Jump to content

Jordan Love falls to 30  

65 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. You would draft him if?

    • no matter what if he's there at 30 I take him
      10
    • All the top OT, DT and WR are gone
      14
    • you can't find value in a trade
      9
    • Wouldn't take him there under any circumstance
      32

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/02/2020 at 04:00 PM

Recommended Posts

K.  Maybe one never played but was just drafted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

You old enough to remember the three that also played for GB?

Nope

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

 

Here's the Jordan love experience in all of its glory. There's a lot to love here. But there's also a lot that's broken. Without actually sitting down with him and doing the board and the tape work, I don't know how you come away confident. 

That pass at the 1:25 would be a great segway from Rodgers to Love.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

You missed a really tough one and a really easy one.

I had to google it but none of us are old enough to remember the first one! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Golfman said:

I had to google it but none of us are old enough to remember the first one! 

The maybe it is 4?  Wright, Tolzien and the other guy I remembered taken a few years after Wright.  Keyes, I think.

Was there an older one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

The maybe it is 4?  Wright, Tolzien and the other guy I remembered taken a few years after Wright.  Keyes, I think.

Was there an older one?

Arnie Herber

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

I get you want value on a rookie deal but a things;

1. If J Love started for us even 2 years on his rookie deal and was a franchise guy, analytically he’d be worth it considering positional value of QB being 5-10x higher than any other

2. How often do proven low risk core position players move their first contract after a rookie deal? Pretty much never. You can always find tweeter S, plug run stuffing DTs, and guards though.... If given a chance to lock up a premium position you do it 

 

Its a bit of a stretch to say that drafting Jordan Love locks up a premium position. Lots of QB picks fail,  if you are picking one of the left-overs at the end of the first, your odds aren't good at all. Like I said, if they think he is the real deal and a guy who probably should be going first overall or very close to it then sure you go for it. Otherwise no, its a waste of a first round pick to use it on a punt on a QB when you have your guy on a huge contract.  

One of three things probably happen in the next couple of seasons (assuming Covid doesn't wipe the seasons out entirely) :

1. We pick very late in the draft both seasons. In which case that means we are going to the playoffs and in super bowl contention. In that scenario, picking a WR or DL or whatever is going to be a lot more help than drafting a clipboard holder

2. One of the next two seasons goes badly wrong. Maybe Rodgers gets injured or is just bad (sure AG20 who probably thinks the Coronovirus is Rodgers fault would point to this) and we pick early. In that scenario we can pick a QB we want instead of a left-over at the end of the round.

3. Rodgers gets injured and Love takes us to the super-bowl. As a rookie project who plays on a roster dominated by an injured player's contract this is extremely unlikely but possible.

So of those three possible routes, only one (which is by some distance the least likely) favours picking Love. Again this assumes that the head office doesn't have a first overall grade or similar on Love. If on the other hand, he is genuinely the one they want then you go for it and probably even have to consider moving up. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

So of those three possible routes, only one (which is by some distance the least likely) favours picking Love. Again this assumes that the head office doesn't have a first overall grade or similar on Love. If on the other hand, he is genuinely the one they want then you go for it and probably even have to consider moving up. 

 

Yeah, I think for the Packers to take Love he first has to fall to them.  Then he has to be a qb they think has a high ceiling and can eventually become a franchise type qb.  If both of those things are true and he's sitting there at #30 it's a no-brainer for Gute to make that pick.  I don't think they want to part with a ton of draft capital to trade up for a guy who may not play for a few years.  Too much risk if they find out on down the line they made the wrong pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

Neither did Tom Brady at Michigan. 

Someone obviously missed the 2000 Orange Bowl.  We saw flashes of greatness in Brady in that one.  Love never had a game like that.  And Brady wasn’t a part of this dynamic anyway so...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mikemike778 said:

 

Its a bit of a stretch to say that drafting Jordan Love locks up a premium position. Lots of QB picks fail,  if you are picking one of the left-overs at the end of the first, your odds aren't good at all. Like I said, if they think he is the real deal and a guy who probably should be going first overall or very close to it then sure you go for it. Otherwise no, its a waste of a first round pick to use it on a punt on a QB when you have your guy on a huge contract.  

One of three things probably happen in the next couple of seasons (assuming Covid doesn't wipe the seasons out entirely) :

1. We pick very late in the draft both seasons. In which case that means we are going to the playoffs and in super bowl contention. In that scenario, picking a WR or DL or whatever is going to be a lot more help than drafting a clipboard holder

2. One of the next two seasons goes badly wrong. Maybe Rodgers gets injured or is just bad (sure AG20 who probably thinks the Coronovirus is Rodgers fault would point to this) and we pick early. In that scenario we can pick a QB we want instead of a left-over at the end of the round.

3. Rodgers gets injured and Love takes us to the super-bowl. As a rookie project who plays on a roster dominated by an injured player's contract this is extremely unlikely but possible.

So of those three possible routes, only one (which is by some distance the least likely) favours picking Love. Again this assumes that the head office doesn't have a first overall grade or similar on Love. If on the other hand, he is genuinely the one they want then you go for it and probably even have to consider moving up. 

 

Well for starters, I personally would put Love above Herbert, and thinks he has as much potential as any QB in the draft (better arm talent/athlete than both Burrow/Tua). I'm in the minority, but I would consider a trade up for him. When it comes to QB, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Outside of Lawrence, there isn't a generational prospect coming out. Love has legit tools

As far as your scenarios

1. Its a fair point. I will say though, stud positional players move the needle like by a point (if you follow lines). Locking down QB is so important. People said the same thing in 2005. Packer fans wanted Brodney Pool or Roddy White. 

2. This kind of goes with my first statement. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. QB is a rare position that has such a more significant impact than others. There are like 6 elite QBs. There are drafts without quality starters. There is only 1 Jordan Love. we might not get a chance to get a prospect Gute likes as much as Love in the draft

3. Rodgers getting hurt is not out of the questions (2 of our last 3 years). We really do need an injury hedge. We could also move off Rodgers if we really wanted to if Love showed out ( dead cap hits if cut/traded - 30M dead cap 2021, 17 22, 3 23). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I'm not mistaken Utah State lost 9 of 11 offensive starters headed into the 2019 season ---  Love and his LT being the only holdovers.    If Love had played with any continuity 2018-2019 I don't think there's even a conversation that begins with the possibility of him being there at #30.   This is Utah State - not Alabama where you can replace a Calvin Ridley with a Jerry Jeudy or any # of 5* recruits waiting in the pipeline.    There is a symbiotic relationship between QB and surrounding talent that allows everyone to succeed and I think Love was forced into uncomfortable situations with lesser surrounding talent and his numbers regressed accordingly.   

2018 Joe Burrow is barely draftable, 2019 is #1 overall.    Part of that is on him and part on the offensive talent and offensive system surrounding him.   2018 Love is helium and 2019 regresses without surrounding talent

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

WOW! Talk about division! The board is virtually tied over 'wouldn't take him at all' 32 votes vs. draft him if circumstances were right, 33 votes. Interesting discussion too! 

Edited by Golfman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a nice topic/thread, Golfman.  Thanks for starting it.

I watched a little film on Love...really disliked the throwing motion.  But he sure can move and has a nice arm.  I'm not overly hung up on the arm motion, because Rodgers had a weird throwing motion at first, too, didn't take too long for him to change it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

2018 Joe Burrow is barely draftable, 2019 is #1 overall.    Part of that is on him and part on the offensive talent and offensive system surrounding him.   2018 Love is helium and 2019 regresses without surrounding talent.

This is a fair criticism. There have been so many franchise QB's that have been able to elevate their team regardless of the talent around them. Jordan Love isn't that guy; ergo, he's not a franchise QB.

 

2 minutes ago, Golfman said:

WOW! Talk about division! The board is virtually tied over 'wouldn't take him at all' 32 votes vs. draft him if circumstances were right, 33 votes. Interesting discussion too! 

It's because Jordan Love is a very polarizing prospect. Great arm and release, but you look at the Bowl game from 2018 and you see inconsistency in short passes, which are crucial in MLF's system, you see Love afraid to tuck it and run when the play falls apart which is problematic, and he overthrows dudes a lot...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Joe said:

This is a fair criticism. There have been so many franchise QB's that have been able to elevate their team regardless of the talent around them. Jordan Love isn't that guy; ergo, he's not a franchise QB.

We're talking Utah State here.  6-2 in conference (losses to a good Boise State #23 and Air Force team #22) and 7-6 overall (including another loss vs #1 LSU)   IS elevating their team.   Over the last 45 years Utah State has had a sub .500 record 32 times and had more than 7 wins in a season 4 times ---- 2012-2014 and they did it for their fourth time in 2018 under Jordan Love ---- the year before he lost 4/5ths of his starting offensive line and every skill position player.  

Edited by Kampfgeist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



×