D82

TACT XX: One X Short Of A Good Time - Thanks Corona

15 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I do! I've been in Houston for more than 7 years now.

Well ****. We're practically neighbors now. 

11 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I’m competing in my first triathlon on Sunday, the 70.3 Half Ironman in Galveston. Hoping to finish in under 7 hours. Wish me luck! 

Half ironman.....what's the lowdown on that?  Gotta be something like a 13mi run, 1mi swim and 60-ish mi. bike ride?   

You're a sick puppy. 

Good luck.

10 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Half ironman.....what's the lowdown on that?  Gotta be something like a 13mi run, 1mi swim and 60-ish mi. bike ride?   

You're a sick puppy. 

Good luck.

1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, 13.1 mile run

Working from home during the pandemic has given me a lot of time to train. I save at least 2 hours a day between getting ready and commuting to/from the office, and I can also work out during my lunch break because getting sweaty doesn’t really matter.

My main concern is the open water swim. I can do the distance in a lap pool without problem, but I’ve only trained in the open water a couple of times, and never surrounded by other people.

Also, the wind in Galveston could make the bike ride a real grind. Hopefully conditions are relatively calm.

3 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I do! I've been in Houston for more than 7 years now.

Why did I think you lived on the east coast?!?

3 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Working from home during the pandemic has given me a lot of time to train. I save at least 2 hours a day between getting ready and commuting to/from the office, and I can also work out during my lunch break because getting sweaty doesn’t really matter.

My main concern is the open water swim. I can do the distance in a lap pool without problem, but I’ve only trained in the open water a couple of times, and never surrounded by other people.

Also, the wind in Galveston could make the bike ride a real grind. Hopefully conditions are relatively calm.

They're calling for good weather here Sunday. Mid-70s and sunny...though it is supposed to rain Saturday so could be a bit windy. 

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

Why did I think you lived on the east coast?!?

Albuquerque > Phoenix > Houston ... never lived on the east coast

1 hour ago, D82 said:

They're calling for good weather here Sunday. Mid-70s and sunny...though it is supposed to rain Saturday so could be a bit windy. 

Been checking the wind, it looks like it will be a problem. It should be at my back for the first half, so I should really fly until I have to turn around and come back.

2020 can stop being so ****ty. S.O.'s parents house caught on fire yesterday due to their Expedition suddenly catching on fire. Everybody got out safe, but still. 

On 11/17/2020 at 9:37 AM, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Nevermind, it got cancelled this morning. Boo

52 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Nevermind, it got cancelled this morning. Boo

Covid?

The people who design cars should be punched in the throat. It’s beyond stupid to have to take off tire and wheel well cover to change a damn light bulb. 🤬

1 hour ago, D82 said:

Covid?

Yeah, but so ridiculous. Yesterday they sent out an "Athlete Guide" and less than 24 hours later they cancel it. Not having this figured out before people actually started showing up for the weekend is insane. I just spent a bunch of money to get my bike tuned up and components replaced. I bought all of my nutrition stuff for race day. 

This is like the 5th time they've had to cancel a race less than 72 hours beforehand. You'd think they'd learned a lesson about how to not get blindsided by a cancellation, or set up systems so that racing could happen even during a spike, but I guess not.

They are offering "FREE deferrals!" (how generous) and not refunds, if that should tell you all you need to now about Ironman as an org.

16 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Yeah, but so ridiculous. Yesterday they sent out an "Athlete Guide" and less than 24 hours later they cancel it. Not having this figured out before people actually started showing up for the weekend is insane. I just spent a bunch of money to get my bike tuned up and components replaced. I bought all of my nutrition stuff for race day. 

This is like the 5th time they've had to cancel a race less than 72 hours beforehand. You'd think they'd learned a lesson about how to not get blindsided by a cancellation, or set up systems so that racing could happen even during a spike, but I guess not.

They are offering "FREE deferrals!" (how generous) and not refunds, if that should tell you all you need to now about Ironman as an org.

Yeah, it's crap.

They're starting to shut down dog shows in other states and I'm worried they're going to do it here too. 

I'm thinking the SO is the one. Told him my darkest secret and he was totally cool with it. 

47 minutes ago, D82 said:

I'm thinking the SO is the one. Told him my darkest secret and he was totally cool with it. 

You are secretly hetro? Its 2020, we will all accept you.