Who is the biggest surprise/reach in the 1st round?

Ragnarok

We've seen a lot of reaches in the first round.  While QBs are typically the biggest target of a reach(Ponder and Bortles for example), we have also seen guys like Tytus Howard, Rashaad Penny, and Terrell Edmunds surprisingly go in the first in recent years to guys like Tyson Alualu going in the top ten a few years ago.  

Which team is most likely to panic and reach for a prospect?  Both QB and non-QB?

Which 2nd/3rd round prospect is most likely to get taken in the first?

Eason is a QB option.  He has every physical tool but is so raw.  However, I could see a team getting desperate and taking him in the first.  

I think Chase Claypool is a possibility for a non-QB.  Not saying he is a bad prospect, but he isn't a first rounder in this class, is more of a HWS prospect, and got no 1st round hype until the combine.

The team I could see reaching(aside from the Seahawks who always reach) would be the Falcons.  If Henderson and Kinlaw are gone, I could see them reaching for a lesser defensive prospect at a position of need.  They did the same last year in trying to fix their OL.

3 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

I feel like Denzel Mims could go a lot higher than expected. I think there’s a strong possibility he’s the 4th receiver taken and could possibly go top 20 (Raiders at 19 if they pass on receiver early). 

Mims should be the 4th WR taken. That's where most expect him to go at this point. Either him or Justin Jefferson will be the 4th WR taken. I'd personally rather have Mims.

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 1

Alton Robinson is a guy I could see a team in the 20's or 30's taking. The EDGE class is pretty weak, and Robinson has tools in spades. Long, fast, bendy, strong, quick, explosion, you name it, and this guy probably has it on his tool belt. Outside of those first four guys (Young, Chassion, Gross-Matos, and Baun), it's really up in the air about who goes where for EDGE. 

Carter Coughlin is another guy who I see ranked in the 6-7th rounds of drafts, and he's going to go at latest fourth. He's not as twitchy as people would like, but he has burst, explosiveness, speed, and good length for a 3-4OLB role. 

Logan Wilson is another guy who I think will sneak into the 2nd round. Does everything very well, and has plus athleticism. He is a little tight in his hips, but he should be able to cover TE's pretty effectively thanks to his size, speed, and instincts. 

Edited by YogiBiz

10 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

We've seen a lot of reaches in the first round.  While QBs are typically the biggest target of a reach(Ponder and Bortles for example), we have also seen guys like Tytus Howard, Rashaad Penny, and Terrell Edmunds surprisingly go in the first in recent years to guys like Tyson Alualu going in the top ten a few years ago.  

Penny and Alualu are great examples, but I don't think Bortles particularly fits here. He was a bust in Jax, but nobody was shocked when he was drafted highly, let alone in the first round.

I think Denzel Mims could surprise some people and sneak into the 1st round.

36 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Claypool is an interesting one that could happen but I see him going in the Mid-Late 2nd. 

I don’t know if this one counts but I see a team reaching on Marlon Davidson in the 25-32 range. He’s a 2nd Round talent all day long. 

This is why it's so hard to pick reaches right now. You have to go against the logic in your head for where guys should be going. The point is that it's surprising on draft day.

Pundits are overthinking Delpit. Prospects like CJ Henderson, Andrew Thomas and Delpit - all of them were regarded excellent prospects for years until some minor flaws were discovered after digging very deep into their tape. At some point in the next weeks said prospects will rise again because - at the end of the day - they are excellent players on the field. CJ Henderson actually got said pump in recent days, with Jeremiah touting him as a possible top 10 pick. When it's all said and done, Thomas and Henderson will go top 15 and make their teams very happy. Can't imagine Delpit falling out of round 1. If he falls though, he should be the 1st overall pick on day 2 without a doubt imo.

• Like 3