Jordan Love falls to 30  

65 members have voted

1. 1. You would draft him if?

• no matter what if he's there at 30 I take him
    • All the top OT, DT and WR are gone
    • you can't find value in a trade
    • Wouldn't take him there under any circumstance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/02/2020 at 04:00 PM

2 hours ago, JBURGE said:

People are going to point out Rodgers here, but with the rookie wage scale, it won't happen again.

I have a hard time passing on him if they think he is a franchise guy. But with our team right now and what we did in FA, we need the help from a day 1 player

The draft isn't necessarily about getting the guy who will impact your team the most day one, but about your long term core. Call me a homer I don't think our immediate needs are really that bad (Rover S, run stuffing DL, #2 WR). There are still plug FA DTs that can be had cheap, we could manage with Cambpell/Savage, and WR we could get R2/3.

Having a starting QB on a rookie deal is a massive advantage which is part of why QBs are drafted so highly - you are paying a premium for the possibility you hit the jackpot which gives you the competitive edge in building a potential championship roster. Aaron Rodgers contract means that any rookie QB isn't going to get that starting job for a number of years so most of the value of drafting a QB is gone. Unless something crazy happens (like there is a guy you think should be going number 1 is there at 30) it just seems a terrible idea to me. 

The comparisons to Rodgers don't really make any sense either - Rodgers was legitimately tipped to go number one overall.  The equivalent this year would be if Joe Burrow drooped to 30. In which case the value is so insane that basically you have to take him - basically what happened with Rodgers.

So unless they think Love is an elite talent and the best QB in the draft, definitely not , regardless of who is off the board.

6 hours ago, Golfman said:

Might be the most compelling reason of all to pull the hypothetical trigger. Is a better Aaron Rodgers worth losing that guy in round 1 who could potentially help?

When was the last time extra motivated Aaron Rodgers played well?

1 minute ago, pacman5252 said:

The draft isn't necessarily about getting the guy who will impact your team the most day one, but about your long term core. Call me a homer I don't think our immediate needs are really that bad (Rover S, run stuffing DL, #2 WR). There are still plug FA DTs that can be had cheap, we could manage with Cambpell/Savage, and WR we could get R2/3.

These days, the draft is mainly about getting talented players on rookie deals. Opening up cap space to sign other players. You only control a player for 4 years after that they are free to sign for anyone. You want as much value in those 4 years as possible.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Golfman said:

How big is our first round board compared to what some are projecting as first rounders? Meaning how many of the so called 1st rounders don't fit what we do and are not on our board. It is said, Bellichich has the smallest board in football come draft time. I read one year where he only had something like 30 guys on his board. That may be a bit of an exaggeration but you get the point. 

And who knows! Jordan Love may not be on our board either! 

We’ll sure. He might not but if he we do have a 1st round grade on him, why pass?  Stud QB’s are like unicorns. If you find one take him. What if you take him and he balls out the next 2 years? You can turn that 30th pick into multiple 1st.

Couple years ago I loved Russel Wilson. Thought he was worth a high round pick, even for us since we needed a backup. He was awesome right out of the gates. What if Love were to do that for us?

Like I said, this depends on how our board falls but if he’s our pick I’ll bet they either loved him (pun intended) or the board was trashed with no out. 

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If people thought he was a 10 year starter and all those things, he wouldn't be available at 30.

People didn’t think Aaron Rogers was who he was either but he was there at 26. Bad argument. With this logic, we shouldn’t have taken him. 

10 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

People didn’t think Aaron Rogers was who he was either but he was there at 26. Bad argument. With this logic, we shouldn’t have taken him. 

Unless Aaron has been attempting to stromg arm the organization with threats of retirement and I haven't heard about it, I'm not going to call those situations comparable.

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Unless Aaron has been attempting to stromg arm the organization with threats of retirement and I haven't heard about it, I'm not going to call those situations comparable.

Oh, so now where changing the argument. I thought we were talking about the talent of Love as a 10 year starter not the Rogers/Favre situation.

Same goes for me. Rogers hasn’t been the player he was a few years back and with how the McCarthy situation went who knows how Rogers will react if we/he Take a step back next year in this offense. 

Fwiw, I hope Love is there at #30 so that the Packers can trade down with somebody who wants him. If Gute can accrue about 4 picks in rounds 2 & 3 through trade downs and trade ups, we could hopefully address some holes with sufficient prospects (e.g., Dline, OT, WR, CB/S).

• Like 1

Let's not forget, someone has to teach someone like Love to take snaps under center, learn multiple dropback steps, and transform his throwing motion, etc etc. Who is that gonna be ? Getsy ? MLF ? Is there anything in place to be successful ? Is there a track record ?

1 hour ago, MantyWrestler said:

We’ll sure. He might not but if he we do have a 1st round grade on him, why pass?  Stud QB’s are like unicorns. If you find one take him. What if you take him and he balls out the next 2 years? You can turn that 30th pick into multiple 1st.

When is he going to "ball out"?  Preseason?  Regular season?

If it is preseason, teams likely aren't giving up a lot as it is VC regular season that matters most.

If it is regular season, that means Rodgers either sucked or got hurt, in either scenario,  no reason to trade him

1 hour ago, MantyWrestler said:

Couple years ago I loved Russel Wilson. Thought he was worth a high round pick, even for us since we needed a backup. He was awesome right out of the gates. What if Love were to do that for us?

Like I said, this depends on how our board falls but if he’s our pick I’ll bet they either loved him (pun intended) or the board was trashed with no out. 

No OTAs, abbreviated or no offseason, limited coaching and development time. He won't be ready to serve in a back-up role
For 2020, it makes less than zero sense. I ran it through the ciphering machine and it came out at negative eleventy million.

12ede7392c2886a0d1356c3bd300af8f.jpg

Plus, IF Love were that good, he'd either be snapped up OR we'd have a bevy of nice offers at 30 so teams can get the 5th year out of him.
That's the better value play here, trade the pick. No risk and an instant reward