Jordan Love falls to 30  

65 members have voted

1. 1. You would draft him if?

• no matter what if he's there at 30 I take him
    • All the top OT, DT and WR are gone
    • you can't find value in a trade
    • Wouldn't take him there under any circumstance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/02/2020 at 04:00 PM

On 4/2/2020 at 11:53 AM, thrILL! said:

Someone obviously missed the 2000 Orange Bowl.  We saw flashes of greatness in Brady in that one.  Love never had a game like that.  And Brady wasn’t a part of this dynamic anyway so...

I guess we disagree. 

My point still stands. IF the Packers have a first round grade on Love and the board falls like crap, you trade back. BUT if there is no value in that, You draft your highest rated player. If that’s Love, hell, take him. 

Edited by MantyWrestler
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Here's the Jordan love experience in all of its glory. There's a lot to love here. But there's also a lot that's broken. Without actually sitting down with him and doing the board and the tape work, I don't know how you come away confident. 

I mean, good luck finding a QBOTF without issues that late in the draft.  The quality, ready-to-go ones usually go off the board much earlier.  The question the FO (and the coaching staff) has to ask themselves, do they believe he's got the ability to be a franchise QB?  If the answer is yes, it's a hard thing to ignore.  IF the answer is no, they move on about their day and he's probably not on their board.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Someone double check me, but has there ever been a guy who was significantly worse his final year in college that turned out to be a franchise QB?

Brett Favre, of course his was injury related. Dan Marino if memory serves me correctly. Jim Kelly, but he was injured in his senior year. I want to say Andrew Luck as well due to a lot of graduation, but again memory could fail me on this one. 

The answer is there are probably more than you might think. 

Just now, Golfman said:

Brett Favre, of course his was injury related. Dan Marino if memory serves me correctly. Jim Kelly, but he was injured in his senior year. I want to say Andrew Luck as well due to a lot of graduation, but again memory could fail me on this one. 

The answer is there are probably more than you might think. 

Andrew Luck posted similar numbers in his sophomore and junior years.  And I'm talking about guys who weren't injured.  I'm talking about across the board being significantly worse.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Andrew Luck posted similar numbers in his sophomore and junior years.  And I'm talking about guys who weren't injured.  I'm talking about across the board being significantly worse.

Again, I'm guessing there are several we haven't thought of. Nothing comes to mind other than what I mentioned. Marino, I went and checked which is why he slide down so far in round 1.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/dan-marino-1.html 

Edited by Golfman

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Bart Starr

Joe Theismann

Warren Moon

Otto Graham

Dante Culpeper

Terry Bradshaw

Jim Plunkett (didn't even go to college)

Franco Harris

Etc.

8 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

I've barely watched any QB in this class so I can't speak on him, but in terms of getting a QB in general early I would rather get a guy who can help us this year, next year I'm fine with us taking a swing at a QB. 

I guess my problem with that theory is you might not have one available to you depending on depth of class and where you draft. IF the Packers feel Jordan Love is a franchise QB and IF he's there at 30, I think you have to get him. The bad organizations who said, 'wait until next year to get our QB,' are drafting early very year. 

That's just my opinion and there is merit in thinking we get somebody who can help out now to 'get us over the hump!'

• Like 1

On 4/2/2020 at 8:05 AM, Golfman said:

I kind of disagree with this. Tom Brady was screwed at Michigan because Lloyd Carr promised a kid from Brighton, MI, Drew Henson he'd be the starter as a freshman if he went to Michigan. Henson also played baseball and eventually went to the Yankees and couldn't hit a curve ball. Signed with the Cowboys and was Romo's back up for a few years.

Henson would start the game, Michigan would fall behind and Brady would come in and win the game. Brady was terrific as a senior at Michigan. 

Yes, Brady showed in his senior year he was a winner so you have to wonder why so many teams passed on him in that draft.  It was probably because you can't measure heart.  He wasn't very impressive in the combine so that might have contributed to teams passing on him.  College scouting is an exact science at best.

1 hour ago, Golfman said:

I guess my problem with that theory is you might not have one available to you depending on depth of class and where you draft. IF the Packers feel Jordan Love is a franchise QB and IF he's there at 30, I think you have to get him. The bad organizations who said, 'wait until next year to get our QB,' are drafting early very year. 

That's just my opinion and there is merit in thinking we get somebody who can help out now to 'get us over the hump!'

How many teams felt Rodgers was a franchise QB in 2005 but passed because they felt they didn't need one?  MN is a prime example.  They had 2 shots at AR but passed because they had Culpepper.  Is Love a future franchise QB?  Nobody knows for sure.

But back to the question.  It will depend upon how the draft goes and who is available at #30.  IF Love is the BPA then it might be prudent to take him even tho we have an elite QB already on the roster.  GMs should be drafting for the future as much as the present.  

17 hours ago, Kampfgeist said:

We're talking Utah State here.  6-2 in conference (losses to a good Boise State #23 and Air Force team #22) and 7-6 overall (including another loss vs #1 LSU)   IS elevating their team.   Over the last 45 years Utah State has had a sub .500 record 32 times and had more than 7 wins in a season 4 times ---- 2012-2014 and they did it for their fourth time in 2018 under Jordan Love ---- the year before he lost 4/5ths of his starting offensive line and every skill position player.  

I get the argument about losing all that talent, but I'm looking at his completion pct's from 2018 and he only goes over 70% a handful of times against inferior opponents. If he's there at 62 I'd pull the trigger, but definitely not at 30.

19 minutes ago, Joe said:

I get the argument about losing all that talent, but I'm looking at his completion pct's from 2018 and he only goes over 70% a handful of times against inferior opponents. If he's there at 62 I'd pull the trigger, but definitely not at 30.

I think the percentage is less than 50% he's there at 30. I give him 0% chance of being there at 62. Stranger things have happened. He's got too much upside IMO to fall out of round 1. I could see teams drafting early in round 2 trying to get back in the late 20's so they can get the fifth year on the kid if he's still there. 

I'd say it's less than a 2% chance we have a shot at him unless we moved up. I am not for moving up and giving up additional draft capital to get him.