frequent, you know how best to maximize your cards.

Let's dive deep. Let's say you spend $100 on grocery every week. If you use your debit card you have spent 100 bucks and the convo stops there. But if you use a rewards card, you can get 5% back. Now you may be prompted to say the following.

• But the interest means I lose out on money.
    • STOP being a schmuck. If you are using your debit card, that means you HAVE the money. Pay off your credit card before the interest hits. So you lose NOTHING and gain SOMETHING.
  • But 5% or less isn't even that much.
    • ...while true...IT IS STILL MORE THAN NOTHING. And that adds up. My Amazon Card give me 5% back on all Amazon Purchases. By the years end, I use all those savings as my gift-budget. I get to buy a TON and it cost me nothing.
  • IDK man, I am still not convinced.
    • Okay, let's talk fraud. How nice of a bank do you have? You happy there? You ever have someone steal your identity and use your card? How much of a headache was getting your money back?
    • ...meanwhile, the process is MUCH simpler with a Credit Card. With the added bonus of not hurting your bank account while your case is resolved. 
  • What if I don't use a cash back card, what benefit do I even get?
    • Well your main squeeze lives several states away, right? How about a free round trip? Maybe 20 cents off on gas? Any of those sound beneficial? 
  • Okay...anything else I should know?
    • Yes! You ever need to dispute a charge? Same thing like fraud. Much easier to do so with a CC than a DC. 

So. Help yourself. Build your credit. Get rewards. And never use your debit card again.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

• Like 1

The debit card goes through my bank. I’m not opposed to doing what you suggested, but my credit is **** right now - hence why I got the secured credit card I have now. My score has improved since I got it, but it’s still not great enough to get a better card at the moment.

25 minutes ago, D82 said:

The debit card goes through my bank. I’m not opposed to doing what you suggested, but my credit is **** right now - hence why I got the secured credit card I have now. My score has improved since I got it, but it’s still not great enough to get a better card at the moment.

If your Credit is flaming hot garbage, then one easy step you COULD use to improve is through Credit Card usage. 

1 minute ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

If your Credit is flaming hot garbage, then one easy step you COULD use to improve is through Credit Card usage. 

Right, hence the secured card. But getting more than one usually isn’t a good idea, correct?

1 minute ago, D82 said:

Right, hence the secured card. But getting more than one usually isn’t a good idea, correct?

Secured Card with no benefits? No having more than one isn't valuable at all. 

But once you are past the secured card phase you should have several (accounts as a whole, not just cards). 

But you gotta put in that leg work. EACH and EVERY time you want to swipe your debit card, swipe the secured instead and just pay it off. Rinse & repeat.

I forget, do you own a car? If you don't look into a used car over a new one. I have no idea why, but used cars help build your credit faster. 

Just now, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Secured Card with no benefits? No having more than one isn't valuable at all. 

But once you are past the secured card phase you should have several (accounts as a whole, not just cards). 

But you gotta put in that leg work. EACH and EVERY time you want to swipe your debit card, swipe the secured instead and just pay it off. Rinse & repeat.

I forget, do you own a car? If you don't look into a used car over a new one. I have no idea why, but used cars help build your credit faster. 

I do get some cash back benefits with this one. 

I do have a used vehicle I’m making payments on. 

Just now, D82 said:

I do get some cash back benefits with this one. 

I do have a used vehicle I’m making payments on. 

Good. Good. This is very good. 4 months from now you should have a decent increase. But shoot your debit card into the sun (keep it at home safe and sound) and focus on JUST the credit card.

Des I had a 525 credit score in 2014. I got a $200 limit cap1 platinum. That’s what started it all. Remember to abide by the 10% credit utilization rule as much as possible. Meaning, if your limit is $200 you should only spend $20 a month on it. Card companies don’t want you maxing them out every month even if you pay them off. But spending nothing is just as bad. 10% is the sweet spot. My credit score is 758 as of this post. I have several cards, and my revolving credit limit is ~60k. And it only took like 3 or 4 years, with no crazy increase on my income.

Edited by DaBoys