FFMD II ‘20 - Detroit Lions Front Office

TL-TwoWinsAway

1 minute ago, BigC421/ said:

If someone offers a 2nd i would have to take it.  He’s a 1 year rental at this point.  We’d still be good at wr and our rookie would now get more reps but still not be asked to come in and to much.  Finishing with a strong draft this year while adding extra 2nd and 3rd rd picks next season sounds good to me

We'd be relying on

KG, Amendola, Aiyuk, Geronimo, M. Hall, T. Fulgham

as our receiving corp - one really good player, a guy on the wrong side of 30 and a rookie. I'm not hating on Danny, he played awesome and I hope he's as good this year. He's just going to drop off eventually and I hope that we have someone to fill in the gap. We can't rely on a rookie WR - anything he does is a bonus. Hall has shown flashes but in limited snaps and Fulgham is a late round guy still in development. 

Jones or a player of similar caliber eliminates a lot of the question marks that this group has. He's a reliable starter that has chemistry with our QB. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Any interest in moving Marvin Jones Jr. for a future pick? It could look good: we get something from him instead of just losing him to FA and seem to have a few WRs that can compete this year.

The second round pick for Jones is a shiny thing.  It would hurt this team this year.  I'm not trusting a rookie to fill Jones' shoes and it slightly undoes what was accomplished by adding Aiyuk.  I would be against it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

We'd be relying on

as our receiving corp - one really good player, a guy on the wrong side of 30 and a rookie. I'm not hating on Danny, he played awesome and I hope he's as good this year. He's just going to drop off eventually and I hope that we have someone to fill in the gap. We can't rely on a rookie WR - anything he does is a bonus. Hall has shown flashes but in limited snaps and Fulgham is a late round guy still in development. 

Jones or a player of similar caliber eliminates a lot of the question marks that this group has. He's a reliable starter that has chemistry with our QB. 

Yeah, fair point. Unless we were blown away, I don't see it making too much sense.

Just now, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Yeah, fair point. Unless we were blown away, I don't see it making too much sense.

You trade for a guy like Corey Davis, John Ross, Christian Kirk or other younger guys with similar or cheaper cap hits and 1 year + left on contract and it's a different story. 

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

We'd be relying on

Fair points I’m guessing we just have fundamental differences regarding where this team is at and what’s the best route to building a SuperBowl championship caliber team.  I don’t think this team is anywhere close to that right now. They can be 8-8 with or without Marvin Jones.  I’ll take 4 years of a potential top 50 player in next years class on a cheap rookie deal over 1 year of an aging Jones. I’m not advocating throwing the season away or trading him for a 5th rd pick. If someone offers a 2nd that’s a done deal to good to pass. If someone offers a 3rd it should be seriously considered.

Theres also no guarantee Jones is better than Auyik by seasons end. Jones is getting up there and he’s more likely to fall of a cliff than he is to suddenly be a boarder line pro bowler.  

I think we still need to build a foundation not shoot our wad

So: we're 14 picks away from our next pick, #85, which is on the clock tomorrow (Tuesday) at 3:20 P.M. 14 picks isn't all that many.

Louis Friend compiled a list of five players that appeared on three different Big Boards:

43 (Drafted)
82 (Drafted)

Of that list, 140 seems to be a favorite, and 5 appears to be the next player of interest. (133 also seems to fit at the position.)

If we're putting together a master list, in order of interest, how should it look?

Also: right now, we have the following picks remaining.

Pick #85
Pick #185
Pick #186
Pick #198
Pick #228
Pick #236
Pick #252

I'd really like to come up with a "draft game" with our 6th/7th round picks. We currently have 6: I'd like to get that number up to 8. Once at 8, I'd like to randomize the names of our participants, give each member a pick (in that randomized order) and let each person draft their own player in those rounds. I think it would be cool to see if one (or more) of us can land a 'sleeper' in this draft.

• Like 1

I’ve watched 98 and 103. Not a fan of 103. I see why people like him kind of there’s physical talent but he’s a slob. 98 from 2 games has 1st rd feet and 5th rd hands.  Really good balance and foot work just misses with his hands a lot. Noted multiple snaps in pass pro where he’s kick sliding out near perfectly but has his hands hanging completely down his sides and allows guy to get right into him.  I like his upside overall though, wouldn’t be mad with him at 85. 

I also went back and rewatched a coupe games of 5 and 140.  5’s a good player, pretty much what I remember.  I’m actually way more convinced of 140 than ever before though.  I did the bowl game from the jr year and a game from last year.  Bowl game was solid, missed more than few blocks in the run game but was overall pretty good. The game from this past year was a different beast all together however.  Just played with a different confidence all together. Explosive, strong base he’s really an exceptional pass blocker.  Awareness is elite he’s just always going for the right guy.  I’m changing my grade on him to a high 2nd rder personally (pending another game or 2) , I like him better than old 13

Going to check out the Clemson kid and maybe one more before bed

Edited by BigC421/
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I like #5, #17, #65, #140 for that position group. They fit more with our identity and what we're trying to accomplish. #5 especially fits the versatile mode that the FO preaches all about. 

Between the morning feedings, I went and did some sub-sub-amateur scouting at the position and compared those impressions to the last few pages of this thread. This post was one that seemed to jive with a lot of what I came across. There seems to be quite a bit of love out there for 65.

Based on the sentiment in this thread, as well as outside reports, I'm starting to think that the order of 140, 5, 65, 17, 6 makes a lot of sense. Based on what BigC said above, I think that keeps 140 at the top of that list.

There's also another option: we could try and move down a bit and obtain some sort of mid-late 4th in the process. If there's a willing trade partner, and considering the amount of depth here, it may be nice to come away with another piece. That being said, I really wouldn't want to miss out on each of140, 5 and 65. (If we did, we could always go pure BPA in the late 3rd and take 6 in the 4th.)

I'm just rambling at this point.

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway

I’d have no problem trading back a bit at this point.  140 would be my choice but there a handful of guys I could be happy with and maybe we can even land 2 of them.  I mite have gotten a little over excited off 1 dominant game on 140 last night but he’s just so damn steady and ready to plug and play.  65 and 98 have a lot of upside.  Big Mike could even be a guy with huge upside to take a chance on later