Chris Thompson

SeanTaylorsaPIMP

Since Chris Thompson had a breakout game last week, I figured it was time to give him his own topic. On the Perine thread, posters have been arguing on how best to use him. Some think that we should make him our starting RB with 20+ carries a game while others (myself included) agree with Gruden's method of keeping him healthy and fresh by monitoring his touches. Where does everyone stand on him? Can he be a Warrick Dunn type of RB, small but able to handle 200+ carries? or do we keep him as our specialty back and only use him in certain situations? I personally think the more we use him, the less effective he will be. He will get run down and teams will be able to scheme against him with more success since he will have more tape to show them. I personally like the Thunder and Lighting aspect he gives as a change of pace back. I also worry about his injury history. He has not always been the most durable back dating back to college.

By the way, do you guys realize that we actually cut him in 2014?? What a great success story he has been so far! Goes to show you how far he has come in his 4th season in the league. Proud to call him my adoptee!

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/137941/washington-redskins-cut-three-rbs

On September 21, 2017 at 7:47 PM, SeanTayorsaPIMP said:

Since Chris Thompson had a breakout game last week, I figured it was time to give him his own topic. On the Perine thread, posters have been arguing on how best to use him. Some think that we should make him our starting RB with 20+ carries a game while others (myself included) agree with Gruden's method of keeping him healthy and fresh by monitoring his touches. Where does everyone stand on him? Can he be a Warrick Dunn type of RB, small but able to handle 200+ carries? or do we keep him as our specialty back and only use him in certain situations? I personally think the more we use him, the less effective he will be. He will get run down and teams will be able to scheme against him with more success since he will have more tape to show them. I personally like the Thunder and Lighting aspect he gives as a change of pace back. I also worry about his injury history. He has not always been the most durable back dating back to college.

By the way, do you guys realize that we actually cut him in 2014?? What a great success story he has been so far! Goes to show you how far he has come in his 4th season in the league. Proud to call him my adoptee!

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/137941/washington-redskins-cut-three-rbs

Warrick Dunn was about the same size and he got around or over 200 carries a year throughout his career except when he was injured a few years. Thompson needs more touches. I don't agree he needs as many as 20 carries but around 10 or slighty above with his usual 4 or 5 receptions a game is what I think is good for him. We need him on the field so he can have a chance to make even more explosive plays.

2 hours ago, Dashing202 said:

He could be our Brian Westbrook who was similar .

That's a good comparison too. For 5 straight years from 2003-2008 Westbrook played in 12-15 games per year and his lowest carry total was 117 his highest was 278.  The most carries he ever averaged in a game in a season was 18.5. For 06, 07 & 08 he averaged 16, 17 and 18 carries per game in those seasons.

I don't think we should try to turn Thompson into a workhouse back, but he does need more touches. Like I've said for the last few years, something like 10-15 carries and 3 to 5 receptions a game.

If I were coach, I'd try it. Just use the raiders game as an example and make Thompson the workhorse just to see what happens. I doubt he gets hurt in that first game but I'd just like to see the results. Use Perine to spell him but make sure he gets 20-25 carries and look at the results.

Thompson is smart, knows where he needs to be on the field and blocks well for his diminutive size. I seriously doubt he's going to get hurt or wear out but for some reason the NFL still thinks if you don't fit a certain mold you can't succeed. It's extremely odd but whatever. 

• 3 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

He's far and away the most talented back we have on the roster. Unfortunately our running scheme and his size make it impossible to pound the rock 25 times a game. 

He got 16 carries last game. We did use some outside s d inside zone for him. He had a few carries in between the tackles but sadly could only muster 33 yards on those 16 carries. The question is, is it the running backs or the OL blocking that was poor yesterday? 

Ill pay attention to what Cooley says and others who break down game film say over the next few days. That should tell us if it’s more the backs or the OL who’s at fault.

As a receiver though, CT has been awesome, which most of his receptions are basically an extension of a hand off so, that’s just as good as it being in the running game.

I’m still upset that Dontae Johnson caught Thompson from behind on his one Long reception. If that’s a TD, it’s a different ball game down the stretch.

Archived