Myles Garrett vs. TJ Watt

BlaqOptic

Myles Garrett vs. TJ Watt  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Who's The Better Player/Who Would GMs Take?

• Garrett/Garrett
    • Garrett/Watt
    • Watt/Watt
    • Watt/Garrett

4 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Here you go, take a moment and read. In fact they are not close if you look by pass rushing metrics. By not close, I mean Watt isnt in the same galaxy as Garrett is as a rusher. 

https://trenchwarfare.substack.com/p/introducing-the-true-sack-rate-tsr

995c66aa-b09b-4ff2-a872-aa354b0d6b77_104

200.gif

Yawn.... We already knew Garrett was being blocked more this season because your team is garbage. Doesn't change the fact he's only had 7 pressures in the last 4 games, and isn't having a better season overall.

Edited by BlaqOptic

On 11/17/2020 at 12:54 AM, diamondbull424 said:

Oh I read it. You mentioned how he’s not Derrick Brooks or Brian Urlacher in coverage... but those guys don’t rush the passer half as good as TJ Watt. My point was Watt is an impact player in coverage when you ask him to drop back there. So it’s harder to get a bead on him.

And I didn’t evade the point, which is that MG has superior athleticism and thus can do whatever Watt does. Which means you missed the larger, more complex portion of WHY I posted those gifts and WHY I posted that exact statement. Athleticism does not beget success. Dropping in coverage is a different kind of feel/instinct within the game than rushing the passer. Watt has those instincts. There’s no way to know if MG would have those instincts in coverage until we saw them in game over a sustained period of time.

Which is the extent of my statement, “he can block shots, so he must be an impact/savvy player in coverage.” You know whose probably more freakishly athletic than MG? LeBron James. I guess we should assume that if LeBron played football full time, he’d be a far more dominant pass rusher than MG ever dreamed of being. He’d also be special in coverage to boot. Heck he would probably also be lockdown in man coverage, he made multiple NBA 1st Team All Defensive teams and I’d bet that coverage ability would translate to the football field because of his athleticism. He’s also got fantastic instincts as a basketball player, which means his football instincts would’ve also been elite as well. Plus he dominated football at the HS level as a WR, so he’d be a shoe in to succeed as a pass rusher.

I mean, it makes sense when you think about it....

Confused The Hangover GIF by DraftKings

I know this is s*** posting but part of what makes Myles a freaky athlete is past that crazy vertical.  If you watch the way he can bend around the edge it's insane.  That said I think LeBron could have been a better OLB than TJ Watt if he geared his body towards that starting in high school because he's such a better athlete.  A better DE than Myles?  Probably not because I doubt he can drop his pad level that low.  But LeBron coming around the edge or dropping in coverage would be a PROBLEM.

Now of course it would be a significant break from logical decision making where he'd forego being an all-time great basketball player to play football, then forego being a HOF WR to play defense...and I don't know if he could really hold up in run support/tackling, but I haven't seen either of those things as a knock against Garrett for Watt.

Edited by Rod Johnson
  • Like 1