Seven Seeds

Shady Slim

so now a big change the owners were pushing for seven seeds is properly approved, i'm sure that most of you have read articles of "what would the playoffs look like for the past decade with seven seeds", and most of the time it's a decidedly mediocre team getting the nod, except for that one time with the bears

my question is, how long do we think it'll be before a seven seed makes some noise in the playoffs? if they do, and knock off a two seed, how much of the "this system is stupid bring back the old system" discourse would come of it? is this a change that we think is permanent, or will it get shown to be silly and be repealed? what do we think

The difference between a 6th seed and a 7th seed isn't that significant and depending on coaching it really doesn't matter. 

But it depends on the year/actual team play to judge how this will do long term.

I'd say compare the past 10 years worth of 6th seeds for an average guess as to how they'll perform.

The last 10 years you'd have the 7 seed be 

10 - 10-6

11- 9-7

12 - 10-6

13 - 10-6

14 - 10-6

15 - 10-6

16 - 9-7

17 - 9-7

18 - 9-6-1

19 - 9-7

Now I still hate it, it makes the regular season much less interesting and to compensate for losing the 2nd bye but there now being two more playoff spots open you'll just see teams with the 2nd or 3rd seed take "quasi-byes" where they rest everybody they can rest for the last 2 weeks of the year. It's not gonna be fun.

• Like 3

Owners don't actually care of that 7th seed win any games, all owners care about was gaining those additional 2 playoff games for the $.

No this will not go away, in the future, an 8th seed and no bye, will be incorporated IMO

Edited by CriminalMind
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Owners don't actually care of that 7th seed win any games, all owners care about was gaining those additional 2 playoff games for the $.

No this will not go away, in the future, an 8th seed and no bye, will be incorporated IMO

Shouldn't that be all we care about too?  More playoff football sounds fun.

I feel pretty confident that we would have beaten the Packers, even in Lambeau.

This is a good compromise with the "top 6" argument. Almost every year, at least one of the 4 seeds is barely playoff caliber. This allows for the top 6 teams to almost always make the playoffs.

4 hours ago, theJ said:

Shouldn't that be all we care about too?  More playoff football sounds fun.

It makes the regular season mean a little less, which is why I don't like this rule. The season means more when a team that looked like it could make a mini-run gets left out because of some key regular season losses.

My team, the Ravens, was the "7th seed" 2 of the last 4 years and it definitely made the regular season matter. When Antonio Brown stretched at the 1 yard line on that Christmas to eliminate the Ravens in 2017 it was was a big play. The following year on week 17 when Andy Dalton threw that long TD on 4th and 12 to eliminate the Ravens and send Buffalo into the playoffs and a huge celebration, it was a big moment. The next year on week 17, the Steelers were watching and rooting for Mayfield and the Browns to do the exact same thing, but CJ Mosley saved the Ravens and sent the Steelers home. These are moments that make the NFL regular season far superior to other sports where you shouldn't really care. Literally none of those moments would have really mattered with the new rule.

With 14 teams making the playoffs, every reasonably playoff-viable team should be able to coast in. There shouldn't be many significant seasons that end in the regular season.

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

It makes the regular season mean a little less, which is why I don't like this rule. The season means more when a team that looked like it could make a mini-run gets left out because of some key regular season losses.

My team, the Ravens, was the "7th seed" 2 of the last 4 years and it definitely made the regular season matter. When Antonio Brown stretched at the 1 yard line on that Christmas to eliminate the Ravens in 2017 it was was a big play. The following year on week 17 when Andy Dalton threw that long TD on 4th and 12 to eliminate the Ravens and send Buffalo into the playoffs and a huge celebration, it was a big moment. The next year on week 17, the Steelers were watching and rooting for Mayfield and the Browns to do the exact same thing, but CJ Mosley saved the Ravens and sent the Steelers home. These are moments that make the NFL regular season far superior to other sports where you shouldn't really care. Literally none of those moments would have really mattered with the new rule.

With 14 teams making the playoffs, every reasonably playoff-viable team should be able to coast in. There shouldn't be many significant seasons that end in the regular season.

That doesn't eliminate the moments. It just shifts them from the 6th to the 7th seeds. 

It also will eliminate #1&2 seeds from resting players in week 17, which is also good. 

I don't buy the argument. 

24 minutes ago, theJ said:

That doesn't eliminate the moments. It just shifts them from the 6th to the 7th seeds. 

It also will eliminate #1&2 seeds from resting players in week 17, which is also good. 

I don't buy the argument. 

What stops a team that’s locked into a 2/3/4 seed, but can’t attain the 1 seed, from resting the last week-2 weeks of the season? 

Knowing they won’t get a bye (especially the 2 seed) but will still get a first round game at home will cause a lot more teams to rest the final week/s IMO.

Especially projected 2 seeds who previously would have gotten that bye week. They’ll almost assuredly be resting week 17 now.

This is just a stepping stone to there being 16 playoff teams as well, which is just idiotic, it cheapens it. This isn't the other big-3 where these teams play a series of games to trend out a winner, with 16 teams playing "win or go home" games you've just made the regular season basically meaningless. Which is an issue in all the other sports here. The regular season becomes nothing more than an annoying formality that people stop caring about 8 games in.

Edited by Thelonebillsfan